ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charly (1968)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Charly (1968) Reply with quote

Cliff Robertson gives a stand-out performance as Charly Gordon, a 30-year-old mentally impaired man who undergoes an experimental operation designed to increase his intelligence.

The story follows Robertson's progressive mental development, along with the corresponding emotional development which accompanies his new-found ability to understand the world around him.

Claire Bloom is excellent as Robertson's school teacher and the woman who becomes the focus of Robertson's long-delayed sexual awareness. Robertson's intelligence increases until he becomes a genius, but an unsuspected aspect of the experimental operation gives the plot a tragic twist.

The story is based on Daniel Keyes' short story Flowers for Algernon, which was later expanded to novel length. Both the literary and film versions are enormously touching, funny, and thought-provoking. The script by Sterling Silliphant is pure gold. Expertly directed by Ralph Nelson.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this in the theater when it was brand new and liked it a lot. I did think that Cliff Robertson's performance, Oscar or not, was just a mite overcooked.

I found him easy to believe as a genius, but his un-intelligent scenes were a little too precious for me.

Still a very good movie.

But. . . I tried showing it to my sons when they were young and they would have none of it. I don't think we got five minutes into the thing before I caved to their fervent demands that I turn it off.

Their complaints had nothing to do with story or performance. It was purely the look of the film that enraged them. My older son said it had that "70s look" (although, of course, it's actually a little older than that.) I knew what he meant. It's that gauzy, soft focus, desaturated colors thing, at least in part. He was right, it is a look shared by many movies of that period. It doesn't bother me. Matter of fact, it's kind of nostalgic for me. But for my sons, it was unpalatable.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my scan of the cover of the April 1959 issue of F&SF, where the story first appeared. The cover artwork, by Emsh, is for the story of course, though since Daniel Keyes was a comparatively new writer, his name isn't visible.

The short novelet "Flowers for Algernon" does lead off the issue. Let me quote the introduction by editor Robert P. Mills.

"Homo Superior has appeared in science fiction rather more frequently than Homo Inferior - which is hardly surprising in a field devoted to extrapolation. Daniel Keyes, who has been a seaman, briefly a science fiction editor, and an English teacher, proves himself a Writer Superior in the following poignant and curiously suspenseful story of Charlie Gordon,who has an I.Q. of 68, and a tremendous will to triple it."

This was the writer's fifth published story — he'd had "The Trouble With Elmo" in Galaxy the previous year, and three stories published in 1952. It made quite a stir, winning the Hugo for Best Short Fiction in 1960. The longer version was nominated for the Hugo for Best Novel in 1967 (losing out to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein), and won that year's Nebula, beating books by Asimov, Niven, Zelazny, Farmer, Pohl, Vance, Herbert, Niven, Anderson, and more . . . a strong year!
Krel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this at the show, I was nine, or ten at the time. I have absolutely no idea as to what made me want to see this movie at that age. Even stranger, I remember liking the movie. Laughing

A few years later, in school, I read "Flowers For Algernon" in one of those digest they used to handout in school. It was a surprise when I recognized it as the movie I had seen a few years before.

David.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice - I wonder if the digest you read was Stories from Science Fiction?

With Brian Aldiss, J.G. Ballard, H.G. Wells, Algis Budrys, Harry Harrison, Arthur C. Clarke, John Wyndham, Ray Bradbury, Robert Sheckley, and Fredric Brown on board, it's an impressive line-up! That does seem to be a British publication, though perhaps there were other editions - over on the US side Stories of Suspense might qualify..
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how many bulletin boards I've posted this on thru the years but I would give my eye teeth to view The Two Worlds of Charlie Gordon, starring Cliff Robertson (the TV adaptation).

BTW, Charly is a fav tho' it comes across as dated in places.

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Two Worlds of Charlie Gordon" can be found on YouTube at https://youtu.be/0DfrzQ2Z8vY .

It's an hour long.

Steve Joyce wrote:
Don't know how many bulletin boards I've posted this on thru the years but I would give my eye teeth to view The Two Worlds of Charlie Gordon, starring Cliff Robertson (the TV adaptation).

BTW, Charly is a fav tho' it comes across as dated in places.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Robertson played the main character in the TV version, "The Two Worlds of Charlie Gordon," which was apparently nominated for the Hugo Award for best dramatic presentation, in 1961, and returned seven years later for the movie version, which won him the Academy Award for Best Actor. His return was no coincidence - frustrated at the progress of his career, Wikipedia says, Robertson had optioned the rights to the TV play he had appeared in. He hired William Goldman to write a script.

He had quite a career - Wikipedia notes that "His last well-known film appearances were from 2002–2007 as Uncle Ben in the Spider-Man film trilogy."
Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Robertson was one of the first, if not the first to fight the studios creative accounting practices on paying the actors profit sharing. This put a huge roadblock on his career.

David.
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Robertson won the Oscar for his role as the title character — a mentally retarded man who undergoes a new experimental procedure which transforms him over the course of several weeks into a genius.

The reason that Robertson won is obvious: he essentially plays two different characters in this film and the differences are staggering. It's also startling to see such two opposites in one film. He depicts the gradual change in Charly as he becomes smarter.

This is not some lurid sci-fi/horror film (a la Frankenstein) or even very much of a sci-fi story, it's more of a psychological study of the human condition through the prism of such a radical metamorphosis — the change is in the mind, not the body. The sci-fi element is this miracle treatment, yes, but it's merely the catalyst for most of the story.

_____________________ Charly (1968) clip

The most interesting scenes are when Charly begins to get smarter. Most of the stuff before and after is kind of dull, including his eventual romance with Claire Bloom's character (his doctor/psychiatrist), though there is always something of interest.

The film also relies way too much on that multiple-screen-images technique so prevalent in the late sixties in film. There's a montage when he runs off to find himself, joins a motorcycle gang and becomes a swinger. It's brief and comes off as silly — it should have conveyed a long stretch of time, but it fails.

There is, however, a riveting scene near the end when Charly is presented on stage to a large group of scientists. The main thing about this film is that it causes a viewer to think things over afterwards.

BoG's Score: 7.5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Sun May 19, 2019 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also a TV~movie done that was pretty decent as I recall.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wiki & IMDB.

Cliff Robertson was frustrated at seeing roles that he performed in for television anthology shows, such as "The Days of Wine and Roses," be adapted for films with different actors cast in the lead role.

To that end, after Robertson first played Charley Gordon on the U.S. Steel Hour's anthology series "The Two Worlds of Charlie Gordon," he purchased the rights of the novel to make into a film with himself as Charlie.

Robertson hired William Goldman to write the screenplay on the strength of Goldman's script for the film "No Way to Treat a Lady." Cliff payed Goldman $30,000 out of his own pocket. Coincidentally, that movie starred Rod Steiger, who was married to Claire Bloom.

Cliff was unhappy with Goldman's screenplay, he then hired Stirling Silliphant to write a draft.

Robertson received only $25,000 for his role.

Before Charly gains his intelligence, he writes left handed---once he becomes brilliant, he write's with his right hand.

The movie was a critical and box office success.

The project was done again for television in 2000 as "Flowers for Algernon," starring Matthew Modine as Charlie Gordon.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia gives a summation of the Daniel Keyes' novel. Here are some things not dealt with in the film.

When Charly gains his high intelligence, he begins to recall that his mother, Rose, physically abused him and wasted money on fake treatments for Charly.

His younger sister, Norma, resented him.

His father abandoned the family years ago.

Charly attempts to get closure with his family before his intelligence fades away.

Rose has dementia and only recognizes him briefly. She is being cared for by Norma in their recently depressed neighborhood.

Charly's father doesn't know him at all after so many years.

Unable to bear becoming dependent and pitied by his friends as his new high I.Q. begins to regress, Charly decides to live at the Warren State Home and Training School. No one there knows anything at all about his surgical operation.

He requests that someone from his past place flowers at Algernon's grave in the backyard of his former residence. -----------------------------------------------------------
Note: Whew! No wonder they did not include all of this depressing and heartbreaking stuff in Charly's life in the film.

Firstly, it would have taken up too much time from the central story.

Secondly, the film already has a sad ending to it. Packing in all of his dysfunctional family history could only make it worse.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Note: Whew! No wonder they did not include all of this depressing and heartbreaking stuff in Charly's life in the film.

Firstly, it would have taken up too much time from the central story.

Secondly, the film already has a sad ending to it. Packing in all of his dysfunctional family history could only make it worse.

I totally agree.

We get a healthy dose of tragedy just watching the brave and determined Charly deal with his low intelligence and his difficulty getting along in the world.

There is one brief scene when Claire Bloom asks Charly if he remembers this mother, and he says he remembers her placing her hand on his forehead and saying, "He's burning up."

The implication is that he had a virus as a child, and a high fever damaged his brain.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the movie, but I've never seen the TV version.

U.S. Steel Hour: "The Two Worlds of Charlie Gordon" (2/22/1961)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: