ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Captain America: Civil War (2016) Reply with quote

For some reason, Britain got the new Marvel movie a week ahead of the US release date, so I can report that it's pretty good; it's well-made, and knows what to do to keep us happy.

At 147 minutes it's quite long, but it has a lot to fit in. It's the sequel to "Winter Soldier" of course, and the next Avengers movie; it features the start of the narrative for the Black Panther, and it's a reboot for Spider-Man to lead into his next movie.

And there's plenty of Iron Man. Like the recent Supes vs Bats potboiler, the collateral damage from past missions is a major plot motivator, but this time it's done right. Hawkeye may be a little late in joining the team, and Thor is presumably home chilling out in Asgard, while quite sensibly everyone decides that, given the current sensitivity to massive property damage, there's no point in getting Bruce Banner involved... but that still leaves plenty of people to feature.

It's fun seeing Tony Stark making a house call to recruit Spider-Man to his team, and flirting with his sensibly young aunt - why should a teenager's aunt be over seventy, anyway?

The big battle everyone has been talking about at the airport is well worth the wait, especially when [redacted] attempts to [redacted], something he's only tried once before apparently, and dials everything up a few notches.

Vision and Scarlet Witch may be on different sides, but there's obvious chemistry in their scenes together. I'm not sure why Martin "Frodo" Freeman has a small and unmemorable part in the movie . . . but Stan the Man is on hand just before the final credits, to deliver a pizza to "Mister Tony Stank," so all is well on that front.

The mid-credits sequence is similar to the small final scene a lot of tv shows have, with Cap, Bucky, and T'Challa - it also gives a slight teaser of what Wakanda is going to be like in that particular movie.

And, just as the lights come up and the last of the patrons head out of the door, we revisit Peter Parker and Aunt May, to remind us of our new webslinger's upcoming cinematic adventure, Spider-Man: Homecoming, due in 2017.

My local cinema wasn't as full for this as it was for Deadpool, but I'm sure that Marvel Studios have another hit on their hands. And it's only a couple of weeks to the new X-Men adventure, with Doctor Strange due later this year... good times for people who enjoy this type of movie! Very Happy
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Frankly, Custer, I'm Hulk-green with envy because you've gotten to see this before we have over here in the colonies, and for that reason the only thing I can add to your most excellent thread-starting post is a trailer.

Or two.

Oh hell, make it three . . .
Cool

_Captain America: Civil War Official Trailer #1

_ Marvel's Captain America: Civil War - Trailer 2

_ Captain America 3 Civil War NEW Trailer Spots

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gratifying to know that this fine movie was appreciated by the public -- to the tune of more than a billion dollars, according to Wikipedia! Shocked

Budget -- $250 million
Box office -- $1.153 billion

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first saw this one from a download several months ago and loved it. Recently I bought the DVD. It had been long enough since my first viewing for me to be surprised by the plot and all it’s great action.

Good movies can do that. Ergo, this is a good movie. Very Happy

The slam-bang opening is flawless. The FX are eye-popping. The good-guy characters are heroes we desperately wish the world had today.

Unfortunately, the bad guys are actually no worse than the sick bastards who terrorize our world today! That’s a sad thought. That’s a very sad thought . . .

Movies like this show us what ought to be happening in the world today — when evil men do bad things to good people, and super-good people swoop in to kick their asses to kingdom come.

We definitely have the evil men — like Kim Jong Un, who vows to nuke America just for the fun of it. But we’re sadly lacking in super-heroes who can swoop in and kick that fat little bastard’s pudgy ass.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture for the third trailer reminds me that the Black Panther was involved. His own movie has been out for about a week now, and has had great reviews. I did go along to the local cinema one afternoon this week - only to be told that every seat for the early afternoon showing had been sold, which is highly unusual. I'll be trying again in a few days; I see that our Vue cinema has increased its daily Black Panther ration from 13 to 14, and this time I'll try getting my ticket before I do some local shopping, rather than at about a quarter of an hour before the showing (or its ads) starts...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 204 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The day before filming a fight scene with Robert Downey Jr., Sebastian Stan sent him a video of himself doing intense bicep curls in front of the decapitated head of an Iron Man suit. He attached the message, "Looking forward to our scene tomorrow, Robert".

Note from me: Hollywood can be a tough town! Shocked

~ T'Challa had a much smaller role in the earlier drafts and did not even appear in costume, as the writers intended to put more focus on Spider-Man, and save Black Panther's origin for his own movie. However, when it looked like Marvel would not be getting permission to use Spider-Man, Black Panther's role was beefed up significantly. By the time they did get to use Spider-Man, T'Challa had already become so integral to the plot, that they decided to leave his role as it was, and give Spider-Man a smaller part.

Note from me: On the other hand, Hollywood is a crazy town, with lawyers pulling strings that make producers dance around like Howdy Dowdy!

~ Tom Holland commented on how intimidated he was when he came to screentest for Spider-Man, saying that Robert Downey Jr. took him aside and said, "Listen, I remember my screentest for Iron Man. I remember how terrified I was. Just think of it as an audition. It's nothing too scary. If you get it wrong, we'll just start again. No pressure."

Note from me: Robert seems like a nice guy. I'm glad that his likability isn't just skilled acting.

~ (At around one hour and nineteen minutes) Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) remarks how attractive Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) is. Downey and Tomei had a relationship in the 1990s, and appeared in two other films together: Chaplin (1992) and Only You (1994).

Note from me: Miss Tomei is adorable in [i]My Cousin Vinny". Shocked

~ (At around one hour and nineteen minutes) Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) remarks how attractive Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) is. Downey and Tomei had a relationship in the 1990s, and appeared in two other films together: Chaplin (1992) and Only You (1994).

Note from me: Aunt May has gone from a white-haired old lady to a smokin' hot babe! Who will play her next . . . Scarlett Johansson? Rolling Eyes

~ Marisa Tomei was in her fifties when portraying Aunt May, in contrast to Rosemary Harris being in her seventies in Spider-Man (2002) and Sally Field in her sixties in The Amazing Spider-Man (2012).

Note from me: Ah-ha! The pattern is clear and the countdown is on! Scarlett Johansson is thirty-five. She's next. Laughing

~ Tom Holland is the youngest person to portray Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man, on-screen, at nineteen years old.

Note from me: He certainly looks the right age for Peter Parker, who is a high school student and (in the comics) very slender.

~ Robert Downey Jr. acted as the younger Tony Stark, along with John Slattery and Hope Davis. Lola FX provided the "de-aging" visual effects on the face and hair of Downey with footage and photos of his early career as references.

Note from me: I'm glad the technology exists to do this. Hollywood is notoriously bad at casting young actors to appear in flashbacks of the starring characters. Accepting the young actors always requires a great deal of "suspension of disbelief".

~ In the Civil War comic book series, Tony Stark builds Spider-Man an "Iron Spider" suit. It's red and gold, and laden with armor and gadgets. In this film, Spider-Man receives a suit in his normal red and blue cloth attire, but it does have gadgets.

Note from me: The Civil War comics came long after I entered the Air Force (1967 to 1971), so I was unaware that Spider-Man's hi-tech upgrade from Stark wasn't something the movies came up with.

~ Marisa Tomei is the third Oscar-nominated actress to play Aunt May. Rosemary Harris is an Oscar nominee, and Sally Field is an Oscar winner (Tomei won an Oscar as well).

Note from me: In my opinion, the only actress who played Aunt May who should have won an Oscar is Rosemary Harris. She was both awesome and perfect for the role.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been binge watching the Marvel movies from the DVR recordings provided by TNT recently (even though I own most of them on DVDs and BDs), and this one is admireable for addressesing the genre in a very serious way.

When I was kid who loved superheroes and the comic books that presented their stories, society-at-large thought young people like me were wasting our time with these silly magazines.

My goodness, how times have changed.

The movie industry now racks in billions each year by making movies about the superheroes we adored when we were young.

Just to put things into perspective, the issue of Amazing Tales #15: Inducing Spider-Man — which was part my footlocker filled with Marvel comics that I sold at the ComiCon in Atlanta back in the late 1980s for a whooping $800 — recently sold at a New York auction for over $3,000,000. Sad

As I said before . . . my goodness, how times have changed. :Rolling Eyes

Well, at least I still have the panels of original Johnny Comet artwork I bought fpr $25 each from Frank Frazetta at the 1967 World Science Fiction Convention in 1967.

They seem to be going for over $5,000 a piece now. But since I don't really need the money right now, I'll just leave these to my kids . . . since I practically gave away $3,000,000 back in the 1980s! Shocked

Gee, I hope my own humble artwork will be worth something eventually. But the best thing I've got to offer is nice oil painting of my disagreeable ex-wife. Rolling Eyes

~ The Space Children (1958)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: