ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's how to fix your broken Photobucket images!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Here's how to fix your broken Photobucket images! Reply with quote

I am proud to announce that after working for many long hours, I have managed to fix every broken Photobucket jpeg code on all 47 pages of the Forbidden Planet thread. Most of them belonged to Butch, Eadie, orzel-w, and Brent Gair, and I replaced them them with new Imgur jpegs codes!

I also replaced all my OWN Photobucket jpeg codes with Imgur codes, even though PB is still working for my jpegs!

So, the Forbidden Planet thread is now PHOTOBUCKET FREE!

That wonderful thread is a treasure trove of great discussions, enhanced by hundreds of pictures! I'd forgotten just how many stunning images Eadie, for exaxmple, contributed to the thread! She is amazing! Very Happy

Please revisit the crown jewel of All Sci-Fi, the Forbidden Planet thread ??? which has been restored to it's full glory in spite of the dastardly deeds of those fools as Photobucket! Evil or Very Mad

And if you've got broken Photobucket codes you'd like to replace, there's a very easy way to force PB to show you any of your images so you can identify precisely what they are, and then you can copy them to your computer.

You will then be able to place them on the image host of your choice and fix your broken jpegs on All Sci-Fi, as well as any other message boards you've contributed to!

The method is simple. Bear in mind the instructions below are specific to Firefox.

First, log into your Photobucket account in a separate tab or window, then come here and right click on the broken jpeg on All Sci-Fi. Select "View Image".

This will take you to the source of the image on your PB account, which will look like this.

Next comes the Magic Method I discovered all by myself! Refresh the page, either with F5 or by right-clicking and selecting the icon shown below.

After several seconds the jpeg will appear ??? although sometimes it will be small and distorted. When that happens, simple refresh the page again, and the full image will appear!

Right-click on the image and select "Save Image As . . . " to store your jpeg in a picture file.

Now you can save the image to Host.Pic, Imgur, or whatever image host you prefer. Once you have a new image code, you can replace that useless Photobucket code and restore your post to it's former glory! Very Happy

And in case you're wondering . . . yes, this is what I did for every single jpeg on all 47 pages of the Forbidden Planet thread that was hosted by Photobucket!

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Here's how to fix your broken Photobucket images! Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
And in case you're wondering . . . yes, this is what I did for every single jpeg on all 47 pages of the Forbidden Planet thread that was hosted by Photobucket!

Wow! That's quite a feat. There must be an app for writing macros that could speed up the process when you fix other photobucket links.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Here's how to fix your broken Photobucket images! Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
Wow! That's quite a feat. There must be an app for writing macros that could speed up the process when you fix other photobucket links.

Hmmm . . . interesting idea.

However, if I remember correctly a macro is designed to enter the commands in sequence but there's no pause between each command, and that would cause a problem with this procedure.

It takes about 10 seconds for Photobucket to display the "Upgrade" icon, then you have to wait another few seconds before hitting the "refresh" button. If you right-click too soon, you get an X instead of the circle-arrow refresh button.

And then, of course, there's the annoying fact that sometimes you have to hit refresh a second time, because PB will display a distorted, small-sized version of the jpeg when it first appears. The second refresh commands corrects this.

Patience is the name of the game with this dull (but necessary) endeavor. But if you make it work as you described, please let me know.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud-

I don't use any macro-writing programs now, but in the past I used a program called PTFB (Push the Freakin' Button). I used it for downloading web-based pictures to specific folders on my hard drive. There is a free version available, so you might want to give it a try. It can reduce many repetitive multi step operations to a single mouse click, or even NO clicks. It's very easy
to program, and yes, you can insert pauses of any length.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ptfb_(push_the_freakin_button).html
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve . . . but after spending the entire day struggling with all the unexpected glitchy aspects of retrieving jpegs from Photobucket and saving them (A) to my computer, and then (B) to my Imgur account (which occasionally has glitches of its own, though not often), I don't think there's any shortcut for the way I'm doing this.

It just requires an intimate knowledge of the strange ways Photobucket works AND the occasional problems Imgur encounters. Things go well most of the time . . . but not ALL of the time. And when that happens, I have to start all over and make the transfer of each jpeg work right.

For example, recovering 15 Photobucket jpegs from a members thread which I can't actually see because PB has blocked them means I have to rename them when I save each one to my computer. That's because I need to know what order they go in when I replace them with Imgur versions when I place them back on the members post!

If I don't get them in the right order, the member's message makes no sense. The message often has specific references to each jpeg which appears right above or below it, so all the jpegs have be placed in the right spot within the text!

I wish there was a way to make it easier, but apparently there isn't.

But thanks for trying to help. Very Happy

ulrichburke
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Just a thought re thread mentions in your post... Reply with quote

Dear Bud.

You've got the Forbidden Planet in nice, bright red in your post, and other mentions in blue - couldn't you make them clickable links to the threads in question? So us newbies don't have to hunt around through tons of threads and give up before we find them?

Just a thought....!!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, each category has a pair of index listings of the topics. One is alphabetical, the other chronological.

So for example, FORBIDDEN PLANET is a 50's movie...so look in that category and then choose the alphabetical list and voila! It's right there under "F".

But really....half the fun is scrolling through looking for the goodies there!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Chirs!

As Gord mentioned, All Sci-Fi has several unique features to help you find your way around ??? features that NO other board on the web has! Very Happy

The Alphabetical and Chronological Indexes that Gord mentioned will save you from ever having to spend time searching for any movie's thread we happen to have. And if a movie isn't listed in the appropriate index, then there is no thread!

You'll be able to find the thread for any movie you choose in under 30 seconds. Seriously!

The only movie section which doesn't have indexes is the Movies in Other Genres, simple because it isn't long enough yet to need one. But I'll get around to creating indexes for it when the list grows a bit more. Very Happy

To help you become more familiar with All Sci-Fi click on this link ??? Take the Grand Tour and get to know All Sci-Fi! ??? and it will introduce you to all the major sections of the board.

Enjoy! Cool

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
I usually use the no-frills HostPic.org. It doesn't have any photo editing or resizing features but it's simple and quick. The downside is that it automatically deletes images that are more than a couple of years old.

Scotspen mentioned this on another thread, and I was surprised to learn this about Hostpic!

I've been using them for pictures I didn't want to clutter up my Photobucket account with (and now my Imgur account, since PB turned out to be such jackasses). But I think I'll stop using it, since they'll start dumping the older things I've used it for!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: