ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Randy Everett has suffered a stroke
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Randy Everett has suffered a stroke Reply with quote

I regret to inform the members of All Sci-Fi that Randy Everett suffered a stroke about two weeks ago, and his wife informed me that he'll be in a nursing home for an undetermined length of time while he undergoes physical therapy.

Randy can't move his right side, and he has difficulty speaking.

Please keep Randy and his family in your prayers.

Bud

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pye-rate, Eadie, and myself will pray for him and we KNOW that things WILL turn out all right.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no... One of my favorite members here.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Sci-Fi is located on the server that Randy owns, which is located on a "server farm" in Kansas City. If he or his family decide not to maintain that server and continue with the expense required for its maintenance, All Sci-Fi will cease to exist.

I asked Randy's wife to have their son call me so we could discuss the matter. Randy's son was instrumental in helping Randy restore All Sci-Fi when their old server malfunctioned several months ago.

I'll keep you posted on Randy's condition and the above matter as soon as I learn anything new.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all help Randy recover!

Please read the urgent plea at the link below and help Randy recover from his recent health problems. I know he and his family will appreciate it.

Click on this link and start doing your part to help our friend.

http://www.allsci-fi.us/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3402

Sean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Thank you all Reply with quote

I would like to say thank you all for your support for my fathers well-being.

For an update, he seems to be recovering well to what I have witnessed. He's been quite chatty the last couple of days, more so than I've seen since the incident. He's still struggling to get out what he wants to say, but puts forth a valiant effort, and he knows exactly when his speech wanders and gets quite frustrated that he can't relay what he wishes to say.

He's no longer in ICU, no longer in ICU step-down, he has finally been released to a local nursing home where he will be undergoing physical, occupational and speech therapy! He's on the road to recovery, hopefully with time and patience he will be back to his former self.

On the note of the server, It's hard to juggle everything he maintains, but I managed to find some billing information for the hosting provider, and I can say that it is current up until October 30th of this year, so there should be no conflicts for at least 4 months yet. I haven't figured out about each individual domain he has from various NIC's and their billing cycle, so I don't know about the domains like allsci-fi.us but I'll keep digging. If memory serves me, they're renewed annually so the domain(s) should be good.

I wasn't sure about a lot of his logins, even here on the forums, so I had to manually insert my own account into the mysql database, so forgive me if I didn't get all the fields quite right, which is reflected by my timestamp of the date joined.

I plan to keep all of his domains up and going, awaiting his return to step back in right where he left off, and I will try to find time to keep you all informed of his progress, again thank you all very much! Smile
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, the news about Randy's progress is like a gift from heaven! Thank you so much for letting us know that our good friend (and the indispensable technical guru for All Sci-Fi) is recovering from this terrible situation.

My own father suffered a stroke years ago, and I was so sadden by the change it made in his mental abilities. But he, like Randy, eventually made his way back to his old self, to the great delight of my entire family.

Please tell Randy we miss him TERRIBLY and we look forward to his return. He is a very kind and generous person, and I'm so glad he has such a loving and supportive family during these difficult times.

And of course, everyone here is immensely grateful to you for "keeping the lights on" at All Sci-Fi. We've formed friendships here, and we use this place as our creative outlet in so many ways. We'd all be devastated if it ceased to exist.

I should mention, of course, that this is the second time you've been instrumental in saving All Sci-Fi from disaster. You have our eternal gratitude for that.

Please keep us updated on Randy's condition. Regardless of what happens to this humble little message board, Randy's health and happiness is what really matters. Very Happy

Bud

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud's comments reflect my sentiments as well, Sean. I'm glad to hear of Randy's progress in recovery and extend my thanks for your efforts at keeping things going.

WayneO
-----------
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got a chance to browse the forums before. There's some amazing stuff here, especially your artwork, Bud!

I was going to use this quick sketch I did here recently with some FAT sidewalk chalk as an avitar. Talk about something difficult to work with like your water colors, fine detail is a no-go with such a thick piece of chalk. Unfortunately resizing the image to fit the requirements of no more than 155 pixels in either direction didn't stay visible to make it out, so instead I'll share as an image here Smile

Hope to see more artwork, and maybe some day I'll get shading down to where I can be more photo-realistic instead of cartoonish Smile

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
Unfortunately resizing the image to fit the requirements of no more than 155 pixels in either direction didn't stay visible to make it out, so instead I'll share as an image here Smile

Will either of these work for you, Sean?

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Everett sent me a PM to update me on our friend Randy's condition. He said that speech was still difficult for Randy, but he was getting around the nursing home really well in a wheel chair.

Physical therapy to improve his manual dexterity is keeping him pretty busy, and Randy's family is looking forward to seeing him make daily progess. Very Happy

I'd like to again urge the members of All Sci-Fi to provide interesting replies to some of Randy's 140 posts, so that he'll know he's in our thoughts whenever he visits us during his recovery.

We must not forget that All Sci-Fi wouldn't exist without Randy Everett!
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take time. My older brother had a stroke about 1 1/3 years ago. He has now recovered with only a slight slurring to his speech. My brother just turned 78.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Sci-Fi was down for a few minutes today, and I got worried that Randy's family had decided to stop supporting our board! Shocked

But it came back within minutes, and I was very relieved.

So, I called Vickie Everett and left a message saying that we appreciated her continued support on behalf of All Sci-Fi, and telling her that if she ever needed to contact me, she could call me at the number I left on the message.

Hopefully All Sci-Fi will continue to exist, either because the Everett family allows it to do so, or because they permit me to take over the responsibility of maintaining the site and the server it is hosted by.

Bud

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickie Everett, Randy's wife, has informed me that Randy recently suffered a second stroke and is now on life support. The family has made the decision to take him off life support, and he is not expected to survive long after that.

Following up on previous discussions, Mrs. Everett and I talked about the possibility of allowing me to take over the responsibility of maintaining the server Randy used to support All Sci-Fi and several other web sites he has supported for years.

Mrs. Everett has asked me to be patient until after the terrible ordeal her family is facing is behind them before she makes a final decision about this.

I have confidence that she and her son Sean will make every effort to place the future survival of All Sci-Fi in my hands by making me the person responsible for the server which hosts our website.

Randy was a wonderful man, respected by all who knew him, and his dedication to All Sci-Fi made it possible for this board to continue its existence over the last three years. He will be missed by his beloved family and his loyal friends on the message board he has supported so faithfully.

Please feel free to express your feelings about this unfortunate situation on this thread. I'm sure the Everetts will appreciate your kind remarks about the man who kept this board going when it collapsed three years ago, and again when his personal server (which hosts it) crashed last year.

Bud

MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, bud, I'm so sorry. I know he's your friend. My mom had loads of health problems, and she said that if it came down to it, she didn't want to be kept alive on a machine.

I didn't have to make that decision (she died in her sleep), so I can only imagine what his family is going through.
Still, remember he had a full life, and judging by this site, he had a lot of friends, you included.

If you need a virtual shoulder to cry on, I'm availiable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: