ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Great Martian War 1913-1917 (2013)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: The Great Martian War 1913-1917 (2013) Reply with quote

This movie came to my attention courtesy of Filmfax #138 (Summer 2014). It first aired on the History Channel in 2013, then on BBC America in July, 2014. I haven't seen it, but I definitely want to, providing I can find it on DVD or streaming. The story re-imagines WW I as H.G. Wells' war between Earth and Mars, combining CGI with re-enacted WW I footage.

A History Channel teaser can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b95Ge1w61YA

More here:
http://www.history.co.uk/shows/the-great-martian-war/videos

And probably the best here:
http://www.rsvlts.com/2014/10/13/great-martian-war-video/

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Mon May 02, 2016 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love what they've done with this wild idea, and I look forward to seeing it.

However, I'll probably have to turn the sound off, because that music that blares out during the clips is slightly less melodic than a cat with it's tail caught in a blender.

Please tell me the actual movie doesn't have the music the clip does. That would be great.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Please tell me the actual movie doesn't have the music the clip does.

Okay. The actual movie doesn't have the music the clip does.

The director of the Vimeo clip posted a specific credit for the music. Here's his response to several negative comments about the music track:

PLAZMA wrote:
Thank you for the positive responses, this clip was at first just intended to be a directing/vfx reel. It seems to have taken on a life of its own which is great. A composer has put together a very different audio track to the footage that i will post soon.

I like the introduction to the clip on The Roosevelts website:

Joe Cucci wrote:
In a continuing effort to guarantee that anyone who watches the channel will not actually learn anything about history, the History Channel has created a "documentary" of the Great Martian War of 1913-1917 that never was.

WayneO
-----------
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading additional commentary on this production I amended my initial post from "...combining CGI with actual WW I footage" to "...combining CGI with re-enacted WW I footage."

I still haven't seen this turn up on Netflix DVD; not even as a future offering.

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really liked the parts I've seen. The Youtube clips are good, but the download for the movie is so warped that the picture and the sound are unwatchable.

There are a few sources online for this film, but they are from sites that are a bit dodgey and require signning up.

I couldn't find it available from Amazon either. It was originally done for the UK and Canadian and may be available on PAL format there. Also, with all the repeats done by the History Channel this one has not shown up since the original showing for some reason.

This post does not go into the plot and other info on the film, so I thought I'd look into it.

The following is edited from various sites including Wikipedia.

THE GREAT MARTIAN WAR 1913 - 1917

Combining period archive materials with state-of-the-art special effects, The Great Martian War 1913–1917 features "previously recorded" interviews with now aging or dead war veterans while looking back at the entire sweep of the interplanetary conflict.

The war begins in the depths of Germany's Bohemian Forest, following a massive explosion and shock wave that is felt by the rest of Europe. Elements of the German army are sent to investigate and are wiped out. The German government makes a panicked appeal for military assistance in fighting what turns out to be a powerful, non-human invading force thought to be from Mars.

As the conflict unfolds, the film showcases the devastation of Western Europe, where a rag-tag human alliance digs in against monstrous Martian fighting machines, unaware that deep flaws exist in their military leadership's central battle strategy. Across the Atlantic, the film outlines the political battle for the White House as president Woodrow Wilson struggles to maintain U. S. neutrality, all the while sending aid to the beleaguered European alliance.

From the skies over central London, where biplanes battle a towering alien tripod, to the war’s catastrophic final act, the Allies, now standing on the brink of total defeat by the alien invaders, must decide if launching an untested and potentially devastating secret weapon is worth risking the lives of millions and causing a global pandemic.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5kH4Obj.jpg/img]

Exploring the war's events are modern historians with opposing views about the conflict's many controversies.

They most especially disagree on an incendiary new discovery by one of them centered around the uncrackable "Martian Code", a vast century old cache of alien documents seized following the conclusion of the war.

These documents now appear to contain the direst of warnings that the war may only be paused, with its second act now unfolding in a way no one can anticipate

A reviewer commented :

"What an audacious, perfectly clever, and perfectly realized project…. The utmost skill and craftsmanship have delivered this merging of faux archival-style (scratched, battered) footage (appearing as though from The Great War) with an endless CGI army of ruthless Titan alien machines.…To my mind, the result was utterly awesome, and 'awesome' is not a word I throw around lightly….

Indeed, the entire film seems authentic, and to have pulled it off so satisfactorily reflects uncommonly well on The Great Martian War’s creative team.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Gord! Very Happy

It still isn't on DVD, as far as I can tell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: