ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what great posts, guys! Please allow me to add a few "attaboys" and "whaddagos"!

I read your new comments right after re-reading my old post on this thread from Sep 26, 2014, which made my best pitch for the idea that the animals were created by the machine because of Morbius' love for this daughter.

As for why the Id monsters was invisible, that's a little like wondering why it looked so my much like the WB cartoon version of the Tasmanian Devil — which it did!

Here's my theory about that.

The poor Krell machine was doing it's dead-level best to figure out what Morbius wanted it to do, based on the highly emotional (but very murky) thoughts it was getting from Morbius' inferior human mind.

Morbius wanted all the humans on the planet (other than his beloved daughter) to "go away", and he wasn't too picky about how that goal was achieved.

So, a murderous monster that could easily sneak up on people and rip them into small pieces seemed to fit the bill nicely. The only reason we ever got a glimpse of the Id Monster's shape was because the vast energy pumped into it during the big battle made it light up like a Christmas tree when the lights are turned on!

If you don't remember my elaborate defense for the idea that Altaira's pets were convincing replicas, it's the fourth post down on the 2nd page of this thread at the link below, which I posted on Sep 26, 2014. I was so persuasive that ASF member Larry Foster waved the white flag and finally admitted I'd convinced him the animals were fake! Very Happy

http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?t=272&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I'm pretty sure I presented an argument for this idea which can't be logically refuted. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ORIGINAL Robby is going up for bids from the Bonham Auction site on Nov. 21st. Start counting your pennies now!!!

Discription from the site:

Quote:
The iconic original Robby the Robot suit and Jeep from Forbidden Planet

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1956. Original Robby the Robot suit consisting of three main interlocking sections: His intricate "head," the upper torso with bellows-jointed arms, and the legs; constructed of Royalite plastic, metal, rubber, wood, acetate, and Perspex, with a 1950s pair of men's size 10.5B black leather loafers located inside Robby's feet; with Robby's original Jeep, control panel, alternate original "claw" hands, alternate original "Uncle Simon" The Twilight Zone head, and original wooden shipping "stage crates" with original painted studio transmittal information and shipping labels.

Originally created for M-G-M's outer space epic Forbidden Planet, Robby the Robot ranks among the single most iconic props in science fiction film history and arguably is the cinema's most famous and instantly recognizable robot. Bonhams is proud to present Robby, his Jeep, and his other major components at auction for the very first time.

Forbidden Planet finds the crew of the spaceship C-57D (led by Leslie Nielsen) discovering a scientist, Morbius (Walter Pidgeon), his daughter Altaira (Anne Francis), and Morbius' robotic servant, Robby, on the distant planet Altair-4. In the (literally) electrifying climax, the astronauts are confronted by the horrible "Id" creature that wiped out the extinct Krell species who once populated Altair-4.

Robby was built at M-G-M for around $100,000--a gigantic sum for a science fiction prop in those days. Designed by Robert Kinoshita, Arnold Gillespie, Irving Block, Mentor Huebner, and Arthur Lonergan, Robby was a quantum leap in futuristic movie robot design, breaking from earlier clunky "tin-can" mechanical man designs. His "sax valves," "gyroscopes," and other marvelous trappings are a pinnacle of 1950s futurism. Robby's comical, winning personality also marked a major shift in movie robots.
All of Robby's parts were created in M-G-M's prop shop, primarily the leather shop because of its advanced tooling capabilities. Royalite plastic was used for his head, feet, and upper and lower torso.

All of the spheres on Robby (arm gimbals, legs, and dome) were made of Lumarith (acetate). Metal, rubber, wood, and Perspex were also used in Robby's construction. Resistors on either side of Robby's front neon tubes blink, giving him the appearance of talking.

Robby ran on five 12 volt DC motors, which were originally World War II military surplus. Robby was also sometimes powered by a cable run from his remote control panel on wheels (included here) to his heel. The cable is visible in Forbidden Planet when Robby enters Morbius' house and says "Something is approaching from the west. . ."

Actor/stuntman Frankie Carpenter and former child star Frankie Darro alternately wore the Robby suit in the film. The bulky suit weighs approximately 120 pounds, which Carpenter or Darro had to shoulder using a "flying harness," akin to the ones worn by the Flying Monkeys in The Wizard of Oz (1939), made of metal with back padding and leather padded shoulder straps. The tiring task of playing Robby necessitated a rack for them to rest in between takes. (A similar rack, which was used during production of the film The Invisible Boy (1957) is included here; it also appears onscreen briefly in The Invisible Boy. It is uncertain whether or not it was used on Forbidden Planet.) Robby's huge Jeep was built on a Crosley car body; its futuristic adornments are mainly painted wood. The Jeep does not run because M-G-M cannibalized its steering mechanism and motor for another production.

Forbidden Planet was a colossal hit, and Robby figured heavily in its ad campaign. (The film's one sheet poster gave the false impression that the benign robot is a monster.) Since Robby was in many ways the film's "star," he was present at the film's Los Angeles premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater. During the film's original release, Robby was shipped around the country on a promotional tour; his original wooden shipping "stage crates" are part of this lot. Like many of Forbidden Planet's elaborate props and costumes, Robby was reused frequently; he "starred" in The Invisible Boy (1957) and appeared in many TV series, including Lost in Space, The Addams Family, and The Twilight Zone. An alternate, simpler Robby head was used on the suit for its appearance in the The Twilight Zone episode, "Uncle Simon," and it is present here.

In 1970, Robby and his Jeep were purchased privately from M-G-M by Jim Brucker and both were displayed throughout the 1970s at Movie World/Cars of the Stars. By 1979, Robby had fallen somewhat into disrepair; filmmaker and collector Bill Malone, who had previously built the first full Robby replica, acquired him that year. Using original spare parts included with Robby, Malone restored him to his full glory. (Robby's current hands are recasts from his original hands; the originals were rubber and naturally deteriorated over time. The "bubble" dome on Robby's head is not an original but was made from an original M-G-M studio mold. An original Robby dome is included which has yellowed with age.)

After Robby's restoration, he occasionally cameoed in films like Gremlins (1984) and periodically made public appearances at conventions, screenings, and other events, including the 2016 Turner Classic Movies Film Festival. He has been replicated countless times as toys, model kits, and other memorabilia. Robby was also recently honored by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in a special retrospective of Forbidden Planet; he remained on display at the Academy for two months. The original Robby is fully operational, has been carefully maintained for nearly four decades, and is as stunning as ever.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24465/lot/1070/[/size]

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that Bill will no longer be the owner of Robby. But the very fact that Bill has done such a stellar job of caring for Robby and restoring him to prefect condition (along with allowing him to appear in various productions over the years) has caused Robby's value to increase dramatically.

I'm sure Robby's new owners will pay handsomely for the right to own him, and because of this they will continue to protect and preserve our beloved robot for many years to come.

Below is the message I posted on Bill's Facebook page. The pictures are the ones which accompany Bill's FB post about the auction.

Bill, you've been the best possible caretaker for Robby, and because of your careful maintenance and flawless restoration, Robby will never again be mistreated by people who don't realize his incredible value. We all thank you for bringing Robby to a point in his "life" when he is respected and revered the world over!

Great job, Bill

I'd love to own Robby, but I don't have room for him in my modest townhome. However, I could park the car right out in front with no trouble at all!

Of course, I have to register it and get a tag if I wanted to drive it around town.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boham site says Robby was sold for $5,375,000, but I'll be damned if I can find out who bought him! Shocked

I privately predicted it would be a rich Japanese collector, but that wouldn't be my first choice as Robby's new owner. You can watch a very bad video of the auction at the link below. The bidding was opened at . . . $1,400,000. A steal at that price, but it went up quickly from there.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew Kidd
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping Robby would make an appearance on THE BIG BANG THEORY. He could make Penny dresses, provide Raj with an infinite supply of tequila, and finally give Sheldon someone he could relate to.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, that is a BRILLIANT idea! Very Happy

If the producers should happen to think of the same thing (or they see your post on All Sci-Fi while perusing this board because it's so loaded with smart stuff like that), they'd be better off using one of the fine replica's of Robby which used newer technology and lighter materials.

After all, risking a $5,375,000 collectors item wouldn't be wise when there are perfect "celebrity lookalikes" who could appear in Robby's place.

Meanwhile, I'll contribute a few suggestion to your fine concept. Very Happy

Howard Wolowitz meets a brilliant, wealthy young video game designer and robotics expert named Edward (we never find out his last name . . . just like we don't know Penny's last name) at a sci-fi convention, and Edward shows engineer Howard his blue prints for a Robby replica that would include an A.I. computer which would make the robot completely autonomous!

He even designs Robby's voice to sound like Marvin Miller.

Together, Edward and Howard build the Robby replica in Edward's hi-tech workshop / laboratory (think "Tony Stark's lab").

To test the robot's ability to interact with humans, they get the Big Bang crowd to agree to let Robby "become part of their group" and hang around their two apartments for a week.

One of the first things Robby does to help his new friends is to fix the elevator in their building!

Other impressive feats include giving Amy a make-over which improves her appearance dramatically (and thus boost her self-confidence, causing several handsome guys to take an interest in her — which makes Sheldon very nervous).

Robby also works with Leonard Hofstadter to develop a formula in theoretical physics which might win Leonard a Nobel Prize before Sheldon!

I have no idea where to take this interesting concept from here, but it certainly seems to have lots of potential! What do you guys think? Please share your own thoughts with us! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few "ROBBYS'" !!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And quite a few more HERE, compliments of Butch's post from the Old Old All Sci-Fi way back from 2007 to 2013, which I've manage to save each time All Sci-Fi had to recreated from scratch since 2013.

And now it's here again. Enjoy! Very Happy

http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?t=90
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forbidden Planet - ultimate DVD

I was reading some of the ezBoard posts about a deluxe FP set, and I decided to take a shot at describing what I considered to be the Ultimate Deluxe Forbidden Planet DVD. I’d be interested in your opinions.

Yes, I know there’s an old saying. “Wish in one hand, spit in the other, and see which one fills up first.”

Sure it's gross, but it makes a good point. None-the-less, I can’t help wishing for the ultimate DVD of Forbidden Planet. Here are some of the special features which the ultimate DVD should include.

A VIRTUAL TOUR OF THE SETS

Just pop the special CD into your computer and cruise around the sets of Forbidden Planet. Stroll through Morbius’ house and the Krell lab, fly up and down the Krell machine’s air shaft, zoom in on interesting parts of the Krell machine’s “big room”, wander around the landing site of the C57-D, poke into every corner of the C57-D’s interior, and even take a respectful stroll through the graveyard, the way Morbius must have done many times.

This section would even include a tour of Altaira’s bedroom, a portion of the Morbius home we never got to see, on the second floor of the house. I’m sure this bright and interesting young lady would have a very unusual room, crammed with wall décor and knick-knacks that reflected both her feminine side and her intense interest in all the science subjects her father tutored her in.

In each part of this section of the special features, you’d be able to move in close to something interesting and click on a hidden icon to get more information. For example, in the graveyard you could click on the name displayed on a gravestone, and it would call up the service record of the deceased crewmen, straight from the files of the United Federation of Planets.

Inside the C57-D, you could click on certain pieces of equipment (like those wonderful readouts at Quinn’s station, or the control panel near the big astrogation dome), and a pop-up would explain what the control panel or piece of equipment was for.

THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED FEDERATION OF PLANETS

This part of the DVD would offer a history of the UFP, illustrated with impressive graphics. It would provide the viewer with a more detailed version of the brief (but interesting) history of mankind which is described by Les Tremayne’s opening narration. Scenes of ships like the United Planets cruiser C57-D being built would be included. Historic moments, like the testing of the first hyperdrive ship, could be illustrated, complete with quick shot of the people involved in this moment.

ALTAIRA’S DIARY

A montage of scenes from the 20 years that elapsed between the destruction of Belarathon and the arrival of the C57-D could be presented, with Anne Francis providing a voice-over narration for these scenes from Altaira’s own personal diary. Recreated sets and look-a-like actors (shown from behind and at a distance) would be used to depict scenes such as Robby’s first day of activation and the moment when Altaira first discovers the existence of her “friends” (the animals).

THE BELARATHON CAPTAIN’S LOG

This one would be easy – a text-only section (with a few cleverly-created “file-pictures”) which tells the sad story of how the crew of the ill-fated ship first landed on Altair 4 and then began to suffer the baffling attacks of an invisible force. The captain would describe how his crew was torn literally lib-from-limb by some dark, terrible, incomprehensible force which never once showed itself. The conclusion of this section would be a heart-rending description of the final moments of the last remaining crewmembers who tried to escape in the ship – ending when the ship is vaporize!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to that would be a disk with ALL the deleted scenes being included in a "Alternate - Restored" version after cgi restoration to match the quality of the theatrical version in color and sound as well as definition..

This alternate version of the prologue voice-over would also be a part of it.

Unshot scenes as discribed in the original script would also be created and inserted in the "dream" edition as well.

Included in the cd-rom section would also be a file of the original construction blueprints and all the existing concept drawings, painting and schetches. High definition copies of the cycloramas and residence painting would also be available.

Lastly, PDF files of the original script and the novelization would be provided.

Heck.......I'd buy it in a heartbeat!!!!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Added to that would be a disk with ALL the deleted scenes being included in a "Alternate - Restored" version after cgi restoration to match the quality of the theatrical version in color and sound as well as definition.

The deleted scenes only exist on the low-quality 16mm work print with extremely poor clarity.

"Restoring" the deleted scenes is just not possible, since they were never very good to start with. Sad

What you're suggesting is "recreating" those scenes from scratch using CGI. We'd all like to see that done, but it would quite an ambitious and expensive undertaking.

And in the case of the scene with the men sitting in Robby's car during the ride to Morbius' house, the rear screen projection was so bad it was rightly deemed unusable, even when it was in 35mm!

_________ Deleted Scenes from Forbidden Planet

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actualy Bud, those deleted scenes are NOT so complicated or contain so much movement that they would be terribly difficult to clean-up with CGI. Cleaning up the sound may be the hardest thing to accomplish.

Most of these scenes are mainly the characters extrapolating important plot point.....Like....

1) Why does there seem to be such friction between Adams and Farnum?

2) Why do they need to "Make their own eclipses" in the first place. What's the meaning of that "Jerry, you..." expletive from Adams upon decellerating out of warp.

3) The "Unicorn Theory" behind Altaria's new interraction with the tiger and her father.

4) A little more background about the Bellerophon and the fact that there was no communication with them after their arrival.

Duplicate scenes could be left out. Even the "Ride to the Residence" could be left out because it doesn't mean much to the enfolding of the story.

Most of these scenes are more dialogue than action.

No....I don't think it would be terribly expensive to restore those few important scenes as they hardly total more than 10 minutes in total and would enhance the understanding of the story and retain the originality and integrity of the creators, writer and director. Most low budget films in the genre today have more than that.

Many films undergo multiple editing editions and it seems that FP was released after just an early cut.

Still...as long as it does not "replace" the original....just provide a "could have been" alternate version while still containing only original material it would be interesting to see.

Last edited by Gord Green on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED FEDERATION OF PLANETS

This part of the DVD would offer a history of the UFP, illustrated with impressive graphics.

Sure it's nitpicking, but the opening narration describes the ship as "United Planets Cruiser C-57-D." Not "Federation." Of course, it's always possible that Forbidden Planet and Star Trek take place in the same alternate reality!

(Oh, and it's "Bellerophon." Named for the Greek mythic hero.)
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true Scotpens, but I've always thought that was used much as "American" steamship or "Nazi" submarine.

What the designation was intended to be in an "official" name is subject to conjecture.

Perhaps it's THE UNITED CONFEDERATION OF PLANETS or UNITED FEDERATION OF PLANETS or UNITED PLANETS CONFEDERATION... or...just UNITED PLANETS.

Any other possabilities?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, please give a listen to the FULL narration that was used in the FP work print. It contains several phrases that were edited out of the final version, including this phrase.

" . . . and so at last, mankind — now banded together in a single federation — began the conquest and colonization of deep space."

So, a United Planets Cruiser is one belonging to the United Federation of Planets, the same way the aircraft carrier, the USS Enterprise, belongs to the United States of America! Very Happy

____________ Forbidden Planet deleted scenes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 54 of 143

Jump to: