ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNN's coverage of Hurricane Irma!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: CNN's coverage of Hurricane Irma! Reply with quote

I spent most of the afternoon watching the heroic CNN reporters standing right out in the powerful winds of hurricane Irma . . . and I was amazed! Shocked

In awe I saw the frightening images of brave men like Chris Cuomo and the other reporters who endured the dangerous winds and rain while they described their experiences. Those images were incredible!

21st Century technology presented me and the rest of the CNN audience with a once-in-a-lifetime event. The amazing videos they presented today will be watched for decades to come ??? a remarkable presentation of what it's like to live through a monster storm which attacked the state of Florida from coast-to-coast, moving northward from the southern-most tip of the state all the way to the Georgia state line!

And we watched these reporters show us the savage winds of the northern eye-wall while blowing rain reduced visibility to zero, then the shocking calm of the eye itself when the rain and wind were gone, and finally the reversal of the wind direction when the southern eye-wall hit the same area!

The conversations between Chris Cuoma and the CNN meteorologist in the control room made it plan that the eye of the hurricane ??? and the savage conditions which preceded it ??? would be repeated all along the west coast of Florida in the hours to come!

We only got to see one example of this hurricane's eye as it traveled up the coast, a surrealistic period in which the savage conditions experienced there just minutes earlier are suddenly gone. But these conditions quickly returned . . . but with the added threat of the storm surge which pumped seawater into the afflicted areas with alarming speed!

It was a stunning experience, presented through HD images while Chris Cuomo and his colleagues who stood right out in the savage wind and torrential rain as they did an astounding job of describing this terrifying experience!

My respect for these men is boundless. Cool

And during the broadcast we learned fascinating things ??? like the fact that hurricanes often have flocks of birds which get trapped inside the eye of the storm and desperately follow it for days! They can't get out, so they have to follow the eye as it travels north!

These flocks of birds are forced to remain in the calm region of the storm after it goes over the land mass they originally lived in. They desperately fly inside the eye for days until the storm finally dissipates . . . hundreds of miles away from their original home!

The CNN meteorologist showed us that these poor birds actually show up on the radar in middle of the hurricanes eye!

Wow . . .

Did anybody else watch the CNN reports?

MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept switching between CNN, MSNBC, and the Weather Channel.

I've been a weather wonk for yrs. These guys keep warning others to stay inside and not risk getting flattened by flying stuff, and yet there they are. You say brave, I say foolhardy.

There are remote control cameras, drones and whatnot that can be used for dangerous events.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroPolly wrote:
I've been a weather wonk for yrs. These guys keep warning others to stay inside and not risk getting flattened by flying stuff, and yet there they are. You say brave, I say foolhardy.

There are remote control cameras, drones and whatnot that can be used for dangerous events.

I hear ya, Polly, and I've felt the same way for years. I wondered why the hell those crazy weathermen felt like they had to report on dangerous life-threatening weather by standing right out in and letting it threaten THEIR lives!

But then I spent several days watching the amazing CNN coverage of Irma. And Chris Cuomo stated repeatedly that he and his colleagues were out there "in harm's way" to demonstrate exactly why they kept telling the public NOT to go outside during the storm.

In other words, they endangered their own safety to show everybody else why it would be foolish to endanger theirs.

I, for one, was completely convinced . . . Shocked

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a famous news clip of a reporter showing how bad a flood was. He was standing there in the street with water up to his waist talking about the high water. Then behind him a kid came walking by behind the reporter, and the 'flood' only came up to the kid's knees.

BUSTED!!

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: