ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ready Player One (2018)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Ready Player One (2018) Reply with quote

Thanks to Custer's mention of this movie in another thread, I picked up a trailer at IMDb. Lots of references to other sci-fi/horror films.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/?ref_=nv_sr_1

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gee whiz, Wayne! How 'bout a * Spoiler Alert * next time!

Damn, you gave away both the title AND the release date! Shocked

Thanks a lot! Rolling Eyes

Well, now that the cat is out of the bag I guess I''ll just give the teaser trailer a glitzy formatting in the fancy All Sci-Fi style and say that this movie obviously does NOT over-use CGI, and it wisely sets this futuristic tale a whopping eight years ahead of the present day so that it's prediction of the future couldn't possibly look dated in under a decade like so many other movies have.

Still, it does look like a rip roarin' good time, and I hope it's both fun and successful. (Just for the record, Wayne-O, THIS is how we do things downtown when we start a new thread.)
Wink

______Ready Player One - Comic Con Trailer (2018)

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
(Just for the record, Wayne-O, THIS is how we do things downtown when we start a new thread.)

Whew! Looks like a lot of work. I was figuring you would just edit my post to make it right.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit it! Good Lord, no! Shocked

I was delighted to simply "enhance" your initial post with a bit more information after you had "cracked the door" on the subject and teased the members by encouraging additional discussions!

That's what message boards are supposed to do! Very Happy

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want spoilers, you can always check out the novel on which the movie is based, by Ernest Cline - a pretty good read! Also available from Audible, if you like audiobooks, for about the same price as the paperback.

I must say that the shot in the trailer of the stacked mobile homes looked remarkably faithful to the book...

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:

Geez! At least in industrial constructions they provide safety cages around structure ladders.

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which just shows that life in the real world is going a bit messy, in the book. A trailer park with so many trailers it has to stack them high, with no concern for health and safety - because there is no authority that is particularly bothered about such things. Everyone is busy in virtual reality...

My guess is that the view through his headset is rather neater than his real environment!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Ready Player One yesterday (4/5/18) in 3D IMAX, and I loved it!

A complete list of all the beloved science fiction and fantasy elements (like monsters and robots and spaceships) which Ready Player One snuck into this amazing movie would be longer than the New York city phone directory.

Since I've never been a gamer, all the beloved elements from several decades of popular video games mostly went right over my head (quite literally, since the movie was in 3D), but I enjoyed them anyway.

I will definitely be buying the Blu-ray of this fine film when it comes out. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
...went right over my head (quite literally, since the movie was in 3D)...

You mean "quite virtually"? I doubt that anything in a 3D movie was literally going over your head (unless maybe you're counting the light beam from the projector; but then that would apply to any movie in a theater, not just 3D). Very Happy

Geez, this has gone way deeper than I intended. Or maybe over my head.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir, I LOVE the way you analyze these things and challenge us all intellectually! Let's solve this conundrum together!

Just what did go "over my head" in the theater yesterday while watching this movie in 3D? Was it a "literal" something, or a "virtual" something?

From a subjective point of view, it would seem to have been a "literal" something, since I was sitting in my motorized theater recliner and watching what appeared to be physical objects pass over my head — due to the fact that I was viewing a 3D movie while wearing 3D glasses!

But the objects were mere illusions, so they didn't qualify as "literal". Therefore, your statement that my experience was virtually would seem to be correct.

However, please note that I did NOT say that physical objects passed over my head. I said that "the beloved elements from several decades of popular video games" passed over my head during the movie. Obviously I meant that the 3D images of those elements went over my head — the "virtual" versions of those objects!

Therefore, I submit that my original statement was correct.

" . . . the beloved elements from several decades of popular video games mostly went right over my head (quite literally, since the movie was in 3D)." Very Happy

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I can sleep tonight.

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One YouTube video I watched rushed through 168 "Easter eggs," though some were blatantly obvious, like Kong, and others were characters from obscure video games in the background, or small badges being worn. Or the Star Trek theme of the Oasis creator's funeral. But hey, any movie that features a battle between the Iron Giant and Mechagodzilla can't be bad, right?

And to think some recent superhero movies have been criticised for having massive CGI battles as their climaxes! Very Happy

I would have liked to see it in 3D, but the local Vue cinema/multiplex wasn't having that many showings, with only a single 3D presentation starting in the mid-evening. The afternoon screening I went to was pretty packed, though I think that particular room/screen had less than a hundred seats. The present set-up of such places is a bit different to how things used to be, with one large auditorium including an upper "circle" level... but it does give us more choice, even if there are less cinemas, er, movie theatres, than in days gone by...
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
... even if there are less cinemas, er, movie theatres, than in days gone by...

The days of single-screen theaters recalls a time when 2-lane undivided highways were adequate to carry the traffic, and three TV channels served our needs.

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, with only three (or two) TV channels available, and of course no sign of VHS tapes to rent and play over one's TV, more people went to the cinema more often, and weren't too fussy as to what the film that week was... so we'd all pile in for Sink the Bismarck, or Captain Blood, or indeed Carry on Constable. Time rolls on - those particular movies came out 58 years ago! Shocked
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a very fair assesment Custer.

Custer wrote:
Quote:
so we'd all pile in for Sink the Bismarck, or Captain Blood, or indeed Carry on Constable.

In fact I remember queing up to see CARRY ON CLEO as well as the others you mention!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: