ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
That outfit would have made her look like a cross between a 1940s femme fatale and a medieval wizard.

Welcome to the fashion world of the 1940s to early 1950s. It depended upon the tastes of the , then, designers; NOT what we like or understand today — tomorrow.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen, just to demonstrate the kind of fun you can have with our newly installed MULTI-BOARD ALPHABETICAL INDEX, I clicked on the thread called FORBIDDEN PLANET Behind the Scenes! @ Nautilus Submarine (under the Forbidden Planet title at the bottom of Section 12) and found a thread with the amazing behind-the-scenes pictures of the sets shown at the bottom of this post!

And now I'm turning those pictures into a new post for All Sci-Fi!

Wow! Shocked

See how easy it is to go to these other fine message boards, learn new and interesting things, and then share them here! Very Happy

Message boards are on the decline because so few of them bother to organize their data the way All Sci-Fi does, with alphabetical indexes which help their members find existing threads!

I've spent YEARS created the indexes here on All Sci-Fi and on other boards like the Science Fiction Message Board and the Classic Horror Film Board, helping them organize their threads for the benefit of their members.

Both the site admins and the members of those boards were extremely grateful, and they thanked me profusely. Very Happy

Now I'm restoring and updating the MULTI-BOARD ALPHABETICAL INDEX and taking this concept to the next level, giving the members of several popular sites the ability find new material on various boards and share it with the other boards they belong too!

People, I'm fighting against the stupid attitudes of other message boards who resent anyone who posts messages which encourage their members to join boards other their own! That self-destructive practice is part of the reason message boards are now dwindling all over the web! Shocked

Please take the time to brows through our MULTI-BOARD ALPHABETICAL INDEX and discover things like the great pictures below for yourself!

And yes, I know you have to join Nautilus Submarine to view their posts. So . . . for God's sake, just join the damn thing, people! What the hell are you waiting for? Shocked

Krel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud there is something odd about the 2nd lab photo, the 6th one down. On the right side of the photo you can see Ann Francis, and what looks like an exterior set. It would be wild if it turned out that the set for the kissing scene was was next to, and opened onto the lab set.

I'm sure there is another explanation, I just found it odd and funny.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an enlargement of that area, Krell….
It doesn't appear to be a set area, just the studio where the cameras were set up.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spotted that interesting detail in another post many pages back when somebody posted another copy of the BTS shot. Anne seems to be holding something that might be the script. That looks like Leslie too her right.

Note the Krell cleaning equipment stacked against the wall. Cool

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

Anne seems to be holding something that might be the script.

And she has a cigarette in her mouth. Of course, in those days everybody smoked.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also be a lolly-pop. Anne was addicted to them. Cheery was her favorite.

it is now just after 9:00 PM August 17, 2018, Pacific Daylight Savings Time. I am posting an interesting set of pictures in Science now, add Fiction later that (I hope) is extremely related to Forbidden Planet. This will take most of the night to do as there are 51 JPGs which will need some explaining plus two that I've posted before. [A Full explanation is there.]

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:16 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
It might also be a lolly-pop.

I was thinking it looked rather long for a cigarette.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost added, "Is Anne smoking a cigarette?" in my post above, but after looking closely at the photo, I don't think the white line in front of her face is actually an object in her mouth.

It looks more like something behind Anne's head that just happens to line up with her face.

I realize that the blurry blowup below isn't a reliable way to
determine anything specific about the object. For example, the two bright spots in the middle and the odd shape at the end might must be caused by the blotchy nature of the blowup.

However, the object laying across Anne's left forearm does seem to be a copy of the script. I like the idea that we've managed to get this glimpse of a moment on the set when the actors are going over their lines.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby and Optimus Prime playing:

Robby serves lunch to Ultraman [ウルトラマン Urutoraman] (Tokyo Broadcasting System 1966 - 1967):

You Can't Get Enough Sci-Fi:

I recognize Robby and Lord Darth Vader, but who is the other guy?
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this will show the differences of what one sees on the screen better, but probably not.

The top two show what was seen on the movie screen. the 16:9 screen is what you get on a DVD or BD; it is 1.78:1 and is what you get on your modern TVs.The 4:3 is the academy standard of 1.33:1 and is what you see on the older analog NTSC TVs (USA) and PAL (UK) and SECAM (France).

I've used this as one of my desktop pictures:

But I now use this:

If you like them, they're yours.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4:3 is the academy standard of 1.33:1 and is what you see on the older analog NTSC TVs (USA) and PAL (UK) and SECAM (France).

The standard Academy film frame is actually 1.37:1. Not exactly the same as the old TV aspect ratio, but close enough for government work, as they say.

A handful of movies from the early sound era had the frame narrowed to allow for the optical soundtrack, giving an almost-square aspect ratio of 1.2:1. By 1931, cameras had aperture plates that made the image area slightly smaller overall, restoring the aspect ratio to 1.37:1 while still leaving room for the soundtrack.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification: 4:3 is the aspect ratio of the older TVs of the late 1940s to mid 1950s.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification: 4:3 is the aspect ratio of the older TVs of the late 1940s to mid 1950s.

Further clarification: NTSC, PAL, and SECAM formats all used an aspect ratio of 4:3 (1.33:1). The last NTSC analog broadcasts in the U.S. were in June of 2009.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
The last NTSC analog broadcasts in the U.S. were in June of 2009.

Thank you. I did not know this as I got my new TV for my birthday on May 13, 2002.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 66 of 143

Jump to: