ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Probe (1988)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Probe (1988) Reply with quote

I stumbled across this seven-episode series that was interrupted by a writers' strike. I never watched it, but IMDB describes it this way.

Austin James, an eccentric scientific prodigy, and his somewhat scatterbrained secretary, Michelle Castle, investigate a variety of murders, all with a scientific basis, whether it be a locked-room mystery in a nuclear reactor, or homicides committed with holograms.

Interesting. One of the IMDB users posted this very enthusiastic comment.

I remember this show fondly . . . it's one of my all-time favorites. I still have the entire series on Beta (recorded off-air during a bad thunderstorm, but what can you do?)

I agree with the other posters about it probably being "too smart" to be successful, but I think it was further harmed by the writers' strike that year. The network kept repeating the only 7 episodes (I assume) because there was nothing else in the can. By the time the dispute was resolved, the damage of endless repeats had been done. Too bad.

I was in high school when the series debuted, and I loved the fact that the show made me look things up. It really made me want to understand the topics being featured. (And it was a lot harder to look things up back then . . . no internet!)

Based on the IMDB info above, I watched episode 1 on YouTube, and I enjoyed it (despite the mediocre picture quality). The two main characters are likeable, quick witted, and fast talking. The writing seems to be really good. (Notice the funny title of the seventh episode.)

Give these a shot. Very Happy

_________ Probe 1x01 Computer Logic Part One

_________ Probe 1x02 Computer Logic Part Two

_______ Probe 1x03 Untouched By Human Hands

__ Probe 1x04 Black Cats Dont Walk Under Ladders Do They?

__ Probe 1x05 Metamorphic Anthropoidic Prototype Over You

_______________ Probe 1x06 Now You See It

________ Probe 1x07 Plan 10 From Outer Space

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the show, but to me it had a problem. He is stated to be the smartest man in the world, but most of his cases were pretty standard. The show should have been like the pilot, where he was pitted against a killer supercomputer. The smartest man in the world needed cases worthy of his intellect.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: