ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good News and Bad News about Photobucket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Good News and Bad News about Photobucket Reply with quote

The good news is this announcement below from Photobucket on their official support site.

The bad news is . . . PB is down, and all the images I haven't replaced with Imgur versions yet are not displaying, nor can I copy them to Imgur at this time.

Working my way down the main index for the last few months, I've almost finished the Science now, add Fiction Later section, after which I plan to do the Off Topic Discussions, Movies in other Genres, and TV Shows in Other Genres.

Then All Sci-Fi will finally be free of Photobucket images completely.

But if the May 17th announcement came too late to prevent Photobucket from finally collapsing completely, the remaining images on my account and those of other members like Butch will be lost. Sad

Anyway, here's the May 17th PB announcement.

Photobucket has new management, and we are liberating your images!

As of today, your hosted images are live.

Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

For a limited time, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs.

Pricing

The cost of a paid account varies depending on your needs. Please note, yearly subscriptions are billed annually.

Beginner

You may choose to pay either monthly at $2.49/month or yearly for $26.99/year (equivalent to $2.25/month).

2 GB of storage space (Approximately 400 photos).

Intermediate

You may choose to pay either monthly at $6.49/month or yearly for $69.99/year (equivalent to $5.83/month).

20 GB of storage space (Approximately 4,000 photos).

When you upgrade your plan, you gain the following benefits:

3rd Party Image Hosting: Link the photos you have uploaded to Photobucket to your forums, blogs or other websites for viewing.

No Advertisements: Enjoy an ad free Photobucket experience as long as you are logged into your Plus account.

Premium Support: You have direct access to our tech support team. Email our PLUS Support Team

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Good News and Bad News about Photobucket Reply with quote

Photobucket wrote:

3rd Party Image Hosting: Link the photos you have uploaded to Photobucket to your forums, blogs or other websites for viewing.

This is the feature we're interested in. But their description isn't clear to me. By "upgrading" do they mean subscribing to either plan, or are they referring to the higher priced plan? Is the PLUS plan either paid plan, or is it the higher priced plan? In other words, is the only difference between the two plans the amount of storage you get?

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Please note, yearly subscriptions are billed annually." Wow, that's a good idea! I just had a look at my PB pages, and they seem to be live... I'm using 3% of my storage, so I have no idea what plan they think I'm on.

Strangely, the image codes they give can't be copied - highlighting, then ctrl + c, doesn't work!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Good News and Bad News about Photobucket Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Photobucket wrote:

This is the feature we're interested in. But their description isn't clear to me. By "upgrading" do they mean subscribing to either plan, or are they referring to the higher priced plan? Is the PLUS plan either paid plan, or is it the higher priced plan? In other words, is the only difference between the two plans the amount of storage you get?

It says here that 3rd party hosting IS available for both the paid plans! Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Strangely, the image codes they give can't be copied - highlighting, then ctrl + c, doesn't work!

Right, I've noticed that for some time now.

But with Firefox you can right-click on the image itself and select "Copy Image Location", which (for example) gets you this.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/Allscifi/1970s%20sci-fi/1c3b9197-0a04-427c-a7f1-15f6c6cf709d.jpg~original

Just delete the "~original" on the end and then place the [img] and [/img] on both ends to make it display in a post.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing, testing...

Can anybody else see the image? (I have some P-bucket blocking override app installed in my browser, so I can't tell if everybody is seeing the same thing I'm seeing.) I'm using only their free service.

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing it well!

Although I wish it was some space-babe instead!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good on my computer, too, even after I disabled my PB "fixes" and then refreshed this page. Happily it was still there.

Wayne, you and I have both replaced all your other PB codes over the last few months, replacing them with Imgur codes. I don't regret spending many hours doing that, because PB's new statement said —

Quote:
For a limited time, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs.

— which means they are "temporarily" freeing the images that weren't working while their users decide which plan they want to pay for.

Actually, I'm glad Photobucket didn't finally come to their senses until after I got so close to ridding All Sci-Fi of their jpeg codes. I might have gotten lazy and not worked as hard to replace everybody's PB codes with versions I added to my own Imgur account.

Strangely enough, I tried again today to safeguard my own PB images until I could replace them by buying PB's new top plan, but I discovered that the damn payment page STILL doesn't work! It will not let me go through the process of entering my credit card number to pay for one the services!

I had their $6.95 plan for about five years, but it ran out last January, and since then I haven't been able to sign up for ANY of their plans!

I sent numerous emails to their so-called technical support asking them about this, but they haven't replied to any of my messages since they first instigated that moronic $399 a year plan that pissed off so many people back in June of 2017.

I urge All Sci-Fi's members to abandon Photobucket and find a more reliable image hosts. I'm convinced that PB has destroyed their own reputation so completely that they'll never recover and will eventually file for bankruptcy.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I'm convinced that PB has destroyed their own reputation so completely that they'll never recover...

Don't forget Mel Gibson.

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
I'm convinced that PB has destroyed their own reputation so completely that they'll never recover...

Don't forget Mel Gibson.

Mel Gibson went loony tunes after he quit taking his medications for being bi-polar. Since he's gone back on them, he is doing okay.

I don't know what PB's excuse is.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

Krel wrote:
Mel Gibson went loony tunes after he quit taking his medications for being bi-polar. Since he's gone back on them, he is doing okay.

I was thinking more along the lines of him recovering his public approval.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of him recovering his public approval.

I didn't get the reference to Mr. Gibson until Scotspen made his reply.

Thanks, Scotspen. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: