ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idaho Transfer (1973)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Acula
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Idaho Transfer (1973) Reply with quote

I just ordered a cut-rate DVD of this Peter Fonda-directed sci-fi flick. I've heard about it for years, and I hope that it lives up to it's reputation as an interesting sci-fi flick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_Transfer

Quote:
Teenager Karen Braden (Kelley Bohanon) is a troubled mental hospital outpatient who is taken by her father George and sister Isa to a government facility near the Craters of the Moon lava fields in Idaho. The project there was commissioned to develop matter transference, but made a different discovery: time travel. They also discovered that a mysterious ecological catastrophe will soon wipe out civilization.

The time travel process has negative health effects, though. Adults "not much older than 20" are unable to survive for long, as their kidneys hemorrhage shortly after the experience. So the scientists decide to only send young people 56 years into the future so they can build a new civilization.

After the government takes over the project, the transfer machines are turned off, trapping a large number of project members in the future. Now trapped, they begin exploring the future world.

Here is what I believe to be the opening credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OuQlDwg5ic
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And IMDB trivia has this:

The film was released theatrically in 1973 for only a limited time, as the distributor - Cinemation - went bankrupt during the first week the film was released. Only in 1988 did the film resurface on video, through MPI Home Video. Only this version has Peter Fonda's opening remarks about the environment. Subsequent DVD releases do not include this.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: idaho transfer Reply with quote

It was also covered by MST3K.
Dr Acula
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a MST3K fan myself, but I'm not surprised they hassled the film - it appears to be more on the unique side, which isn't going to be for all audiences. It's supposed to arrive Friday, so if I watch it this weekend I'll let the board know what I think.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Acula wrote:
I'm not a MST3K fan myself, but I'm not surprised they hassled the film - it appears to be more on the unique side, which isn't going to be for all audiences. It's supposed to arrive Friday, so if I watch it this weekend I'll let the board know what I think.

And I've got the download to watch in the near future, so I'll be able to talk intelligently about it.

Wait, there might be something else I'll need to do that. Intelligence. Maybe I could download some of that, too! Very Happy
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with your intelligence. It is that some movies have a subliminal soundtrack that induces stupidity. It mostly works on the film makers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: