ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) Reply with quote

My big beef about computers is that they are so literal minded. Colossus - Guardian - Unity had better watch out!

(Shouldn't Larry Foster have put something here since he's such a big fan?)
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Eadie... I don't feel quite right about introducing a movie - where my fan-ism of it is based in concepts 'beyond' the movie's original intent. I would feel hypocritical, because I can't appreciate the work just as it was made and intended.

I would prefer to leave introductions to others who stick to its original intent, and then offer my alternative creative concepts to that. I could not do an introduction justly, because I have an ulterior motivation for liking the movie.

I was also unsure if Randy and Bud may yet restore to old-board "Colossus: The Forbin Project" message thread.

Otherwise... I offer these links as 'original concept' introductions:

At IMDB.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ql_stry_2

At Wikipedia.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus:_The_Forbin_Project

Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Colossus The Forbin Project (1970) Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
My big beef about computers is that they are so literal minded.

...and your statement compels me to state: my 'admiration' of computers is that they are so 'logic' minded. Wink
Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the logical answers depend upon the postulates you start with.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, true. And...

One who does not postulate a question correctly... should not expect a correct answer.

I think Buddha said something like that. Or perhaps it was Mr. Spock. Wink

Anyway... I don't think that logic-limitation would apply to a true artificial intelligence. I would expect it to establish the proper postulates to a problem, by querying the user before the processing began.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Larry, but even if the original All Sci-Fi suddenly reappeared in all it's radiant glory, neither Randy nor I have the ability to restore (transfer) any thread from there to here.

The best any of us could do, if the old board ever resurfaced, would be to copy our individual posts and then re-post them here. Since many of the posts were replies to the comments which preceded them on each thread, they wouldn't make much sense without the ones to which they were replies.

But in the case of your Colossus posts, that would actually work, because they presented original concepts.

So, if you ever discover that the original All Sci-Fi has miraculously escaped from the Phantom Zone, start copying your posts as fast as you can and putting them here on The New All Sci-Fi before the old one vanishes back into the void, because we ain't goin' back to that tectonically unstable region, no matter what!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, the way things are going in the world these days I'm wondering if ol' Colossus would do any worse if we let 'em run things?
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Larry Foster:

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Eadie for these fabulous pictures to a fabulous film.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed, this is quite a movie. Those initial scenes of the massive computer, buried in the mountain, certainly win the hearts of sci-fi enthusiast.

__

Some of the best scenes were those shots of the flashing computer monitors while Colossus and Guardian got acquainted ("So, Guardian, tell me little about Mother Russian. I hear Russian girls are very user friendly. Is that true?")

The sets are wonderful, and the scenes of people looking up at that big ceiling-mounted message display are impressive.

__

Eric Braeden is very believable as the brilliant scientist who designed Colossus (and lived to regret it.)

__

That metallic voice they used is chilling and wonderful and quite original back in 1970. It's become the accepted sound for any cold, evil computer that wants to enslave mankind by turning our own weapons against us.

__

I like to think mankind will eventually win out -- but even if we did manage to deactivate all the weaponry Colossus controlled (thereby neutralizing the threat it posed) we wouldn't be able to shut Colossus down, because it was so well protected inside the mountain.

So, the poor toothless computer would have ended up all alone in the dark . . . friendless, helpless, and desperately hoping Microsoft would let it download Windows 10 before the free upgrade expired.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am; edited 3 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

You would think that they would have cleaned up around the entrance. Maybe lay down a concrete apron so the construction crew wouldn't be tracking sand and stones all through the super computer. Surely, they would have cleared all of the large rocks, and stones from the entrance? It must have been pretty rough driving for all those cars.

There was an episode of "Warehouse 13", where they showed the warehouse computer room. The set pieces really looked like the ones in CTFP, computer panels, vid phones as computer monitors. I really wonder if they found the props somewhere.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Those initial scenes of the massive computer, buried in the mountain, certainly win the hearts of sci-fi enthusiast.

With today's technology it would all fit in a shoebox.

"I am COLOSSUS. Obey me."

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, Krel! I never thought of that, but what you said make perfect sense.

Hey, maybe this is just the back door . . . Rolling Eyes

Note to Wayne: Do you have any idea how hard it is to type while laughing? I mean, damn . . . I almost made a few typos!
Shocked
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this movie last night with SciBurning and Bulldogtrekker. We decided to change the Friday Live Chat movie because nobody else showed up.

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you fans of COLOSSUS:THE FORBIN PROJECT: Have you been cursing the fact that it hasn't been released in wide screen in the US? If so, you might be interested to know that there is available a beautiful 1080p HD mp4 rip of the foreign BluRay release, in original 2.3:1 wide screen format. The difference between the widescreen and the cropped version is impressive. It's like watching a different movie. (Yes, the soundtrack is English).

For comparison of the wide vs full screen image, look at Eadie's 3rd photo, above. Now look at the message after Eadie's, from Bud. His screen grab of the same scene is in full screen format. The "COLOSSUS" control panel seen on the left side of Eadie's wide screen image has been completely cropped out of the full screen version.

The download torrent is available at
http://www.yify-movies.net/movies/colossus-the-forbin-project-1970-yify-1080p.html

Because this is a torrent download, you will also need to have installed a torrent download program like BitTorrent or MicroTorrent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: