ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: MIRACLES DO HAPPEN! Reply with quote

Bud..... I can not express my graditude for ALL your efforts to resurrect ASF !!!!!!!!

You are indeed ....THE MAN !!!!!
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, all - and let us hope that a copy of the board can be made, in case there are any future hiccups... Very Happy
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked and delight this morning to discover that Mrs. Everett and Sean had granted my request to reconnect the server. Despite some mistakes I made in dealing with the situation, their kindness prevailed and All Sci-Fi has been given a new lease on life.

We all owe them a debt of gratitude. Very Happy

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You squeaky wheel, you. Wink

WayneO
-----------
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times has All Sci-Fi seemingly died, only to rise again from the ashes? This board has more lives than a cat!

Anyway, it's good to see the board back. My heartfelt thanks to Vickie and Sean Everett for getting things up and running again.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you asked that question. Here's the History of All Sci-Fi.

The first versions was created in 2005 and lasted only a year before the "free forum" that hosted it went out of business. I was living in Georgia at the time.

In 2007 I moved to North Carolina and decided to create the second version on another "free forum". It was littered with annoying ads which required AdBlock Plus to get rid of.

It lasted six years, but that second web host became increasing unreliable, and Randy Everett made several offers to host ASF on his personal server.

The big problem with this idea was that the web host ignored my frequent requests to give us the database so that Randy could plug it into the phpBB v. 2 software he'd had installed on his server.

Without the database the new All Sci-Fi would have to start from scratch with no members and no posts!

But we went ahead and created the new board (which is this one) in December of 2013 and kept it lock up until we absolutely had to move to it -- which we did when that second host finally vanished from the web one morning.

That was in March 2014, so we opened up this board, the third version, rolled up our sleeves, and started posting here as fast as we could. We now have over 14,000 posts and 121 members.

However, several months ago disaster struck when Randy's server at the Kansas City server farm completely gave out, and he told me there was no way to recover the data. I was devastated.

Colossus, eat your heart out! Shocked

But one week later Randy told me his son Sean had discovered that All Sci-Fi's database had been stored on a regular basis by the makers of the phpBB software as a routine practice! Randy and Sean downloaded the raw data and spent days converting it to the proper form necessary for the new server Randy had purchased.

After many hours of work, All Sci-Fi rose from the grave a third time, fully intact on a brand new server and ready to resume it's duties, unlike the two previous resurrections which required us to start completely from scratch!

So, in a way that was the fourth version.

And finally, there's this most recent miracle ??? performed by Mrs. Everett and Sean, when they reinstated the internet connection for the server in Kansas City and got All Sci-Fi back on line yet again!

So, this one could be called the return of the fourth version ??? or ??? the second return of the third version!

Can I get an AMEN, brothers? Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great News!
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I told Bud recently, he's the luckiest unlucky guy I know.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think I responded with this.

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad its back. Hope there are several backups?
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MIRACLES DO HAPPEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not one given to placing any validity in the idea of miracles.

But in this case, yeah.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius wrote:
Glad its back. Hope there are several backups?

Sadly, there aren't, simply because Randy is the primary site admin, and he can do things with the site which I can't. The server belongs to him, and I don't know exactly where it's located in Kansas City. I don't even have any contact info for the server farm.

Randy controlled all that, including the backups at regular intervals I requested. But the backups are located on the same server. That's how Randy chose to do it, and he only owns one server.

However, he told me he also made periodic backups of the database on his home computer. But those would only be useful if the server went down and Randy used the backup to restore the database on the server.

Unfortunately, his daughter told me just a few days ago that Randy isn't able to use his computer yet, because of the stroke. And of course, he hasn't been able to make those backups recently for the same reason.

It took me a week to convince Mrs. Everett and her son to resume the payments of the internet connection for the server. And even though Randy's son, Sean, has some impressive computer skills, he's busy with his own life and not able to spend his time maintaining All Sci-Fi, the way his father did.

For example, Randy used to look closely at every new member's registration to make sure they weren't just here to promote a business or a product. Randy would often delete a member he deemed bogus within an hour of their registration! Smile

In fact, I only found out about Randy's stroke when I noticed three days had passed without a new member's registration being activated.

That's when I started calling his number, and after leaving messages for several days, his wife answered the phone and told me that Randy had suffered a stroke several weeks earlier.

The site went off line last week simply because Randy's condition prevented him from doing routine task like paying the bill for the internet service.

So, that's why we don't have backups.

Even though I'm the site admin of All Sci-Fi, Randy's personal server is not something I have any access to whatsoever. It's just as protected from my tampering as it is from hackers and viruses.

So, we're in an unfortunate situation. Our existence is dependent on the cooperation of Randy's family.

We can only hope that their kindness and generosity will continue while we wait for our friend Randy to recuperate from his stroke and resume his important duties here at All Sci-Fi.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian Kent
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
How many times has All Sci-Fi seemingly died, only to rise again from the ashes? This board has more lives than a cat!

Anyway, it's good to see the board back. My heartfelt thanks to Vickie and Sean Everett for getting things up and running again.

Maybe the Board's name should be changed to Pheonix of SCI-FI. In part for the reason stated above, and because the Board resurrects SCI-FI of the past. About changing the name of the Board, I am speaking rhetorically, of course.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working with a very knowledgeably and understanding gentleman who hopes to help me move All Sci-Fi to it's own server and prevent if from ever crashing again.

Wish me luck, folks. Things look very promising! Very Happy

Sens8
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're back. Just got your e-mail re validating our email addresses and that was the first I'd heard of it. Thought you'd just bitten the dust for good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: