ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A possible new ASF glitch!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: A possible new ASF glitch! Reply with quote

Bulldogtrekker has experienced a strange problem on All Sci-Fi during the last two days.

On several occasions he has been helping me fix the three question marks — ??? — that appear in many posts because of a problem which occurred when the database was imported from Randy’s server to mine.

While editing one of his posts, he hit “Preview” and suddenly received a message which said, “You’re not authorized to edit this post.” And then it logged him out! Shocked

This is a very serious problem, and I need to know if any other members have experienced it or anything like it. If you have, please reply to this message so that Raj Patel can review your comments and investigate the matter.

Thanks

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I've been editing a number of posts in the past few days and have NOT run into that problem......However, I usually don't preview, I go right to submit.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gord! I know that Bulldogtrekker will appreciate this info.

Concerning the advantages of Previewing a post before hitting Submit, I was surprised by your reply! Shocked

I NEVER hit Submit until I've checked my posts repeatedly by hitting Preview several times. In fact, I always hit Preview right before hitting Submit one last time. Hitting Submit from the composition window would be like turning out the lights in my living room at night and THEN trying to walk from the sofa to the stairs in the dark!

Whenever I've tried doing that, I always bump into the coffee table! Sad

Now I always turn on the stairway light first, and then turn out the living room lights. And for that same reason, I always hit Preview repeatedly to make sure the formatting codes for things like italics, bold, and size are correct before hitting Submit.

If EVERYBODY did that, I would spend a lot less time as site admin fixing mistakes our members made . . . and didn't notice!

I also fix our member's misspelled words, missing spaces between words and commas, and missing paragraph breaks that crowd the text together when our valued members forget to hit "enter". Very Happy

I do all this because I want all the posts contributed by our members to be free from typos which might distract from their interesting and intelligent messages! Typos are like ugly pimples on a lovely woman's face! Sad

In conclusion, folks, please hit Preview before submitting your posts, to be sure your fine submissions look as beautiful as you wanted them to be.
Cool
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I might be right-clicking the touchpad instead of left clicking at preview. That is not it. When I hit preview, instead of a preview, I am log out most of the time.

PS: I tried hitting submit without previewing, and I still received the Sorry, you can only edit your own posts. It was my own post Shocked

This message logs me out.

PSS: As of 9:30 PM today, it is working again.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO preview all of my own posts, but when editing I've found it quicker to peruse the post for errors to correct, note them, and then hit edit to change the necessary errors.

I carefully note what the applicable correction should be, (", -,", or ' as a rule). I find it faster and so far an accurate method.

I'm also very careful that the content context is unchanged. When I'm satisfied that the corrections are completed I hit "submit". Rarely I've had to go back and fix something I missed...but very rarely.

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Bud, how can WE edit YOUR mistakes? Very Happy Confused

Bud Brewster wrote:
I also fix our member's misspelled words, missing spaces between words and commas, and missing paragraph breaks that crowd the text together when our valued members forget to hit "enter". Very Happy

I do all this because I want all the posts contributed by our members to be free from typos which might distract from their interesting and intelligent messages! Typos are like ugly pimples on a lovely woman's face! Sad

(I edited and previewed this message 8 times with no problems)
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
But Bud, how can WE edit YOUR mistakes?

. . . . . . . . .

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given Bud full permission to edit any of my posts (I am a terrible speller --(But I've always felt that spelling was optional after all!).

Don't tell Bud, but I've corrected some of his posts as well! Shhhhush!

Buit then sometimes I think we share a group mind!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I've given Bud full permission to edit any of my posts (I am a terrible speller --(But I've always felt that spelling was optional after all!).

Don't tell Bud, but I've corrected some of his posts as well! Shhhhush!

Buit then sometimes I think we share a group mind!

Until I made Bulldogtrekker and Gord moderators to help me fix the -- ??? -- glitches, I was indeed on my own when it came to spotting my frequent typos. Orzel-w was, at one time, sending me much-appreciated PMs which pointed out typos in some of my posts, but we've agreed that he should just let me wing it now. Very Happy

Gord, I'm a terrible speller too, but I try to keep a close eye on the little red zig-zag lines the spell checker puts under the words I misspell.

Buit I still miss a few in many of my posts.
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: