ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheaper By the Dozen (1950)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Cheaper By the Dozen (1950) Reply with quote

Cheaper By the Dozen was a 20th Century Fox production released on April 5, 1950. It was directed by Walter Lang and the screenplay was by Lamar Trotti.

The movie is autobiographical and based upon the 1948 book written by Ernestine Gilbreth and Frank Bunker Gilbreth, Jr.

The film follows the adventures of the family that is headed by father Frank Bunker Gilbreth, Sr., & his wife Lillian (nee Moller) Gilbreth as they raise their large brood of 12 children in the 1920s.

Frank (Clifton Webb) has his own business as a time & motion efficiency expert. Lilian (Myrna Loy) is a psychologist who works closely with her husband.

The movie shows how the strong minded father & understanding mother deal with raising such a large family.

The film is narrated by eldest daughter Ann, played by Jeanne Crain. She recounts the love and hectic household while growing up. Her father could be unorthodox at times about his approach to life which could cause his children embarrassment and frustration. However, father (with mother's guiding hand) really did know best for the most part. The film has lots of humor to it and is a fun ride with the Gilbreth family. The movie will also break your heart with the ending. You won't be disappointed in this family friendly film that reflects upon a wonderful family with all its challenges.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this very fine review, Mike. I'm a Clifton Webb fan. and shines in this one, as he always does.

The first time I saw it I was surprised that the heart-breaking ending you mentioned did not include a scene with Clifton Webb. We just hear about what happened when the mother and children get the news.

That seemed odd to me.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Bruce?

Are you saying you wanted to see Frank have his fatal heart attack in the phone booth at the train station? I know I did not need to or want to. I felt they handled it just right in the film by having his death occur off screen. It was surprising & very dramatic when one sees the movie for the first time. The scene where the older sisters return home after being summoned and they are greeted by their little brother sobbing and saying, "Our daddy is dead!" is a powerfully heartbreaking moment for me.

While the scene on the phone was poignant, it technically was incorrect. In the film, we see Frank Jr answer the phone. He chats with his dad for a minute, and then calls for his mother to come to the phone to speak with dad while he heads out the door to play baseball with friends. Lilian then picks up the receiver and says Frank, no answer, she repeats herself again, still no answer, finally she is alarmed and yells out his name. End of scene.

As recounted in the novel, Lilian & Frank did actually speak with one another briefly on the phone. She then hears a noise which turns out to be Frank collapsing in the phone booth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: