ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living with Imgur

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Living with Imgur Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
orzel-w wrote:
It seems to me that Imgur's Auto resize setting must be re-selected each time you open Imgur to load more images. When I re-open a folder I know I've set previously to Auto-resize to 640px wide, I find that the Auto-resize setting has reverted to "None". I think the resizing works if you make sure to select the setting each time you load images.

I tested your theory and discovered that the "Auto resize" only works when you upload images to the "Image" page (where the "Auto resize" option is located).

I selected 640X480 and then uploaded a 1,000 pixel-wide image directly to the Image page using the green Add Images button in the upper right corner.

The image was successfully resized to 640X480.

But when I went to an album and uploaded the same image, it was NOT resized, and when I went back to the Image page, the "Auto resize" selection was back to None again.

I've yet to figure out how the Add To Album feature works (located just above the "Auto resize" button). I can select an image and cause the green check mark to appear on the thumbnail, but when I select an album to move it to, nothing happens! Shocked

Rather than continuing this discussion in the Forbidden Planet thread, I thought I would start a dedicated Imgur thread.

The Imgur image hosting site has some peculiarities of operation, some of which I've figured out and others which still remain a mystery to me. (I've often found myself stuck in a "can't get there from here" situation and had to exit the site and start over.) This post covers some of the basics.

I get to Imgur via a bookmark in my web browser. When I get to Imgur I have to sign in to load new images. I load new images on the Images page. To get to the Images page I hover my cursor over my username at the top of the page. This causes a menu to drop down, at the top of which is the "images" selection. Select that and it takes you to the image-loading page.

At the upper right of this page you have a green box labeled "Add Images". Below this box are two gray boxes labeled "Add to album:" and "Auto resize:". The "Add to album:" box lets you choose which of your albums you want to load the new images to (providing you have created albums). The default is "None". If you leave it at "None", the new images will load to a general folder rather than to a specific album.

The "Auto resize:" box lets you select predetermined sizes by which to limit the images you will upload.

Click on the drop-down arrows to display the selection menus.

This setting must be re-selected each time you re-open Imgur to upload new images. The aspect ratios for Auto resize are also fixed. For example, if you select 640 x 480, and the image you upload is taller than its width, the uploaded image will be resized to a height of 480 pixels, and its width will be something less than 640 px.

Once you've selected the album and resizing options, you're ready to click the green "Add Images" box. You then have the option of dragging-and-dropping the images you want to upload, or browsing to their source and selecting them.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: