ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flatliners (1990)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Flatliners (1990) Reply with quote

The arrogance of medicinally inclined youth!

I remember coming out the theater after having seen Flatliners in 1990 and being really annoyed. The premise of the story is so superb and was so ripe for a terrifying horror film.

But Flatliners then — and now — is not terrifying. But that actually doesn't matter.

In 1990 some of the more bright young acting prospects were off making Memphis Belle. The other half was made up of potential Brat Packers like Kiefer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, William Baldwin, Oliver Platt and Kevin Bacon, were joining director Joel Schumacher for this delve into life after death experiments.

Here's the plot.

A group of medical students, led by a darkly egotistical Sutherland, begin inducing their own deaths to see what awaits them once the flatline has been reached. This seems great at first, but as the students push the time limits of being dead still further, what comes into their real worlds is actually not welcome.

This movie never close to being frightening, but the thematics involved are chilling and the big message at its heart is loud and clear. At times it's an uneasy blend of supernatural dalliances and medical science — but the breezy cast hold us engaged, while cinematographer Jan de Bont's misty lenses are perfectly in the realm of the ethereal. 7/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one I haven't seen. I'll grab my Netflix Hot Line (it's a red phone, of course) and have them shoot it right out. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I'll grab my Netflix Hot Line (it's a red phone, of course)...

Luvit! Laughing

WayneO
-----------
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with the original post. A great premise, totally wasted. All this neat sci-fi/horror buildup and the payoff is that these guys had guilt about their youthful behavior.

Well, guilt over youthful behavior is decent fodder for a drama. Even I, the nicest guy in the history of the Western world has some schooldays guilt and regret, so I could appreciate that. But it just didn't mesh at all with the basic horror setting. It was a mess.

I saw it the day it opened, very hopeful, then very disappointed. Lotta head-shaking that day.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I'll grab my Netflix Hot Line (it's a red phone, of course) and have them shoot it right out. Very Happy

And I managed to get a photo of the chap who deals with the Netflix dvd-mailing system answering that phone. Well, he does have another job too, but he multi-tasks... Wink

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn, I thought his voice sounded familiar! And he kept calling me "Master Bud". I like the sound of that. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: