ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunshine (2007)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Sunshine (2007) Reply with quote

The shortest of several synopsis on IMDB reads like this.

50 years into the future, the Sun begins to die, and Earth is dying as a result. A team of astronauts is sent to revive the Sun - but the mission fails. Seven years later, a new team is sent to finish the mission as mankind's last hope.

I saw this movie years ago and wasn't overly impressed. As an action film it just didn't present me with characters whose fates were interesting. There's way too much melodrama, with some crew members going crazy, and other folks being fried by sunlight, etc. etc.

This isn't a story about a brave crew working to overcome obstacles — it's a bunch of gloomy people who create most of the problems themselves! Shocked

And the story's premise is eye-brow raising. The sun is dying? Sounds like pretty unlikely. A team is sent to "revive" it with an atomic bomb? Even more unlikely. Frankly it would be easier to refill a dried up ocean with a firehouse!

Wikipedia says screenwriter Alex Garland and director Danny Boyle worked on the script for a year, producing 35 drafts. Dear lord, if the one they finally used was the best of the bunch, the other 34 drafts must been hideous!

Wikipedia also states that the Boyle and Garland hired scientific adviser for the film, bu then the article goes on to say (in effect) that the science was about as accurate as a blind man playing darts . . . while drunk.

Critics were divided on the film's merits, with some comparing it to [i]2001[i/] and [i]Alien[/u], while others like Mick Lasalle (writing for the San Francisco Chronicle) bluntly noted that the motion picture starts out "bad" and later "gets worse".

So, did this hot mess make money? Hell yes, it made $32,000,000! Smile

To bad it cost $40,000,000 . . . Sad

Click on the poster below to watch the trailer.

]

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this movie much more than Bud did. Sure, the story is a hot mess but the visual fx were well done. And I liked the spacecraft.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched Quentin Tarantino's critique on YouTube. He expressed my main objection: Acts 1 and 2 were good, but then Act 3 introduces a "monster" to add to their problems.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: