ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SO GLAD TO BE BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: SO GLAD TO BE BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

So happy to see the board back up!

Thank you Bud AND Bulldog's family for making it so!

Gord
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn! You and Bulldogtrekker found out about this before I did! Shocked

Several minutes ago I found out that Vickie Everett sent me a Facebook message about how she had trouble submitting a payment to Servage One to renew her internet service. She also said that Sean was still being uncooperative about moving All Sci-Fi to my own new server.

I've been discussing the situation with Vickie through FB messages all week long, and I've urged her to keep All Sci-Fi on her server until I can find someone else to move it to my own server. I think she'll be agreeable to this, so for now we should be okay.

When the move finally comes, the entire board's database should be transferred intact to the new location . . . based on how Randy Everett explained the process to me several times, years ago.

I just wish I'd asked Randy to do all this back when we first relocated to his server, back when the old board ceased to exits.

Oh, well. Live and learn, eh? Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sens8
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to have this part of one's daily routine back. And if anyone has been having withdrawal symptoms due to a lack of Bud's movie posts with imdb trivia and his comments thereon, you'll find a few new posts over at the Science Fiction board:

http://sciencefiction.yuku.com/forums/8/Movies

Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Custer! Very Happy

The Science Fiction Message Board has lots of fine folks who don't happen to be members of All Sci-Fi ??? and of course, vice versa. As you know, whenever I take the time to compose a post for All Sci-Fi which is fairly complex and (I hope) entertaining, I often post it on the Science Fiction Message Board as well.

I mean, why not? When you've got something good that required a lot of work, and you've got two fine boards to show it off on, why hide your light under a bushel?

After all, that's probably a fire hazard! Very Happy

While All Sci-Fi was down, I went looking for movie threads on the Science Fiction Message Board that would benefit from posts which offered IMDB trivia items, paired with comments by me. I found eight.

I didn't know for sure if All Sci-Fi would return. But if it did, my plan was to add those same posts to this board as well. They would help jump start the board after being down for a week and a half.

However, while adding those posts to the Science Fiction Message Board I realized I'd fallen out of the habit of supporting that fine forum . . . the way you frequently do here on All Sci-Fi, Custer.

I'd like to apologize for that, and I promise to do a better job from now on.

Message boards are dying out. But I'll be damned if I'll let that happen to either mine or yours!

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man. I am slightly surprised that there wasn't more activity on the ASF FaceBook page while the curtain was down here, but maybe a lot of the regulars steer clear of that particular service. It might be a good idea if people did make a note of its existence, so that we could all stay together when the times are perilous.

If people did take up my hints to get their fix of imdb trivia and commentaries at the SFMB, they sure didn't contribute to the threads. Maybe signing up for Yuku is enough to put people off? Honestly, it is painless, and the board itself has no ads or pop-ups. You might not have got as much of Mr. Brewster's wisdom per day as you are accustomed to, but even "Bud lite" is better than nothing, right?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
It might be a good idea if people did make a note of [the existence of All Sci-Fi's facebook page], so that we could all stay together when the times are perilous.

I don't think we have many Facebook folks among our members, and frankly I don't have much use for it either. I started the All Sci-Fi Facebook page as an experiment, and it never amounted to very much, so I never even visit it myself

Ditto for the largely useless All Sci-Fi Discussion Group, another "failed experiment". It actually does have 20 members, and they've made some nice posts.

But the whole Facebook format just doesn't do anything remotely like a message board like All Sci-Fi, which has a clear organizational structure and thousands of long-running discussions on specific subjects that are easy to find and reply to . . . even when they were started years ago!

No, the only thing I use Facebook for is to chat with Bulldogtrekker several times a week while we share synchronized movies and TV shows! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Skullislander
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is highly addictive and mostly I find it a real nuisance--the never-ending quest for 'likes' does not amount to true happiness---

Give me the real World any day!

I have found some work through private messages on Facebook though so it can have some use.

But those who seem to spend all their waking hours on it: well this is not exactly 'living life'.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People checking Facebook on their phones is going to extremes, for sure... and a group there is basically just one long thread, with posts fading away as they get older. Far better the organisation of a message board.

Still, the ability to meet up there if something goes wrong with the forum could be useful. The internet does strange things! At the moment both my image hosts are messing around, with Photobucket refusing to copy'n'paste the appropriate url, and Postimage defaulting to a rather basic page which doesn't actually do anything...
CinemaBill
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Hooray Reply with quote

Ah, yes!

The universe is finally becoming aligned once again. Good to see All Sci-Fi back.

CinemaBill

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill.

I've often felt discouraged over the the years when setbacks occurred during All Sci-Fi's ten-year history. The first version only lasted one year (2005 - 2006).

The second one lasted seven years (2007 - 2014), and the current version (2014 - 2017) has vanished from the web for over a week on two separate occasions, with no real hope that it would ever return!

We still exist on the late Randy Everett's server, entirely at the mercy of his widow (Vickie Everett) who's son (Sean Everett) seems reluctant to use his computer skills to relocate All Sci-Fi to my own server ??? which I've set up and paid $166.00 to keep on line until 2019! Shocked

However, I've assured Mrs. Everett that I'm looking for someone qualified to move All Sci-Fi to my own server. I think she's willing to be patient until that happens.

So, for now All Sci-Fi is reasonably safe. And I'm hoping that in the near future we'll finally be in a secure location which is free from all the internet threats which have plagued our history for the past ten years!

Wish me luck, guys. And for the record, my motto has always been, "Never give up!"

And so far . . . I haven't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: