ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Thing from Another World (1951)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy mackerel, Wayne, I thought for sure I'd made my case crystal clear. Your statement really puzzles me.

Wayne wrote:
The blue arrow you show in the upper frame should be pointing in the same direction in the lower frame, instead of where you show it, passing right through the three actors on the right side of the frame (or maybe just a tad farther right).

Look again, Wayne. As you can see, the blue arrow goes between the same two guys. The one with the Geiger counter is Dewey Martin. I can name all ten guys in the circle and what order they stood in.

That's how long I worked on this yesterday! Shocked

_

But you're right that the cloud pattern in both shots are similar!

___

And yet what is below that part of the cyclorama in the two shots is very different. The cloud behind Dewey Martin's head in the blue arrow picture is the one directly over the saucer's slide path in the long shot!

The man who is nearest those clouds in the long shot is Paul Frees, standing close to the ship's exposed stabilizer. (See, I told you I could name them.)

I can't figure that out. Confused

When I was making those pictures I was surprised when I realized the camera never shows the saucer's slide path leading up to the melted circle anytime except in the long shots. Not one glimpse of it after the men form the circle in the long shot.

The closest we ever get to see in that direction is this picture with the red arrow, which is from the scene when they start chopping the Thing out of the ice.

This shot is angled the furthest to the left, towards the saucer's slide path, than any other shot. As I said, at no point do we see down the long trail of melted snow after the long shot of the men in the circle.

Notice the red arrow on the map (and the red star showing where the Thing was buried). The arrow shows that the camera is angled furthest to the left in that shot, but still off to the right of the area shown in the long shot of the circled men.

I stated in my earlier post that the three photos with the yellow, blue, and orange arrows are from one unbroken camera pan that moves from right to left, showing each of the areas indicated by the arrows in the long shot of the circled men.

Please understand that those pictures were not taken from three separate shots which I just assumed were adjoining areas. The camera moves slowly over the whole arc with no cuts whatsoever!

You can watch it on Youtube at the link below and see for yourself.

And when you do, take note of the fact that Paul Frees is seen standing directly behind the saucer's stabilizer in the long shot (as shown on my map), but as the pan moves to the left and brings him into frame, the stabilizer is not visible!. It's apparently behind him and out of the frame.

_ The Thing from Another World - "We finally got one..."

That's a key point in my argument, Wayne. The area in that one shot is too wide for a flat background painting. A curved cyclorama is needed so that the camera is looking directly towards the painting throughout the pan -- not just when it's pointed at the middle portion.

And later on, the camera is pointed even further to the left (the red arrow) when the men start chopping the ice.

The map shows that when the camera was positioned within the frozen circle, it could look out in any of the directions indicated by the arrows and view any part of the semi-circular background painting dead on -- never at an angle, the way it would if it were panning across a large, flat painting from one side to the other.

Imagine what that panning shot would have looked like if the background paintings had been flat!

The panning shot would look the way a big billboard does when you drive past it -- angled sharply coming and going, and viewed dead-on only when you're right in front of it.

With a cyclorama, this doesn't happen.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 9 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop the presses! I just figure it out!

Wayne's sharp-eyed recognition of the cloud pattern that appears in two separate scenes -- and in two very separate places -- gave me the clue I needed to solve the mystery of why Hawks never let us see in the direction of the saucer's slide path other than the long shots when the men approach the site and when they form the circle!

The reason the cloud patterns in these too scenes are the same, even though the clouds are over two very different spots is . . . it's the same section of the cyclorama, used in two locations!

__

First they used it here, as the background for the initial approach and the scene of the men in the circle.

Then they moved it to the side of the set for the rest of the shots. Heck, why do a painting for both scenes when you can use one painting twice!

That means my map needs to be amended to look like this --

-- with the straight blue line being the background painting used for the long shots, after which it was relocated to the side and reshaped as the cyclorama.

Hot damn, I am so good at this! Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, was straining to find the saucer's fin in the close-up shots where it was depicted in the long shots.

Bud Brewster wrote:
The area in that one shot is too wide for a flat background painting. A curved cyclorama is needed so that the camera is looking directly towards the painting throughout the pan -- not just when it's pointed at the middle portion.

Here are three frames of the circle-of-characters pan stitched together into a single panorama. (Ignore the green line; that was for something else.)

Note that the shadows cast by the cast ( Laughing ) are almost perpendicular to the camera's view at the left side, and only slightly angled from the camera's view at the right. That would mean a curved backdrop would have almost direct sun at the right end, but very oblique sunlight on the left. That should have made the backdrop much brighter at the right end than at the left; a difference that doesn't show up in the frames (see the change in the encircling "snow" bank?).

I'll concede the point of a curved cyclorama if you can produce one BTS photo showing an undeniably curved outdoor cyclorama used in any production.

WayneO
-----------
Danilo
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I, too, was straining to find the saucer's fin in the close-up shots where it was depicted in the long shots.

Bud Brewster wrote:
The area in that one shot is too wide for a flat background painting. A curved cyclorama is needed so that the camera is looking directly towards the painting throughout the pan -- not just when it's pointed at the middle portion.

Here are three frames of the circle-of-characters pan stitched together into a single panorama. (Ignore the green line; that was for something else.)

Note that the shadows cast by the cast ( Laughing ) are almost perpendicular to the camera's view at the left side, and only slightly angled from the camera's view at the right. That would mean a curved backdrop would have almost direct sun at the right end, but very oblique sunlight on the left. That should have made the backdrop much brighter at the right end than at the left; a difference that doesn't show up in the frames (see the change in the encircling "snow" bank?).

I'll concede the point of a curved cyclorama if you can produce one BTS photo showing an undeniably curved outdoor cyclorama used in any production.

It seems to me a curved outdoor cyclorama and a good one.

Last edited by Danilo on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me a photo of an actual outdoor curved cyclorama.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, you're amazing! You did it again -- provided vital clues to the solution of this mystery.

Your terrific composite photo of the panning shot really brought things into focus. I was able to compare it to some of the material I've put together, and I think I can offer some new ideas.

Here's what I did.

Using your photo, I placed yellow, blue, and orange arrows similar to the ones used earlier -- but with a big difference! Instead of showing the center of each shot to call attention to the cloud formations and landscape they include, I drew them to pinpoint the extreme right and left boundaries of the panning shot (as well as the center).

We know that the background shown in that scene is a big chunk of the total painting. There's a little bit more on the left and right, but the part shown in that one continuous shot is enough to help us draw some important conclusions.

Here's your composite picture with the arrows. Notice how wide the angle is between the two arrows on the sides.

Then I placed arrows on the long shot of the circled men so we could consider the scope of the panning shot from that perspective. The angle between the yellow arrow and the orange arrow looks even wider when viewed this way.

Based on the two photos above, it was easy to place the arrows on my map. First I numbered all the colored stars that represent the men. Paul Frees is number 1, Dewey Martin is number 10, Scotty is number 8, and Carrington is number 3.

And then I drew the arrows that showed the limits of the pan, labeled far left and far right. The angle they form is about 130 degrees. Remember, these are the boundaries of one unbroken camera pan.

I was pleased to note that the cyclorama easily accommodated the left and right boundaries of the shot, and the camera would always be viewing the painting dead-on in any direction! Very Happy

Now, here's where things get interesting.

I carefully considered the problem of where to put a long, straight background painting that would be visible to the camera from both the left and right extremes of the panning shot, with a little left over for the additional areas we see on the sides during a few other shots.

The results surprised me.

Uh-oh. There seems to a problem, Wayne. Remember when I said the view of the right and left ends of a wide, straight background painting would be distorted by the extreme angle?

Well, it's worse than I thought. This arrangement would cause the two ends to look like this!

And it doesn't even cover the far right very well, so I had to make it longer!

Of course, all that would do is make the background at the right end so far away you'd need binoculars to get a good look at it! Shocked

So, what do you think, Wayne? Still convinced they used one incredibly long, completely straight background painting?

I'll say one thing for it, though -- it would certainly catch the sunlight well! Very Happy

P.S. It just occurred to be that all that white "snow" in the area, right up to the base of the cyclorama, might have provided enough reflected sunlight to solve the lighting problem you've described.

Well, you gotta admit, it's a nice sciency idea, ain't it. Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
So, what do you think, Wayne? Still convinced they used one incredibly long, completely straight background painting?

Yes, because your layout relies on conflicting information.

First, look carefully at how far apart the actors are in the first shot as compared to the second shot. Here, the two in the foreground look like they could touch fingertips without even losing their balance.

But look how far apart they are in the second shot (the two separated by the tail end of the blue arrow).

The point is you can't gauge anything by comparing actor placement between the long shots and the close-ups. These guys are moved around like chess pieces to suit the framing required. We can't even be sure they're positioned in a circle in the panoramic image. It could be more elliptical, pulled in at the sides, to exaggerate the depth. The panning throws off our perception.

Secondly, look at the amount of sky background visible in the panoramic image versus the amount we see in the distance shot. In the panorama we're seeing maybe only half the height of what's visible in the one-shot overview. And you're worried about running out of backdrop height?

It'll be easier to convince me by finding a photo of a curved outdoor cyclorama. Any studio.

WayneO
-----------
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
So Bill Warren and Ted Newsom -- two noted film historians -- are wrong?

You're assuming what? They call the backdrops "cycloramas" so that means they're curved? This is what Wikipedia has to say about theatrical cycloramas:

Wikipedia wrote:
A cyclorama is a large curtain or wall, often concave, positioned at the back of the stage area. It was popularized in the German theater of the 19th century and continues in common usage today in theaters throughout the world. A "cyc" (US theatrical abbreviation) can be made of unbleached canvas (larger versions) or muslin (smaller versions), filled scrim (popularized on Broadway in the 20th century), or seamless translucent plastic (often referred to as "Opera Plastic"). Traditionally it is hung at 0% fullness (flat). When possible, it is stretched on the sides and weighted on the bottom to create a flat and even surface.

[My bolding]

Bud Brewster wrote:
Uh . . . I didn't say anything about the height. It's the width that a straight backdrop would require that makes that idea impossible.

Bud Brewster wrote:
This arrangement would cause the two ends to look like this!

Confused

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My drawing illustrated how the ends would be viewed by the camera at an extreme angle if the painting was flat and extended as far out to sides as it would have to.

I thought I'd made that clear.

And Ted Newsom was pretty clear, too.

Ted Newsom wrote:
The cyclorama was obviously huge, and may have wrapped around more than 180 degrees. Still, the expense of making it was a lot cheaper than shipping the entire cast and crew back to Montana for another month of sitting around.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Uh . . . I didn't say anything about the height. It's the width that a straight backdrop would require that makes that idea impossible.

Bud Brewster wrote:
My drawing illustrated how the ends would be viewed by the camera at an extreme angle if the painting was flat and extended as far out to sides as it would have to.

But you would see it that way only if the backdrop wasn't tall enough to cover the field of view vertically. What am I not seeing here?

Okay, since nobody's bothering with the simplest way to settle this (a photo of any curved outdoor backdrop), I conducted a little search myself. I came up with photos of the RKO Encino "ranch" taken in 1953, two years after The Thing.

http://www.retroweb.com/gallery/index.php?album=Studio%20Backlots/RKO%20Encino%20Ranch/Bison%20Archives/Aerial%20Views/1953

I see no curved cyclorama, but I do see a big flat wide backdrop there in the back.

As for Ted Newsom's remarks about the shape of the "cyclorama", I see nothing more than assumptions of it being curved.

Tomorrow I'll show you the errors in your map diagram of the camera setup.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well heck, thanks again for providing just what I needed to prove my point. Very Happy

Please explain to me why a camera that panned across a wide flat backdrop like this --

-- would not look exactly like this --

-- on the ends, the way I said it would.

Wayne, you CANNOT pan across a flat backdrop this wide without distortion being caused by the extreme angle on the far right and far left.

And yes, since you brought it up, the height is also a factor. The further away the ends of a flat backdrop gets from the camera, the smaller they appear to the eye and the camera.

Hey, maybe the shape of the backdrop you envision for The Thing looked like this. Shocked

But the image painted on it is still going to suffer from that pesky problem called perspective. I'm sure you've noticed from all my funny little diagrams (not to mention some nice artwork) that I have a good handle on that concept.

You know as well as I do that perspective is the thing that happens when the original image looks like this --

-- but when you photograph it at an angle it looks like this.

And THAT, Wayne , is why they absolutely, positively HAD to curve the cyclorama to make it look like a real outdoor location from several camera set ups and with a wide pan -- a pan you demonstrated with your own composite picture.

By the way, I suspect that combining several images from a pan like you did tends to distort the image a bit, and that's why the circle looks squeezed inward from the sides. You noticed the fact that the men's shadows weren't parallel, the way they would be if you stood back and took the picture of the whole circle of men.

Using three images taken from a single point position while facing in different directions is a bit like using a fish-eye lens. It compresses the image.

That compression also reduced the apparent angle of the pan, as shown by the arrows.

I was also puzzled when you said the actors weren't in the same positions in both the long shot and the panning shot. Okay, but . . . so what? That's completely irrelevant.

Here's why.

The pan went from one side of the circle of men to the other, and the circle was the same approximate size in both the long shot and the panning shot. So the angles would be the same in both situations.

__

So, before you get started with your "corrections" of the diagrams, I'm pretty sure they don't need it. Allowing for the compression in your photo compared to the long shot, those angles are correct. Given the simple geometry involved, how could they not be?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for being so slow in replying, but I'm dealing with that POS Photobucket website. That's what makes trying to post images here a pain in the BUTT.

Here's where your map diagram misinterprets the setup.

First, the placement of the actors appears fairly reasonable, so we'll take that as a starting point. We have to start somewhere.

Bud Brewster wrote:
First I numbered all the colored stars that represent the men. Paul Frees is number 1, Dewey Martin is number 10, Scotty is number 8, and Carrington is number 3.

I've numbered the actors in these two shots according to your diagram for easy reference. We'll call the first shot the "overview".

We'll call the second shot, the three-frame composite, the "panorama".

The first thing we can see is the change in placement of the actors with respect to the backdrop. The "snail track" of the saucer's approach is almost directly behind actor #1 in the overview shot. But the clouds directly above actor #1 in that shot are found instead above actor #3 in the panorama. So the camera's direction of view has changed very little between the two shots. Instead, the circle of actors has been shifted around a little more than 90??. By reference to the clouds on the backdrop, the snail track in the panorama would fall between actors #3 and #10, although it's been filled in (or not yet cleared out) for that setup. You can see from my placement of the snail track (broken lines) where it would actually be found in relation to the backdrop by alignment with the positions of the actors that it doesn't pass through the center of the saucer circle. That's due to whatever errors there are in the placement of the actors in the diagram. We would expect that, due to lack of precise information.

Now let's look at where your diagram needs adjusting. First, the shadows cast by the actors... we see in the panorama that actor #9's shadow extends all the way to #8's foot. So we'll use that as the basis for the length and angle of all the shadows. Next, we establish the location of the camera. We note in the panorama that three actors fall to the right of #9 and three to the left of #10. Actor #9 is aligned between actors #5 and #6, falling about 1/3 the distance between them, nearer to #6. So we can draw a green line through #9 to the point 1/3 the distance from #6 toward #5. For the left side, actor #10 is aligned between #3 and #4, about 1/4 the distance from #3 toward #4. We draw another green line through #10 to the noted point between #3 and #4. The camera is located where these two green lines intersect.

Now we can establish the angle of the camera's coverage. We see the right end of the panorama shot falls just behind actor #8, and cuts off his shadow at about the shoulders. So we'll draw a red line from the camera to that approximate spot on the diagram, and extend it on out. The left end of the panorama falls just behind actor #1, not quite as far as the space between him and actor #2 as seen from the camera's position. So we draw another red line for that angle. The resulting sweep is somewhat less than 90??. (By measuring the angles with CAD, I get about 82?? coverage from my layout, and about 116?? with yours.) Now you can adjust your estimation of the required length of the backdrop, Bud.

But wait... there's more.

These two shots compare the relative backdrop coverage used between an overview setup and the panorama setup.

I've lined up the cloud formations to show how much wider the coverage was in the panoramic shot than in an overview. Answer: not much. Plus, much more of the backdrop's height is shown in the overview. So there was plenty of height to spare for the panorama.

Bud Brewster wrote:
Hmmm . . .
So Bill Warren and Ted Newsom -- two noted film historians -- are wrong?

Argument from authority. Carries no weight.

Wait... Bill Warren... hmmm... He was the expert who maintained through several pages at the Monster Kid Classic Horror Forum that The Thing all took place in Alaska? Then when he had been backed into a corner with overwhelming evidence to the contrary, he backpedaled with irrelevant technical details rather than just admit he was wrong?

Bud Brewster wrote:
P.S. It just occurred to be that all that white "snow" in the area, right up to the base of the cyclorama, might have provided enough reflected sunlight to solve the lighting problem you've described.

Well, you gotta admit, it's a nice sciency idea, ain't it.
Wink

Well, nice try, anyway. The problem is that when viewed on a horizontal plane (map view), the light rays are still all parallel, whether they're coming down from a high angle or reflecting up from the "snow". So the light rays, whether direct or reflected, are still illuminating the backdrop almost directly on the right and obliquely on the left. Result: fewer lumens per square foot on the left; darker backdrop on the left.

WayneO
-----------
Brent Gair
Mission Specialist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like pie.

(I just wanted to say something that we could all agree on Smile ).
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I modified the arc of the cyclorama to fit with these changes, and what you see below just might be what was used on the set.

Just shoot me now. Rolling Eyes

Let me lay out a few guidelines for the map.

1. Outdoor backdrops in the northern hemisphere face SOUTH. This allows them the longest exposure to direct sunlight throughout the day, all year long. They are built tilted back slightly so with the sun directly overhead at noon in the summer in Southern California, they still catch direct sunlight.

2. They are built flat and they are not movable. They are massive, sturdy structures because they are VERY large and the studios don't want them blowing over. Once built, they're customarily around for decades, repainted over and over as needed to suit the requirements of the various films.

3. The saucer crash site in TTFAW used ONE backdrop. They used one backdrop because they didn't need any more than one backdrop. They didn't need a curved backdrop. The changing shadow directions are the result of shots filmed at various times of the day. Shadows pointing to the left were from the sun in the east (morning). Shadows pointing to the right were from the sun in the west (afternoon). Short shadows pointing away from the camera were from the sun overhead (noontime).

4. The backdrop used in TTFAW is the one seen here at the far end of the ranch property. (It is painted for a later movie here, and they're using only a little over half the entire width. The tower structure you can see at the left end of the backdrop is a painting tower that can be trolleyed along the backdrop so the painters can reach all parts of the backdrop. This particular tower has six levels, or stories.)

Bud Brewster wrote:
And it looks like the background painting was used twice, once during the initial discovery of the saucer when the camera is pointed in one direction, and then again for the rest of the scene when the camera is pointed in another direction -- and the direction of the sunlight is completely reversed!

The camera was always pointing in the same general direction; roughly north. The most it ever changed direction was during the pan across the actors standing over the outline of the saucer. To make it appear that it was pointing a different direction (along the slide path or perpendicular to it), they simply filled in or removed the "snow" in the gap that formed the slide path (depending on which order they filmed the shots). They would have needed to do this once. It would have been no problem to do this, as they had constructed the entire crash site anyway.

You're overthinking this setup, Bud. It was SIMPLE. It was done quick-and-dirty (quickly-and-dirtily?), as cheaply as they could get away with.

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving these pix of the RKO Movie Backlot.

I enjoy photos/videos of the studio backlots. Bought a book that covered all the studio western streets which was fun to see. Now on old westerns/tv shows I recognize which lot is being used.

Sadly, with the decline of westerns being made (a fav genre of mine), many of the western streets have been demolished.

Also purchased an excellent book covering the MGM Backlot. It was considered the finest studio backlot in its day. Demolished & gone now.

The Planet Of The Apes tv show took advantage of the tearing down of the MGM Backlot for an episode. The production company for the series got wind of the fact that they were knocking down the backlot buildings.

That made the streets look like a disaster had really struck them. This was perfect for the show which took place on a ruined earth. So amidst the real rubble of the torn down backlot, they shot an episode that really had a movie quality look to it due to the vast area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: