ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOS episode #19 - Arena
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: TOS episode #19 - Arena Reply with quote

I've read that this is the episode where Shatner, Nimoy & Kelly got tinnitus caused by the scenes on location where there were explosives detonated.

Shatner got the worst of it.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impressive looking colony set on Cestus III was originally a 19th century military fort set constructed for the 1956 tv show Tales 77th Bengal Lancers.

It would show up on a number of television including The Big Valley & The High Chaparral.

Last edited by Pow on Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rather small shot taken during the filming of "Arena" - from www.thesearethevoyagesbooks.com...
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. William Shatner currently suffers from tinnitus due to an improperly timed special effects explosion on the set of this episode.
Both Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley reportedly suffered from tinnitus as well during the remainder of their lives.

Also:

The scenes on the planet surface were filmed at Vasquez Rocks, California, the same location used for Star Trek: Shore Leave (1966), Star Trek: Friday's Child (1967) and several other Star Trek productions.

The area of Kirk's fight with the Gorn, in front of a jagged rock face known to fans as "Gorn Rock".

The fort set (Cestus III), retouched here with science-fiction trappings and location signs, can be seen in several early episodes of The Wild Wild West (1965), most prominently in The Wild Wild West: The Night of the Sudden Plague (1966).

It also is an important part of the coincidentally-titled Mission: Impossible: Trek (1967). This set was directly adjacent to Vasquez Rocks - so close that in Bat Masterson: Dagger Dance (1961), both the fort and the distinctive peaks of Vasquez Rocks appear in the same shot.

In some shots Vasquez Rocks can be seen from the set in "Arena" itself.

The fort set plays a major role in Bonanza: Alias Joe Cartwright (1964). The fort's walls and crenelations are clearly visible throughout the episode. The Vasquez Rocks area is used for the traveling segments back and forth to town. According to Eddie Paskey's website, it was also used for Beau Geste (1939).

According to Jerry L. Schneider's "Vasquez Rocks" web page on Movie Making Locations, the fort was built in the mid 1950s for the television show Tales of the 77th Bengal Lancers (1956) from Screen Gems, a Columbia Pictures subsidiary, erected at a cost of US$117,843.17.

The set was torn down several years after the filming of "Arena", and the area is a parking lot across from the Vasquez Rocks Natural Area.

A piece of crinkled "stone" wall, which was black aluminum foil, was placed at the top of the frame to hide the California landscape with homes that would have otherwise been seen in one very wide shot of the fort.

The remastered version of the episode corrects this error by rendering a CGI landscape in place of the foil.

The Gorn challenged Kirk to a rematch:

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actor Vic Perrin did the voice of the omnipotent Metron being Kirk encounters.

Vic did the opening & closing narration for The Outer Limits.

On Star Trek: TOS he would also do the voice for Nomad on ''The Changeling,'' & appear as an alien leader in ''Mirror, Mirror.''
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About those "Metrons" :

The Metrons (Carolyne Barry) were named after Metatron. God's other high-ranking soldier in Michael's army of angels. Hence, their cherubic, spiritual appearance.

"Metron" is similar to Metatron, an angel in Judaism. The name means "instrument of change" in Greek. The name of the planet, Cestus III, refers to gladiatorial combat. A cestus is a type of boxing glove, consisting of strips of iron wrapped in leather, which gladiators wore in the arena.

The Metrons pronounce their name "Meh-trahn" but Kirk mispronounces it as "Meh-trohn" every time, and Spock uses both forms.

In his final speech, the Metron informs Kirk that, because he demonstrated mercy, he will not be destroyed.

Initially, they said they planned to destroy the loser, "in the interests of peace".

In Coon's script, in dialogue not aired, the Metron admits that they had, all along, planned to actually destroy the ship of the winner of the personal combat, because that race would represent the greater danger to them.

James Blish preserves this disclosure in his novelization in Star Trek 2.

Vic Perrin's dialogue as the Metron has a few phrases that are quite similar to his "Control Voice" narration on The Outer Limits (1963).

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this copy of this, er, comment, someone made years ago, while browsing an old folder of assorted pictures I'd saved today...

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, when I went to see Shatner's one man show "Shatners World" he said that this was the episode that started his Tinnitus.

A very good show if anyone gets the chance to see it.

This is Vasquez rocks from a few years ago. That's the rock
that the Gorn was making his rock dagger. Being reenacted by a co-worker I dragged up on a business trip.

It's only about 45 min from LAX and well worth the trip.

The Invaders also filmed the episode "The Saucer" there.

I found some of the locations, but not the saucer landing spot sadly.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a real treat from Starlog issue #4. It presents both the original short story on which Arena was based and a few comments about the TOS episode.

By gum if THIS doesn't inspire some great comments from All Sci-Fi's members, my legal name isn't Bud Brewster! Wink

Click on each page here to see a large, easy-to-read version you can zoom in on. Click on the large version again, and then zoom in as close as you want!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the story and enjoyed it very much!

It's quite different from the TOS episode for the most part, but the basic conflict is the same. The climax of the story and episode are radically different.

I highly recommend the imaginative tale. Cool

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read & enjoyed Brown's novel.

Looking at the drawings for the alien creature, it seems like it would have been an excellent subject to create by either Ray Harryhausen or Rick Baker for a film adaptation.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< SPOILER >>

The "scene" in the story of him knocking himself unconscious and rolling down the sand mound through the barrier seemed familiar. I must have read it previously, back when I had a subscription to Starlog.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Looking at the drawings for the alien creature, it seems like it would have been an excellent subject to create by either Ray Harryhausen or Rick Baker for a film adaptation.

I'd be much more inclined to think that this alien is a good candidate for CGI. The undulating quality of its rolling movements would be perfect for CGI, but tough to do as animation or a model.

Boris Vallejo did what author Frederic Brown could not — he embellished the hideous alien with colors and strange appendages that made it far more complex than just a mobile beanbag chair! Very Happy

Don't get me wrong, Frederic Brown could have included a detaied description of the alien that included what we see in Boris Vallejo's painting, but it would have been a waste of words. He just described the human character's reaction to the creature and left the details to the reader's imagination.

Good work, Frederic! Cool

By the way, I tried to add this post to the Trek BBS website in their TOS forum and got smacked down within minutes by the site administrator, who admonished me for violating copyright laws by posting the story, and who said it was inappropriate for me to "promote my own message board" by mentioning that we had over a dozen posts of Starlog and Cinefantastique articles which the members of their board were invited to enjoy without even having to join All Sci-Fi.

The only other reply I got was from a member who commented on the Boris painting by saying, "Nice homoerotic artwork." Rolling Eyes

I deleted the post and asked them to delete the thread. So far, they haven't done that, so the lecture about my copyright infringement and the comment about the artwork are still there.

They locked the thread, which now says this at the top.

Thread Status: Not open for further replies.

Today I posted a new version that looks like this.

Enjoy these high-resolution scans — compliments of Archive.org — of an article in Starlog #4 that includes Frederic Brown's short story Arena, which was the inspiration of the TOS episode of the same name.

https://archive.org/stream/starlog_magazine-004/004#page/n33/mode/2up

The link below has enhanced version of the Archive.org scans which are even easier to read. (For the record, I enhanced them myself).

http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?p=22585#22585

Enjoy!

We'll see if they like that better than my previous post.

Their baseless fears about copyright infringement of articles from Archive.org and their objections to the promotion of other message boards who might steal their members is part of the reason why message boards have all but disappeared! Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you be in violation of copyright laws, whereas archive.org wouldn't?

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Wayne! Very Happy

And the new version of the post on Trek BBS is a big hit, with several enthusiast replies and a comment from a moderate who says there's no problem with it.

I'll send PMs to the nice folks who expressed their enthusiasm, inviting them to join All Sci-Fi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: