ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacific Rim Uprising (2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Pacific Rim Uprising (2018) Reply with quote

I’m delighted that a sequel has finally been made, but the changes in the production team (the writers and the director) might mean this one won’t feel as good as the last one — which felt so good it was like a Christmas morning in 1958, with Santa Claus leaving so many sci-fi toys under the tree that the living room floor looked like a toy store showroom! Very Happy

The movie is scheduled for a March 2018 release. Here’s Wikipedia’s brief plot synopsis.

10 years after the Battle of the Breach, the oceans have become restless once again, but the Jaeger program has evolved into the next generation for the PPDC. However, something has reopened the Breach for the Kaiju and a Jaeger has gone rogue. Jake Pentecost, son of Stacker Pentecost, rises up to stand against the evolved Kaiju and the rogue Jaeger to prevent humanity's extinction and preserve his father’s legacy.

This description certainly gives us some nice clues as to what the story might include. The “next generation” of the giant robots might be able to fly around, although that sort of misses the point of massive robots that can walk any damn where they want. Still, a formation of giant flying robots headed into combat makes a jaw-dropping mental image.

A “rogue Jaeger” could go either way — like a giant robot fighting with the nasty “evolved Kaiju” (which promises a few robot vs robot battles when the good guys arrive), or a giant robot that fights the Kaiju for personal reasons in the middle of cities, without regard for the loss of life and or the property damage.

Here’s the trailer for the upcoming movie. I promise I wrote the comments above before I watched it, just for fun . . . so I’ll let you judge if my predictions were right or wrong. Very Happy

___ Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018) Teaser Trailer #1

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon May 22, 2023 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 20 trivia items for this movie.

Frankly here’s the only one I found interesting.

~ Guillermo del Toro stepped down as director in order to direct The Shape of Water (2017) instead, which went on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

Note from me: Frankly I thought The Shape of Water was lousy. A woman falls in love a fish-man and swims off with him in the end.

This ain't exactly Casablanca, folks . . . Rolling Eyes

Krel

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Note from me: Frankly I thought The Shape of Water was lousy. A woman falls in love a fish-man and swims off with him in the end.

This ain't exactly Casablanca, folks . . . Rolling Eyes

You're right Bud, it's not "Casablanca...It's "Splash", with the genders reversed! Laughing

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, A LOVE STORY
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
You're right Bud, it's not "Casablanca...It's "Splash", with the genders reversed! Laughing

David.

Ah, but in Splash we have the lovely Daryl Hannah making it possible for her and Tom Hanks to hug and kiss whenever they're underwater . . . and they can do a whole lot more just by visiting a nice beach on a tropical island so that Miss Hannah's legs (et cetera) miraculously appear. Wink

However, the lady in The Shape of Water won't have the kind of love life any of us would envy . . .
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However...Think about how fish have sex....

The male releases his sperm into the water as the female releases her eggs into the same water...

Somehow some of them combine to produce a zygoe that is a fertilized egg that will grow to be a "fry" or a real fish.

I don't know about you....BUT THAT JUST DOESN'T WORK!!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "somehow" in your description is certainly intriguing! Shocked

After, I'm absolutely amazed by the fact that human sperm swim up the Tunnel of Love and find the Ultimate Easter Egg all by themselves, and then the egg locks out all the losers of this microscopic swim meet so it doesn't get gang banged by a few thousand randy tadpoles!

But those brave little fishy sperm "somehow" find the love-sick fish eggs in the open ocean, and they turn them into heroic "zygoes" that are like embryos who aren't even full-fledged fish yet!

Jeff Goldblum was right. Life finds a way! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: