ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logan (2017)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Logan (2017) Reply with quote

Here's what IMDB says about this blockbuster hit!

In the near future, a weary Logan cares for an ailing Professor X in a hide out on the Mexican border. But Logan's attempts to hide from the world and his legacy are up-ended when a young mutant arrives, being pursued by dark forces.

Here's how Wikipedia begins there comments on the what the critics are say.

On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 92%, based on 249 reviews, with an average rating of 7.8/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Hugh Jackman makes the most of his final outing as Wolverine with a gritty, nuanced performance in a violent but surprisingly thoughtful superhero action film that defies genre conventions."

Sounds like I'll have to buy this one when it comes out. Very Happy

________________________ Logan - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to go through all 104 trivia items on IMDB, but I did find several good ones! Cool

Sir Patrick Stewart lost 21 pounds to play Charles Xavier as elderly and sick. Stewart claimed that he had a steady weight since he was a teenager and had never deliberately lost weight before. Hugh Jackman genuinely held Stewart in all the scenes of Wolverine carrying professor Xavier.

Note from me: This shows remarkable dedication on Stewar's part! (Either that or they paid him a butt-load of money.)

Professor Xavier's Psionic blast was done by shooting shaky footage and then re-stabilizing the frame in post. This resulted in footage containing strange motion blurs with smearing effects that are both organic and very unusual. The team shot the sequences slightly wider than was needed so that shots could be blown up to hide the edges of the stabilizing effect.

Note from me: What wild idea. I admire the guy who came up with it. Very Happy

Hugh Jackman induced dehydration for 48 hours prior to filming scenes of Wolverine shirtless, losing water weight. He added that the method is dangerous, and no one should attempt it at home.

Note from me: So, does that mean if you do it a friends house it's NOT dangerous? Shocked

The film was re-released in theatres on May 16, 2017 in a new black and white version known as Logan Noir. The new edition will also be included in the Blu-Ray and 4K release of the film.

Note from me: I would never have guessed there was a market for a b&w version of a color movie. Confused

When Logan, Charles, and Laura stop off during their road trip, Logan is seen standing next to a road sign that says "Oklahoma". Jackman was once the lead in the stage musical Oklahoma.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The film was re-released in theatres on May 16, 2017 in a new black and white version known as Logan Noir. The new edition will also be included in the Blu-Ray and 4K release of the film.

Note from me: I would never have guessed there was a market for a b&w version of a color movie
. Confused

The thing of it is, that it really isn't a b&w movie, it is a color movie with the color turned off. Black & white movies are not filmed like color movies. They are lit in a completely different way, even some of the filming techniques are different. Even as a kid, watching color movies on a b&w movies on TV I could tell there was a difference between it and a movie filmed in b&w.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I thought the same thing when I read that trivia item!

Just one example of the difference is that a b&w movie doesn't have the advantage of color to help the audience distinguish between objects and surfaces. And the brighter colors catch the eye and draw the viewer's attention to them because they stand out from the more muted colors around them.

Lighting a b&w film requires great attention to light and shadow, as well as composition and contrast.

Both of these pictures of Natalie Wood are beautiful. But the one on the left presents a striking contrast of light and shadow, with a very clear composition and a perfect use of symmetry.

The one on the right has a strong reliance on color. The cool blue of the background accents the sparkling brown eyes, the warm flesh tones, and the luscious red lips.

And if I keep talking about this I'm going to need to take a cold shower, so I think I'll reply to another thread now . . . Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:07 am; edited 3 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the bluray over the holiday weekend and it was not as good as I hoped it would be. The acting was fine but the story was a little weak. I am curious how other people liked it.
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: One of the best films of the year. Reply with quote

The Last Cut Is The Deepest!

SPOILER: Did we need another X-Men movie? In fact did we need another Wolverine movie? Well the result is there for all to see, with Logan not only showing itself to be undoubtedly the best Wolverine venture by far, but arguably the best X-Men picture as well. If, as expected (and surely to god it's hoped so), this is the last we see of the grumpy metal clawed superhero, then what a fitting and triumphant bow out it is.

James Mangold, the director, has managed to create an adult superhero movie without it really being a superhero pic, for he has created a film noir Western that happens to be about a superhero. Mangold's love of noir and Westerns bursts from the screen, which for those who follow those wonderful stands of cinema, will come as no surprise having seen with notice his Copland and 3:10 To Yuma redux. There's a perpetual grimness to the narrative that belies the quite often stunning surrounding locales, heavy themes such as men out of time - with destinies written (cue a deft comic book movie within a comic book chunk of metaphysics) - surrogates, mental illness, human ignorance, and on it goes, the narrative strong on intelligence as much as it is in wrought emotion. Western fans will also be buoyed by the part that the 1953 classic Western Shane has to play in things, considerably so as its importance narratively, orally and visually is mightily strong.

Logan's Run!

Ah yes, well being "adult" is all well and good, but is Logan thrilling? Do we get pumped up Wolverine action, blood brains, splatter and mucho muscle flexing and pained roars of anger? Oh yes! Action from the off is never far away, and wonderfully staged and choreographed it is. Lots of memorable set-pieces, while also some cleverly constructed sequences such as Xavier's mind seizures hold court and enthral. Yet the kicker with all that is we are clued in to the emotional baggage that the side-burn sporting protag carries with him. With each fight we sense the bigger picture, even as we watch in awe the emergence of Laura (ironic film noir name right there as it happens) - and her part in this very "human" story - the thrills and spills are propelled by a meaningful but battered heart.

Tech credits are superb. Acting honours go to Jackman, who after giving 17 years of his life to the character, gives it his all and this multi faceted performance, in a perfect world, deserves Oscar recognition. Patrick Stewart, also, is immense, playing the nonagenarian Charles Xavier with such class, gracefulness and storming emotion that one can only admire. Film debutante Dafne Keen as Laura is utterly engrossing, quite a debut indeed, whilst Stephen Merchant as albino mutant tracker Caliban is effective to the point we hanker for more. Although the villains fronted by Boyd Holbrook (rote henchman leader) and Richard E. Grant (smarmy scientist git) just about pass muster, there's nothing to damage the piece. Cinematography (John Mathieson) is "A" grade, the filters set on neo-noir, with the splendid film noir black and white version a fillip for the heart of noir lovers. All that is left is for the sound mix to boom and the director to steer with heart, brain and soul, without doubt both come up trumps.

One of 2017s best films, a genre splicer that ticks all the boxes of great film making. 10/10

Last edited by The Spike on Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting to get this one from Netflix, but it should be here in a few days.

Based on your comments, I think I'll enjoy it . . . but I can never be sure that a movie which was enjoyed by someone else will be enjoyed by me, regardless of how much our tastes might agree.

For example, I've always felt that Alien (1979) was a highly over-rated film. But I know from your posts on All Sci-Fi that you consider it to be the cream of the crop.

On the other hand, we both like the sequel, Aliens (1986). My enthusiasm for that movie is boundless.

Go figure, eh? Shocked

However, I've yet to read a review written by you in which you strongly disliked a movie I was plum crazy about. So, the differences in our opinions have never been polar opposites — just variations in degrees. Very Happy

That said, I'll probably like Logan . . . even if I don't love it. Time will tell. Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
For example, I've always felt that Alien (1979) was a highly over-rated film. But I know from your posts on All Sci-Fi that you consider it to be the cream of the crop.

On the other hand, we both like the sequel, Aliens (1986). My enthusiasm for that movie is boundless.

Blade Runner is the cream of the crop Cool I would say I'm more a complete admirer of Alien, if pushed into a desert island situation between Alien and Aliens, I'd be taking the latter.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both ALIEN and ALIENS were trend starters in the genre. ALIEN was essentialy a "haunted house in space" Sci-Fi Horror mashup while ALIENS was a military / soldiers vs alien story. Both are notable and although based on the same premise were successful in their execution.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held off posting my opinion about Logan because I've always felt that when a popular movie has demonstrated its worth to the fans who appreciated it, the last thing I want to do is post negatives opinions that are just based on my own particular tastes. Sad

The only reason I didn't care for it as much as the millions who enjoyed it is simple because I was hoping for another rousing, action-packed, Wolverine-kicks-ass movie. I own DVD's of all the other movies that include Wolverine, so I'm a true fan.

That said, I do respect the filmmakers for giving us an intelligent, respectful conclusion to the lives of both Xavier and Logan. It was the right thing to do, and I should definitely watch the film again, now that I'm not going in with the wrong expectations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: