ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earth 2 (1994-1995)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Earth 2 (1994-1995) Reply with quote

While I never warmed up to the Earth Two show although I always appreciated the nifty design for their robot Zero.

I think the producers did Z a great disservice by how little he was utilized for the plots.

I get that they did not want to go overboard with Z & make him instrumental to all the plot lines as was done with the 'bot in Lost In Space.

However,the ET folks went too far in the other direction by barely having Z figure in any of the series episodes.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember this show, but I never watched it. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it.

Earth 2 is an American science fiction television series which aired on NBC from November 6, 1994 to June 4, 1995. The show was canceled after one season of 22 episodes. It follows the journey and settlement of a small expeditionary group called the Eden Project, with the intent to journey to an Earth-like planet called G889 in an attempt to find a cure to an illness called "the syndrome".

The series was created by Michael Duggan, Carol Flint, Mark Levin, and Billy Ray, produced by Amblin Entertainment and Universal Television, and filmed primarily in northern New Mexico around the Santa Fe area. The series' music was composed by David Bergeaud, and the executive producers were Michael Duggan, Mark Levin, and Carol Flint.

Initially, the show's audience was quite large, reaching eighth place; however, by April 23 of the next year, Nielsen ratings share had dropped from 23% to 9%. During its run, it had been nominated for a Primetime Emmy, Saturn, and other awards. In 2005, the entire series was released on DVD in a 4-disc set.

Well, dang my hide! Now I want to see this! Very Happy Here's the trailer on YouTube. It looks great. Netflix has it as a streaming video, so I've added it to my list.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The commercial DVD set has several episodes out of order.

If you watch them in the DVD set order, you will see the final episode before you get to the last episode. Also there is an episode where someone has broken their leg and in the next episode their leg is fine, but near the end of the series, that person's leg is still broken.

The set is a continuity mess. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

Here is the correct order to watch the DVD set:

01. - 02. - 03. - 04. - 05.
20. Natural Born Grendlers (actual 6th episode, not the 20th)
06. - 07. - 08. - 09. - 10.
11. - 12. - 13. - 14. - 15.
16. - 17. - 18.
21. Flower Child (actual 20th episode, next to last episode)
19. All About Eve (actual 21st episode, this is the last episode)

Last edited by Randy on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Earth 2 - 1994-1995 Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
While I never warmed up to the Earth 2 show, I always appreciated the nifty design for their robot Zero.

Pictures? We relate to visual stimulation. (Ask Bud.)

WayneO
-----------
PumamanRedux
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the by Tim Curry was in three or four episodes ...

And Clancy Brown was one of the leads
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Randy. Netflix has this series as a streaming video, and I intend watch a few (at least), so I'll sure to follow your advice. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EARTH 2 is my one and only link to the film industry, and it's a very tenuous one at that:

One weekend in 1994, I was visiting my favorite techno surplus yard in Los Alamos, widely well known as THE BLACK HOLE (its real name was Los Alamos Sales Company). It's defunct now, but up to a few years ago, it was the place to go for neat old scientific equipment, machinery, electronics, and just about anything else a scifi or science nerd could be interested in. Most of the items came from Los Alamos Labs and Sandia Labs. Check this link to see the kinds of things available there:
https://www.google.com/search?q=las+alamos+black+hole
(very strange- I googled for "los alamos black hole", but the search results, in the address bar, insist on saying "las alamos")

As I was poking around in the panoply of "stuff", I struck up a conversation with a guy who had collected together a huge pile of items for purchase and lease. He turned out to be the prop guy for the EARTH 2 series, and he was collecting props for the episodes (most of the episodes were filmed in New Mexico). If I recall correctly, he had made a pile about 5ft high and 8 or 10ft in diameter, comprised of big old hard disk drives, electronic panels, gears, and other things that somehow could be considered futuristic looking. I should have taken a picture of his props, but I didn't. However, I did notice most of those items in the first and later episodes. It wasn't a very good series, and I have never seen any repeats of the show, but if I ever do see it again, I'm sure I could point out many of those Black Hole devices.

That's it. That's my link to Hollywood- I talked to the prop guy.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you weren't kiddin'! Look at all this stuff! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Earth 2 - 1994-1995 Reply with quote

Ooohh... That looks like the kind of place where my wife would get extremely bored while I got extremely lost!

Meanwhile...

orzel-w wrote:
Pow wrote:
While I never warmed up to the Earth Two show although I always appreciated the nifty design for their robot Zero.

Pictures? We relate to visual stimulation. (Ask Bud.)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Earth 2 - 1994-1995 Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive! And pow is right, this guy is cool. Cool

___
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying the Netflix discs of this series recently with my stalwart synchro-cinema companion, Bulldogtrekker, and we're up to episode 9! Very Happy

The stories are getting a bit more complex, which might be a good thing if they don't take things too far.

Our good friend, the late Randy Everett, warned us on this thread that the DVD set presented the episodes in the wrong order, but since I'm getting the DVDs from Netflix and sharing them with Bulldogtrekker (who has acquired the complete series from his local library), we decided that watching them in the proper order would be too difficult for us.

After all, I'd have to request the disc from Netflix in a sort of goofy order. I'd need discs with episodes we were supposed to watch NEXT, even though they were on discs well ahead of those I currently had at home!

But then I'd have to send those disc back, even though they contained episodes we hadn't watched yet, because we hadn't reached that point in the series!

Bulldogtrekker and I finally agreed to watch them all in the order they were presented on the screwed-up DVDs, without regard to how they were supposed to be viewed.

It sucks, but hey . . . we're stuck with it. Rolling Eyes

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nifty gizmo they had on EII was the mechanical glove that the doctor used to diagnose patients.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Another nifty gizmo they had on EII was the mechanical glove that the doctor used to diagnose patients.

Indeed yes! I found two nice photos of Jessica Steen which display both the devices she frequently uses, and I put them together in this nice double portrait. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bud, these are terrific pictures of the medical diagnostic glove, the communication devices, as well as the lovely doctor.

Like I said, I never got into the series even though I did watch the entire season. Fine cast, but the stories just didn't seemed to gel together in to anything substantial for me.

Liked Jessica's other sci-fi TV series,Captain Power & the Soldiers of the Future better than EII.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldogtrekker and I recently decided that we felt the same way, so we stopped watching the series. It just didn't gel for use either.

Oh well . . . Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: