ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clockstoppers (2002)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Clockstoppers (2002) Reply with quote

Yes, this is teen movie. With a romance. So, you've been warned!

But the concept is good, undoubtedly borrowed from John D. McDonald's The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything. And the FX are excellent, with scenes of fun-loving teenagers walking through a curtain of motionless water droplets from a lawn sprinkler and pushing them aside.

It's directed by Jonathan Frakes, so how could you go wrong? (Okay, he strikes out fairly often, but he means well, and his movies are always brim-full of imagination).

Like several Frakes' films, it didn't make much money — $38.8 million on a budget of $26 million. In Hollywood, a profit of $12 million is chump change. Rolling Eyes

But as "fun sci-fi" movies go, you could do a lot worse. And watching the likable Michael Biehn (Corporal Hicks from Aliens and Kyle Reese from T2: Judgement Day) as an evil industrialist who wants the time-accelerating device for himself is a surprising bit of casting.

Does it work? You decide.
Very Happy

___________________ Clockstoppers - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ The plot was inspired by H.G. Wells' 1901 story "The New Accelerator," about a scientist who develops a drug enabling him to move so fast that no one can see him. From his viewpoint, everyone else seems frozen in time.

Note from me: The concept of "slowing time" was also extremely well portrayed in John D. MacDonald in his highly enjoyable novel, The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything.

~ This was the first feature film directed by Jonathan Frakes which was not part of the "Star Trek" franchise.

Note from me: Mr. Frakes is fine director, but some of this movies haven't been very successful. Sad

~ When Zak, Francesca and Meeker are on their way back from the dance party, Meeker jokingly says "Let's dress Coach Wells up like Britney Spears." This is a reference to H.G. Wells, author of "The New Accelerator" aka the Sci-Fi story in which this film was based on.

Note from me: I had no idea that H.G. Wells was a sports fan! (Just kiddin' . . . )

~ The watch is a yellow Suunto Vector

Note from me: I think I'll buy one of these! I'd be able to get more things done each day . . . Wink

~ Michael Biehn (Henry Gates) and Jenette Goldstein (Zak's doctor) previously co-starred in Aliens (1986), respectively, as Corporal Hicks and Private Vasquez. The former starred as Sergent Kyle Reese (John Connor's father) in The Terminator (1984), while the latter starred as Janelle Voight (John Connor's foster mother) in Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). All of those films is directed by James Cameron.

Note from me: Jenette Goldstein was impressive (and sexy) in Aliens. She also played cop in Lethal Weapon 2, and a Science Officer in Star Trek: Generations.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ The plot was inspired by H.G. Wells' 1901 story "The New Accelerator," about a scientist who develops a drug enabling him to move so fast that no one can see him. From his viewpoint, everyone else seems frozen in time.

Note from me: The concept of "slowing time" was also extremely well portrayed in John D. MacDonald in his highly enjoyable novel, The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything.

~ This was the first feature film directed by Jonathan Frakes which was not part of the "Star Trek" franchise.

Note from me: Mr. Frakes is fine director, but some of this movies haven't been very successful. Sad

~ When Zak, Francesca and Meeker are on their way back from the dance party, Meeker jokingly says "Let's dress Coach Wells up like Britney Spears." This is a reference to H.G. Wells, author of "The New Accelerator" aka the Sci-Fi story in which this film was based on.

Note from me: I had no idea that H.G. Wells was a sports fan! (Just kiddin' . . . )

~ The watch is a yellow Suunto Vector

Note from me: I think I'll buy one of these! I'd be able to get more things done each day . . . Wink

~ Michael Biehn (Henry Gates) and Jenette Goldstein (Zak's doctor) previously co-starred in Aliens (1986), respectively, as Corporal Hicks and Private Vasquez. The former starred as Sergent Kyle Reese (John Connor's father) in The Terminator (1984), while the latter starred as Janelle Voight (John Connor's foster mother) in Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). All of those films is directed by James Cameron.

Note from me: Jenette Goldstein was impressive (and sexy) in Aliens. She also played cop in Lethal Weapon 2, and a Science Officer in Star Trek: Generations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: