ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meteor (1979)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Meteor (1979) Reply with quote

If a great cast guaranteed a great movie, the DVD for this one would be in everybody's rack. Sadly, a movie's cast and a movie's quality are apples and oranges, and this film didn't turn out to be the bountiful fruit basket the producers hoped for.

Consider the list of luminaries in this disaster movie — a phrase that describes both the genre and the film's financial success. Sean Connery, Natalie Wood, Karl Malden, Brian Keith, Martin Landau, Trevor Howard, Henry Fonda, and lots of other familiar names. They tried to get Queen Elizabeth and Pope John Paul II, but there were scheduling conflicts. Sad

The problem with making a movie like this is that it cries out for lots and lots of awesome special effects showing death, destruction, and carnage. In the modern world of CGI-happy directors, stuff like that is a walk in the park. But back in the Carter era, you could throw large wads of cash at a problem like that and still get FX that looked like exploding doll houses and dangling puppet shows.

The budget was $16 million, but only made $8 milllion — which would be a nice profit if it wasn't also the same amount the movie lacked in breaking even.

Armageddon tried this idea again with a less serious tone (a bit too "less serious"), and Deep Impact tried it with pretty much the same tone as this one. It was moderately successful.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've ever seen this one, and YouTube has several versions of it — which means I could probably find even better versions of it through sources like Vidzi.tv.

If you haven't seen it, or you like it but haven't seen it in a long time, here's your chance! Very Happy

___________________ Meteor (1979) - Trailer

_________

________________________ Meteor (1979)

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this one yesterday, and it's so damn bad, AIP studios deserved to go bankrupt for making this abysmal piece of crap. It's THAT bad!

Do not waste your time, guys. Sad

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke and Mirrors by Mark D. Wolf.

---yet another misfire by A.I.P. Trying to up their game as a "big" studio, all they succeeded in doing was making the star-studded cast look lost among anemic visual effects---which included recycling disaster footage from Avalanche (1978). The menacing meteor was a chunk of volcanic rock from Hawaii.

Sidebar: Well, there's the problem right there. Tourists aren't supposed to collect volcanic rocks in Hawaii and take 'em back home. You'll be cursed if you do.

This one looked like A.I.P. put more bucks into the production than their other "B" films by a longshot.

But it wasn't enough.

I particularly recall seeing the film in the theater and being shocked at how poorly the space platforms were that held U.S. & U.S.S.R. missiles.

Looked like it was from a hobby shop...and not a good one. Natalie looked beautiful as ever and got to speak Russian, which she could in real life. I read that she loathed making The Great Race epic comedy movie; I'm thinking after making Meteor she might have reconsidered The Great Race as her unhappiest experience.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Natalie looked beautiful as ever and got to speak Russian, which she could in real life. I read that she loathed making The Great Race epic comedy movie; I'm thinking after making Meteor she might have reconsidered The Great Race as her unhappiest experience.

I was amazed to learn that Natalie did like making The Great Race. She was so good in it! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: