ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downsizing (2017)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Downsizing (2017) Reply with quote

. . . . . .

Downsizing is not a comedy, contrary to what the title and trailers might suggest. It does have touches of humor early on, but those eventually diminish to a trickle. It's primarily a sci-fi tale with moral messages, so don't expect wall-to-wall belly laughs going in.

The story involves the use of a newly developed miniaturization process that reduces organic subjects to about 7% of their original size. A typical human is reduced to about 5 inches in height.

The intended goal of the technology is to greatly reduce the impact of human population on the resources and environment of the planet. The motivation for submitting to miniaturization is an upgrade in lifestyle due to the reduced cost of living. Idyllic "small cities" in 1/14 scale are established at various locales for the downsized population. But as we well know, any technology can be diverted from its idealistic origins.

One novelty concerning CGI was to reverse its customary use for water in movies. CGI water is normally big waves, frothy ship wakes and bow waves; i.e., "whitewater". This time it's used for smooth water, making boats look like they're floating and cruising in a bathtub.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, you ain't kiddin', Wayne! Shocked

I'd heard that this movie was anything but cheery and fun (to say the least), so I went ahead and read the Wikipedia description of the plot.

Nope, this movie ain't for me. It sounds downright depressing. I'll pass, partly because the whole idea of making the world's population five inches tall has disturbing ramifications. I can think of so many reasons for this being a bad idea, I'm not even tempted to start listing them.

Thanks, for the warning, Wayne. Life is too short to watch movies that bring you "down". Sad

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm constantly on the lookout for movies with lots of flowers, birds, butterflies, and laughing children at the end for ya, Bud! I came up with my own rating code for such movies: "BS", standing for Bud-Safe. Wink

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: