ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Science Channel blew their eclipse coverage!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: The Science Channel blew their eclipse coverage! Reply with quote

On August 21st The Science Channel was supposed to present four hours of live coverage from across the nation and from the ISS of the eclipse as it traveled across America.

But they blew it. Sad

I watched the first hour of their coverage and was disappointed that it was just a rerun of an episode of the show called How the Universe Works, with occasional "Breaking News" segments showing an attracting young lady interviewing people in a large field in Madras, Oregon.

The video below has the interviews, with long silent segments showing the progress of the eclipse in that area. Those silent segements were just the reruns of How the Universe Works yesterday. Confused

Even worse, when the second hour arrived . . . it was complete rerun of the first hour! And so was the third and fourth hour! Shocked

What the hell happened to their big plans (heavily promoted for months), which they described this way on their website?

Science Channel will be capturing every moment of the Great American Eclipse with live coverage on air and online. We'll be live in Madras, Oregon — one of the nation's premier viewing spots — with astronomers and educators, in partnership with the Lowell Observatory.

We'll also provide live footage from other prime viewing destinations across American including locations in Tennessee, Idaho, Nebraska, and South Carolina. You'll also get glimpses of the eclipse taken from the International Space Station.

_View The Total Eclipse LIVE From Madras, Oregon!

If I'd known those bozos were going to screw the whole thing up so badly, I'd have watched the NASA channel coverage instead! Silly me, I didn't think of that until it was too late. Sad

_ NASA coverage of the Aug. 21, 2017 total solar eclipse

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, Bud. If you think that was disappointing, the special NOVA on PBS that evening wasn't much better.

It was basically a rehash of the same stuff I got from the science channel's "preview".

Honestly, I think going up to Chabot and ending up watching the live feed in their theater was the right choice.

Still, a once in a life time event is a once in a lifetime event. Cool
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I expected, based on their promos and the description in blue text above, taken directly from their website, was an exciting, fast-past four-hour event that leap-frogged from moment to moment during totality at various places as the shadow traveled across the country.

Mixed with these would be coverage of the 70 high-altitude balloons with cameras that would be launched periodically along the path of totality, along with interviews with a few of the many amateur astronomers across the nation who were taking pictures that NASA was going to combine into a video of the eclipse.

And I figured they would show the two high-altitude NASA jets take off to chase the eclipse across two states and a take pictures of it.

But dammit we got NONE of that in their lame coverage! Just that first weak hour . . . re-run three more times from 1:00 to 4:00, which was stupid as hell!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: