ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Orville (2017)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, you're a man after my own heart. I love the way you analyze concepts and see the "big picture".

Impressive, my friend. Very Happy

As for Roddenberry's wacky idea that in the future "the acquisition of wealth is not a primary concern, we work to better ourselves," (whatever the hell that means) as Picard said in a first season episode, the concept just doesn't work with basic human nature.

You can't just give everybody absolutely everything they want! And if people don't have to work to acquire the things they want, they don't value them as highly.

However, people WILL use their talents and give their time to perform a service for society or manufacture items that people need . . . IF their efforts are rewarded with money they can then exchange for the material wealth they want or the chosen lifestyle they prefer.

There's also the fact that people are competitive, so they want to know how they're doing in their chosen field. Money is like a point system in a game. Financially secure people feel good about themselves because they have proof that they've made good decisions.

People are also insecure. Having money raises their self esteem, so (again) they feel good about themselves if they've succeeded in accumulating wealth.

And then there's the need for recognition. For example, most artist judge their own success by how many pieces they've sold and how much they were bought for. People place a high value on a "great painting", while considering copies of any kind to be almost worthless.

So, in Roddenberry's society, are there no "valuable" items like original Rembrandts or Frazettas? And do people simply "choose to work" in jobs that aren't particular pleasant just because society needs someone to do those jobs, so they "better themselves" by giving up their time to do things they don't actually enjoy?

Nope, sorry, the whole idea that people don't have to work for what they need, and they can get whatever they want, is totally unrealistic. It denies the manner in which basic human nature motivates people to work toward a goal and to feel a sense of personal achievement when they reach it.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
You can't just give everybody absolutely everything they want! And if people don't have to work to acquire the things they want, they don't value them as highly.

However, people WILL use their talents and give their time to perform a service for society or manufacture items that people need . . . IF their efforts are rewarded with money they can then exchange for the material wealth they want or the chosen lifestyle they prefer.

Don't know who you've been hanging out with, Bud, but your view of humanity seems a bit jaded.

If everybody is provided whatever they want from replicators, why do these things need to be valued highly? I'm assuming that whatever is produced can be disposed of in similar fashion, so trash isn't a problem. There would come a natural balance between the quantity of items you accumulate and the living space you inhabit.

As for getting paid for goods or services, I refer to my own situation. As you know, I make CAD drawings of movie hardware. I spend hours upon hours to "get them right". Yet I post them to be used freely, without copyright or asking for any monetary compensation.

I can do this because I have adequate retirement income to live comfortably (not extravagantly; my house is 1200 square feet and I drive a 2011 Corolla), so I have no need for additional income from the drawings. I'm quite satisfied with what I have because my basic needs have been met, like a citizen of the Federation.

I know several people (and know of many more) who are less happy than I because they think they need more than they have. They think that life is all about maximizing wealth, and they're unhappy to think that other people may have more. In fact, some are so driven that they don't mind taking from people who already have less.

Greed is the problem, and it's aggravated by money.

WayneO
-----------
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orville Has Already Been Renewed for a Second Season
James Whitbrook, I09

.....the crew of the U.S.S. Orville will be returning to Fox for a new season of adventures next year. That's good news, but the surprisingly early renewal also means that you won't be getting more Orville beyond the 13 episodes already set to air this year.

....solid ratings and reaction to Seth MacFarlane's scifi dramedy have turned The Orville into one of Fox's most-watched shows of the season. While that means that the first season will be just 13 episodes long, it at least means there's a bright future ahead for the show...

For full story, click at this link: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-orville-has-already-been-renewed-for-a-second-seaso-1820085997
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, the ratings after the first seven episodes went down from 8 million viewers to 4 million viewers, with three episodes only getting 3 million viewers.

Not very encouraging.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, after watching toinights episode it finaly struck me. The pacing, sense of dry throw away humor and characterizations all seemed rather "British" to me.

There is a very real, solid resemblence to the newer incarnation of episodes of DOCTOR WHO. NO, NO, not the plots or characters in particular, but very definitely in essence! The "feel" is very reminicent A lighter touch, a faster moving enfolding of the plot...all are similar to the newer episodes of the BBC series.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'd expect more viewers for the Sunday slot than the regular Thursday night. To quote Wikipedia, "The Orville has performed well in ratings. After its Sunday premiere on September 10, the show moved to Thursday nights at 9 pm. In its first broadcast in the new time slot, The Orville became Fox's highest rated Thursday 9pm broadcast in two years. After taking into account DVR and VOD, The Orville was Fox's most-viewed drama debut since the premiere of Empire in 2015."

It's good to know that the show has a bright future, even if we only get 13 episodes in this first season.
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much humor in the last episode. The funniest line came when the Doc handed her son a blaster: "Stun only. We're better than that". This coming from the woman that with no hesitation, just killed two people who were in her way. Apparently she took the hypocritical oath, not the Hippocratic. Not that I blame her under the circumstances, but that's on vicious Doctor. Yaphit better watch out.

Thankfully very little LT. Jackass this week.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess, this was the best episode yet. Very little humor, a great deal of drama, and a story I don't recognize from some other source.

As for the doctor's "quick draw" on the threatening aliens, the show stated in several scenes that the weapons were set on "stun". And all the "stunned" victims looked just as dead as the ones the doctor shot.

And I think she also stated that she'd stunned the aliens she shot during her escape.

But when she repeatedly stabbed her captor in the stomach when she became desperate to escape and save her children, she seemed unconcern with the Hippocratic oath. I understood her concern, and I was able to accept her need to kill him and escape under those life-threatening circumstances.

However, if the series wants to present us with some real drama, the doctor will suffer extreme guilt for killing the alien who was taking care of her, even though he refused to let her go.

Krel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor didn't have a blaster. She had the firearm that she took from the man she killed, and she was pretty vicious in getting it. So I don't see how she stunned anyone. She was also smart, she didn't try to knock him out. Given the difference in size and mass, she would have lost, so she went straight for the kill. Although I did get the impression that she killed the second one for a blood sample.

In case there is any confusion, I have no problems with her methods. She did what was necessary, but it is unusual to see that in this kind of show.

Thinking about it, the Doctor is the first person you have seen kill people in personal combat. You don't know if they stunned the Krill they shot in the first episode, so the Doctor has the first confirmed kills.

As for her rescuer. Well, some days it just doesn't pay to be a good Samaritan.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Krel. The doctor will definitely experience some serious guilt for violating the Hippocratic oath — even though we non-doctors completely understand her need to save her children. The Mothercratic oath trumps the other one every time. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Seth is trying to parallel Trek in another media.

Amazon list "The World of The Orville" for pre-sale.

Kind of The Orville's version of "The Making of Star Trek" I would imagine.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent episode was definitely the best one so far. That's not really saying much, however, because I've hated many of the episodes, and I've barely tolerated the others.

This last one, however, surprised me. It was a step upward for the series. But it still has a ways to go. Rolling Eyes

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone miss The Orville; I do.

Does anyone recognize this leggy lady?

It is our favorite security officer on The Orville, Lt. Alara Kitan, as played by Halston Sage

from Treks in Sci-fi
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some speculation that Halston Sage might be leaving the show... which might be linked to her being cast as Dazzler in X-Men: Dark Phoenix...

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently there's no set date for the return of The Orville. All we know is that it ain't gonna be real soon. The TV Guide website this to say about the series and what Seth Farlane said when asked about season two.

. . . more [episodes] of The Orville [than in season 1] means the second season probably won't be ready when [the fans] want it to be. When asked if Season 2 would be ready for the fall — which is when Season 1 debuted — MacFarlane didn't hesitate to temper expectations.

"No, there's too much to do," MacFarlane said. The effects-heavy show takes a long time to produce episodes, and as you can imagine, MacFarlane is a very busy person.

So, it might be this time next year before we see the start of season 2. Gee, and I was just startin' to warm up to the series. (* sigh *)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: