ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 3-14-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 3-14-23 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at Brucecook1@yahoo.com.

I found an actual Easter egg in The Time Machine, a hidden message for fans of the movie that the average lunkhead would never spot!

Click on the title below to go to the thread and add a reply.

(This, of course, is how it works for ALL the Featured Threads. Everybody knows that . . . right?) Confused

The Easter Egg in The Time Machine! (<— link)

Years ago I noticed a strange item in this movie. One of the clocks on George's mantle is turned around backwards! Shocked

Instead of the clock's face being in front, we see the backside with all the clockworks. The only part of the pendulum we can see (which should be in front) is a portion of the silver shaft and the lower two-thirds of the silver ball as it swings back and forth behind the mechanism.

The clock shown below is similar to it, although instead of a swinging pendulum, it has four spinning balls. Note that all of the clockwork gears are hidden behind the face.

Bear in mind that this isn't just a single shot of the clock in one scene — it's clearly visible in multiple shots, and always facing backwards!

Here it is again, right between Taylor and Cabot in the first shot below, and then on the far left in the second shot.

So, How could this just be an embarrassing mistakes? Embarassed

Folks, I think this backwards-facing clock — which shows up so many shots — is actually a hidden bit of symbolism, placed there deliberately.

But what does it mean?

I think I know the answer. Cool

All of George's other clocks are normal time pieces which report the passage of time as it moves forward.

But one of the clocks is a symbolic reference to fact that George has invented a machine which can make time run in reverse . . . ergo the backwards clock! Shocked

Not convinced? Well. . . there's more.

In the scene with George and David alone, David pleads with George not to use his time machine.

"If that machine can do what you say it can . . . destroy it, George! Destroy it before it destroys you!"

And during that entire scene (shown below), the pendulum on the backwards-facing clock is NOT swinging! So, the question is, why is not functioning in this one scene alone? Confused

I believe it's supposed to mirror David's plea for George not to use the time machine!

Still not convinced? Okay, consider this next odd bit of evidence.

After David has left, and George writes a quick note to Mrs. Wathett about the upcoming dinner in five days. He crosses the room and places the note on the mantle with the clocks.

Then he heads for the lab to test his time machine for the first time . . . and we can see the pendulum swinging on the backwards-facing clock again!

This is consistent with the fact that George is has decide to test the time machine, in spite of David's warning,. Very Happy

Finally, take a closer look at the mechanism inside the bell jar. I swear, this looks more like advanced technology than simple clockworks. And yet in the movie we do see a pendulum swinging behind the lower area!

Guys, I suppose all this could just be a coincidence. Perhaps none of the film crew nor the cast noticed that a careless stage hand put one of the clocks on the mantle with its face turned towards the wall.

But that doesn't sound very likely does it . . .

Well, rather than dismiss the backwards-facing clock as just an embarrassing blunder, I'd rather interpret it as a clever message for sharp-eyed viewers. A genuine Easter egg in The Time Machine.

I just wish it hadn't taken me 64 years to spot it.
Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: