ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voyagers! (1982)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Voyagers! (1982) Reply with quote

I have no memory of this show, but the intro from YouTube below and the comments by IMDB user Abby Rexroth certainly make it seem promising. IMDB describes it like.

Phineas Bogg is a voyager who travels through history keeping it on the right track. After he lands in Jeffery Jones' bedroom and loses his guide to history, the two of them travel through time together fixing things that go wrong.

IMDB member Abby Rexroth strongly recommends the series.

A lot of fans of this show were half my age in 1982-83. I was 14 and in high school. I had a terrible crush on Jon-Erik but the show was so good his beauty just enhanced a great show. I am 43 now and I never forgot it.

I was reading an article on Solei Moon Frye and remembered her big brother Meeno Peluce. Then I thought about Voyagers and how I hadn't seen it in almost 30 years. I went hunting. I found several episodes. Thank You Youtube!

I also thought I would look at the show with critical eyes like I do Dallas and Dynasty now. I was so wrong; I was thrust back to a simpler time, it really was a great way to learn.

If we had more educational shows like that today maybe the United States children wouldn't be so "dumbed-down".

YouTube does seem to have many of the episode . . . except the pilot. However, DailyMotion has it (and several others), so I posted it below, along with episode 2 from YouTube.

The picture quality is pretty good from both sources.

Enjoy!

________________________ Voyagers! Intro

____________ Voyagers! season 01 episode 01

___ Voyagers! Season 01 Episode 02 Created Equal

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyagers was an enjoyable sf tv show in its time.

They managed to avoid the plot conceit of time travel stories which hamstring the heroes by having them adhere to the rule of not altering the timeline in any shape, way, or form. That makes for passive time travelers & how is that ever interesting for an audience?

Something had affected the timeline on Voyagers as indicated by the nifty looking Omni device carried by Boggs.

When the light showed red, then something had gone awry in some era. It was up to Boggs & Jeffery to correct it & restore the timeline.

The show did not always reduce historical events or the people involved to simply black & white simplistic matters. They made the people & their times more complex. I liked that fact.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing bothers me about the premise. Confused

Does the show ever explain who wrote Bogg's Guidebook which contained a detailed description of how history was supposed to unfold? If not, I think I would feel frustrated by that omission.

The Wikipedia article provides details about the pilot and the premise, but it doesn't seem to answer that question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyagers!

Perhaps it was as simple as the fact that the people in the future had their own historical records that were somehow protected from changes in the past that would, of course, alter their "present" as well as the info in their history books.

But that doesn't answer the queston of who-or-what is causing the changes in the past!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zackuth
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the Navy when the show first aired and did not get to see it first run. One of the local stations ran reruns and I saw it after I had left the service. I enjoyed it greatly and was surprised that Voyagers only ran one season.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded the pilot and I need to give this highly recommend series a chance to win my sci-fi lovin' heart.

Stay tuned to this station for updates on Bud's reaction to a show that he will probably enjoy! Shocked

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This show was cancelled when the star Jon-Erik Hexum was killed during shooting a scene in the last episode.

He picked up a prop pistol and was joking around when he accidentally shot himself in the head with a blank wad at close range.

A real shame because he was great in his part and seemed to be a good person with real star potential.
Zackuth
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord, he did that in the series Cover Up.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true Zackuth, but here are the details :

On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity", on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load bullets into a .44 Magnum handgun, so he was provided with a functional real gun and blanks. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to play in the master shot, there was a delay in filming.

Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. Apparently, he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and, apparently simulating Russian roulette with what he thought was a harmless weapon, at 5:15 p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.

Hexum was apparently unaware that his actions were dangerous. Blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gunpowder into the cartridge, and this wadding is propelled from the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause injury if the weapon is fired within a few feet of the body should it strike at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye.

At a close enough range, the effect of the powder gasses is similar to a small explosion, so although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull, there was enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain, causing massive hemorrhaging.

Hexum was rushed to Beverly Hills Medical Center, where he underwent five hours of surgery to repair his wounds.

On October 18, six days after the accident, Hexum was declared brain dead. With his mother's permission, his body was flown to San Francisco on life support, where his heart was transplanted into a 36-year-old Las Vegas man at California Pacific Medical Center. Hexum's kidneys and corneas were also donated: One cornea went to a 66-year-old man with cataracts, the other to a young girl. One of the kidney recipients was a critically ill five-year-old boy, and the other was a 43-year-old grandmother of three who had waited eight years for a kidney. Skin that was donated was used to treat a 3??-year-old boy with third degree burns.

Hexum's body was then flown back to Los Angeles. He was cremated at Grandview Crematory in Glendale, California, and a private funeral was held. His ashes were scattered in the Pacific Ocean, near Malibu, California, by his mother.

Hexum's death was ruled accidental. His mother later received an out-of-court settlement from 20th Century Fox Television and Glen A. Larson Productions, the production team behind Cover Up

I've been bingewatchig the series and have to admit that even after all these years I still enjoy it greatly!

I just watched the episode where they rescue Cleopatra and bring her to the 20's where she gets hooked up with Lucky Luccianno until Boggs and Jeffery get her back to ancient Egypt in time to meet Mark Anthony. Totally 80's production, but still a fun story.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's surprising that an actor wouldn't realize the danger of putting the muzzle of gun to his temple and firing a blank cartridge. You'd think that firing guns loaded with blanks during filming would make any actor aware that the force of the blank is dangerous and not just a loud noise.

Equally puzzling is the idea that a person would fire of a blank that close to his ear, even if the gun was not aimed directly at his head! Blanks are about as loud as real bullets, and Hexum should have realized he might damage his eardrum by subjecting it to that much noise! Shocked

Ah, well. Hindsight is 20/20.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe he thought there was a charge in the gun. He thought it was empty.

Famous last words "I didn't know the gun was loaded!"
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so this part of your description —

Quote:
. . . he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and, apparently simulating Russian roulette with what he thought was a harmless weapon, at 5:15 p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.

— meant he thought he unloaded the gun . . . but he left one shell in by mistake?

Gosh, that doesn't exactly make him seem smarter than if he was an actor who should have known it was dangerous to fire blanks against his head! Confused

But while trying to find a reliable news account of the accident to determine what exactly Hexum's fatal mistake was, I encountered versions that didn't match.

Screenrant says "Hexum began jokingly playing Russian roulette with a .44 Magnum loaded with blanks."

The Wikipedia article you quoted said it was "a functional real gun and blanks [from which] he had unloaded all but one (blank) round."

IMDB's biography said he shot himself with a "prop gun loaded with blanks."

An article on bolesblogs.com said, "Jon-Erik pointed a .44 magnum revolver filled with stage blank cartridges at his temple."

And (get this one) UPI said, "The actor shot himself in the right temple with a gun loaded with blanks and empty cartridges."

Apparently the only aspect of this tragic event we can all agree on is that he definitely did not die while attempting to shot an apple off his own head with a bow and arrow! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: