ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Thing (1982)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boaz
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: The Thing (1982) Reply with quote

I will not go into why this is my favorite scifi film of all time or try and compare it to the classic 50's version.

Just to say this film is fantastic beyond words.

Read the short story both films are based on here.

http://www.scaryforkids.com/who-goes-there-by-john-w-campbell/

Glad to see Bud and the gang still have "All Sci-Fi" up and running. I have not been here in some time.But still my favorite scifi board.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing - (1982) Reply with quote

boaz wrote:
I will not go into why this is my favorite scifi film of all time or try and compare it to the classic 50's version.

Read the short story both films are based on here.

http://www.scaryforkids.com/who-goes-there-by-john-w-campbell/

Glad to see Bud and the gang still have "All SciFi" up and running. I have not been here in some time.But still my favorite scifi board.

Welcome back, Boaz!

First of all, please do go into why this is your favorite film of all time -- and you can make all the comparisons you want! That's exactly the kind of post we want here at The New All Sci-Fi, just like we did at the old one.

Personal feelings about a movie can be much more interesting than mere facts we could look up in a hundred other places. You're the only one on the planet who can tell us what this movie means to you -- and convince us we should feel the same way.

That's why I created this board -- and that's why I've been working on a very personal post for a certain classic science fiction movie for four days which I hope while be extremely enjoyable for all our members.

So, cut loose, Boaz! Based on your comment, I think my appreciation for John Carpenter's The Thing is way below what it ought to be.

Obviously, it needs some adjustments.

So . . . start adjusting!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
boaz
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud,

Well... to say I write a long essay on why I love this film and why the world should too would be silly since I could not write a coherent grocery list, let alone a long description.

Most people say "Blade Runner", "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "Solaris (1972)" are outstanding films. The best in Scifi. They are and they are not.

It all depends on your personal point of view. Or the era you grew up in. I was 15 in 1982 and saw this a year or so later. What caught me was the horror of the situation these men where in. For instance, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was terrifying for Dr. Miles Bennell. He knew what the aliens meant to humanity. But they could be stopped. They could be identified by the lack of emotion or lack of morality inherent in human beings. The destruction of the pods was the key. Sleeping or staying awake determined survival. They could be identified.

"The Thing"was different. There was no recognition at all. The men realized early no one could be trusted. They were on their own for survival. The constant state of paranoia for the characters in this film is fantastic. What would it be like to realize there was no way out? You will die one way or another? The alien cannot be stopped. There is no hope for you. The only thing to do is to try and prevent it from getting off Antarctica and infecting the planet. Slim chance at best. The film ends in an obscure way. There is no happy ending, no guarantee.

Not to mention the special effects are still light years ahead of today's lousy cgi some 30+ years later.

Since it follows the original story so closely it can not be compared to the first film. I love the original. Just not a true adaptation of the book.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first of all -- remember that I think I'm a real funny guy, so never misinterpret something I might say in jest as a serious criticism or a nasty remark. Very Happy

My problem is that my ex-wife once told me I was witty, and (silly me) I didn't realize she was being sarcastic! Rolling Eyes

Having said that, I would never buy a used car from a man who could lie like this:

boaz wrote:
Well . . . to say I write a long essay on why I love this film and why the world should too would be silly since I could not write a coherent grocery list, let alone a long description.

Wanna know what I'm watching right now?

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) (from Stagevu)

Wanna know why I'm watching it right now?

Because you talked me into it, you silver-tongued devil you! Shocked

Wanna know what I'm wearing right now? (Oops, skip that question! I got carried away. Embarassed)

Anyway, your humility is to be commended, your enthusiasm is to be admired, your writing ability is well above average, and your place of honor here at All Sci-Fi is set in stone — which should please you immensely if your hobby happens to be geology.

(See what my ex-wife had to put up with? No wonder she forced me to divorce her! Confused )

If there's anyone who understands the powerful influence a good movie can have a young mind, it's me. Just read that epic post I made yesterday about that 1960 movie, The Time Something-or-Other. The name escapes me. If anybody has read that one yet, please let me know.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
boaz
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you Bud!

I spend more time reading posts than writing them. Hope you enjoy the film just a little more this time.

Its dark, dire, and not for everyone. Its more scifi/horror then straight up scifi.

I do love it so....
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight change of plans.

I'll be watching The Thing tomorrow with bulldogtrekker. He lives in South Carolina and I live in North Carolina, but we watch movies "together" by synchronizing them when we communicate through Facebook, pausing both copies on the studio logo and then starting them both when one of us (usually me) types "Go" on the Facebook chat window.

We've been doing this for years. It's amazing how well it works. If we're both watching the same DVD copy, they stay together all the way through the movies.

If I'm watching a DVD and he's watching a Stagvu download (for example), we sometimes have to make small adjustments during the movie.

It's easy.

Of course, one must have a laptop he can use in the room with the TV, so that he can watch the movie and type messages on Facebook for the other guy's amusement. Stuff like:

Bud: Hey, do you think I'd look good in that hat?

Bulldogtrekker: I don't know. Do you look good without it?

Bud: Well . . . no.

Bulldogtrekker: Ah-ha. Then I guess the hat wouldn't help. Very Happy

Anyway, delaying the movie until tomorrow is giving me a chance to psych myself up by reading the story at the site you provided (as you recommended Very Happy), and I'll enjoy the movie more if I can chat with bulldogtrekker while we watch it. Very Happy

I wish we'd been given a look inside the ship.

You know, a brief guided tour by this guy. Kind of a . . . heads up. Very Happy

By the way, I love the logo of that website that has Who Goes There.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2000 George Clooney did a live tv version of "Fail Safe". It did pretty well, and it was announced that George Clooney was going to do a tv adaption of "Who Goes There". But for some reason it never came to be. A shame, as it was suppose to follow close to the story.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, because I'm so pumped!

I'm at chapter 10 (out of 12) at 8:22 PM, and this story is terrific! I read it when I was about 15 (in 1963), and I remember a few things about the ending, but not all the great details of the story.

And all the while I'm gaining more and more respect for what Carpenter did in 1982. He sensationalized it a bit too much with all the creepy creatures and the gore, but he definitely managed to catch some of the really disturbing flavor of the horrible situation.

I'm wondering if I should write a post that addresses all three of the versions: the short story, the 1951 version, and the 1982 -- all in one post!

I like writing about subjects that require some research -- like the recent The Time Machine post. I think I'd enjoy writing a post about the different versions of Who Goes There. Very Happy

ANOTHER UPDATE: I finished it at 10:15 PM! Fantastic story. I can see so much of the Carpenter version in this story, although I still think John distracted the audience from the real genius of the piece with too many gruesome monster FX.

A few examples of what the alien could do would be needed to rivet the audience to the plot, but not as much as Carpenter used.

Boaz, I'm deeply grateful for urging me to read the story. I am SO ready to watch the Stagevu download tomorrow with bulldogtrekker (sort of "with" -- but it's still fun, even though we're in different states! Very Happy).

By the way, did you catch the little creative modifications I made on one of the pictures I posted above? I just couldn't resist. Wink

This was the only interesting illustration for the story I could find -- which really surprised me. I thought lots variations would have been done over the years.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
boaz
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, what I see different is the half moon in the pic with the spaceship.

The main problem with critics back in the 80's was the gore. However, it was all basic do it yourself special effects with liquid rubber, panty hose , duct tape and whatever was at hand to create those effects by Rob Bottin who was hospitalized at the end of filming because of exhaustion since he never took a day off in over a year of the films production. I love all the gore since its realistic (made with love) compared to the cgi of 90's thru to today.

Check out the prequel "The Thing" 2011 which is on Stagevu. I got the bluray of this film. Its about what happened at the Norwegian camp before the dog made it to the U.S. camp. It is alright but the cgi is awful. Even the Fire looks fake!!!! Make sure you include it in your different versions of "Who Goes There?"

If you are interested....Read "At The Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/mm.aspx

It is a novella that fans of all things "The Thing" see as the original story. Even before "Who Goes There" by Campbell. Its a great read if you never read it!!
Lovecraft can be tedious to read because of the archaic wording but its a great story.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boaz wrote:
From memory, what I see different is the half moon in the pic with the spaceship..

If you are interested....Read "At The Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/mm.aspx

It is a novella that fans of all things "The Thing" see as the original story.

Looking forward to reading the Lovecraft story.

You got me! Yes, I added the moon, and I boosted the color on the ship a bit (without boosting the color on the Earth), and I moved the ship over a little, just to alter the composition for the fun of it. Very Happy

I put the 2011 The Thing on my Netflix list because the version on Stagevu isn't working. Stagevu says to copy it or go to the link in the description to watch it, but neither one works.

I have seen it, but I don't remember much about it, so I'll watch it again when it comes from Netflix, now that I have a better appreciation for the 1982 version and the story itself.

I wish you had a way to share The Thing with me and Tim today. You'd have to have a laptop in the room with your TV, and you'd have to be on Facebook. If you are on Facebook, here's my page.

Today I'll start composing the comparison post. I'll probably send you a draft by PM to get your input in a few days.

This is going to be fun! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
boaz
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a facebook account once but canceled it because I could not keep up with all the posts. I had no interest in it.

I Love the pics of the three eyed alien.

I look forward to your comparison of the films, if you ever decide to do it.

I thought the prequel was a sloppy job. Why does there have to be Americans at the Norwegian base?

The ending in the ship was silly in my opinion and the decision to use cgi when practical effects would have been enough. As I said before, watch the cgi of fire in this film....awful.

On the other hand, the film does look like it could have been made in the eighties and there are some good moments and some great effects. The tie ins with the '82 film I think are wonderful.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting observations about the the movies, the story, and my essay on the subject. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with all of Carpenter's work is that he puts the gore ahead of the story.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that way too with a lot of his movies. But every now and then he makes something like Starman and Big Trouble in Little China. Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 147 trivia items for this movie. Here's a few of the ones I found the most interesting. Very Happy

This movie has become part of the culture in Antarctica. It is a long standing tradition in all British Antarctic research stations to watch The Thing (1982) as part of their Midwinter feast and celebration held every June 21.

Note from me: What a great tradition!

Then they have a contest to see who can stay awake all night. But since the Antarctic nights are six months long, nobody was ever won! Shocked

John Carpenter has stated that of all his films, this is his personal favorite.

Note from me: My favorite of his is Big Trouble in Little China. Very Happy

This film is considered a benchmark in the field of special make-up effects. These effects were created by Rob Bottin, who was only 22 when he started the project.

Note from me: Imagine being 22 years old, having that much talent, and being large-and-in charge on this movie! Very Happy

In August 2003 a couple of hard-core fans, Todd Cameron and Steve Crawford, ventured to the remote filming location in Stewart, British Columbia, and, after 21 years, found remains of Outpost #31 and the Norwegian helicopter. The rotor blade from the chopper now belongs to Todd and rests in his collection of memorabilia from the film.

Note from me: How do we know these two are the real Todd and Steve? What if they found what the thought was a movie prop and thawed it out? But what if it was actually alien remains and . . .

My God. I might be the only real human left on Earth! Shocked

According to John Carpenter in an interview, he takes all of his failed movies pretty hard, but this was the one that disappointed him the most. Not only was the movie a box-office failure upon release, but both critics and the audience (to Carpenter's shock) panned its gory effects and bleak tone.

He was particularly upset when the original movie's director, Christian Nyby, publicly denounced Carpenter's version, saying, "If you want blood, go to the slaughterhouse. All in all, it's a terrific commercial for J&B Scotch."

Note from me: I must confess, my love for the original tends to make me agree with Mr. Nyby. This movie has a ton of gore and a group of depressed characters who bear no resemblance to the clever, upbeat, brave folks who made the original film a joy to watch. Sad

Some scenes were shot with stop-motion animation, but John Carpenter rejected them, because they looked too fake.

Note from me: This must have disappointed Stan Winston, who undoubtedly did the animation and who championed the use of stop motion right up until his fine work during per-production on Jurassic Park was ultiimately rejected when CGI experiments showed Steven Speilberg (who was never a fan of stop motion) that the new computer animation had become good enough to replace stop motion.

__________________ The Thing (1982) Trailer

___

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: