ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could we light our streets with glow-in-the-dark trees?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Could we light our streets with glow-in-the-dark trees? Reply with quote

Could we light our streets with glow-in-the-dark trees?
By Rachel Kaufman, Urbanful

Glow-in-the-dark trees? It seems like a crazy idea from the future, but remember, we're only a year away from hoverboards, according to Back to the Future II. So why not?

That's what Dutch designer Daan Roosegaarde asks as he uses glowing proteins from jellyfish to create plants that glow in the dark. Made large, into trees, they could light our way without electricity.

"I mean, come on, it will be incredibly fascinating to have these energy-neutral but at the same time incredibly poetic landscapes," he tells IFL Science.

Roosegaarde and Alexander Krichevsky of SUNY Stony Brook said they're thinking about taking these particular plants, which live for two to three months, and stacking them or otherwise combining them together to make them look like glowing trees......

yes, i know the photo is fake

LINK:
http://urbanful.org/2014/09/18/could-we-light-our-streets-with-glow-in-the-dark-trees/

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly I have an urge to watch Avatar!

larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think glowing trees and bushes would be a good development for urban areas. It would reduce energy budgets, and force more plant life into them.
Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: