ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
As soon as I find them either Eadie or myself will post the larger pictures of the diagrams.

I'll be watching for that.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
As soon as I find the others either Eadie or myself will post the larger blurry pictures of the diagrams.

Butch, I'm pretty sure we all feel that "larger blurry pictures of the diagrams" would not be a good thing.

The pictures you posted aren't going to look better "larger".

In short, we're good with what you posted, thank you. We realize that you're having trouble with your eyesight these days. Thankfully, we aren't.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can deal with some blurriness. We have the magic.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important note to Butch: Please read your private messages!

You have four important PMs from me, and if you'd read them you wouldn't keep making the same mistakes that have caused me to send your posts back to you for badly needed technical corrections! Shocked

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're doing our best but it is a slow learning curve!

Poster for the unfinished remake:

The tag-line was "Where Thoughts Can Kill"!

I will post pictures of Stan Winston's designs for Robby and other related tuff as soon as I find them in Butch's collection.

A close-up of the elevation of Shane Johnson's design for the C-57-D which in some respects is very illogical.

I agree with Alta! This IS how I would feel if a hunk like Commander Adams even looked at me!"

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is addictive! it seems as if we all have an humanoid Krell on our backs:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
"Uncle" Bud, when you posted the various decorations in the Morbius Residence you forgot one:

Which raises the question "Why would the EX-101 Bellerophon party even bring a clear armillary sphere with the constellations with them?"

Or is this another thing manufactured by Robby?

Eadie, you've done it again! Very Happy

Your question about the sphere went off like a bomb in my brain! (I'm still cleaning up the gray matter that splattered all over the living room . . . Sad)

Obviously NONE of the decorations in the Morbius house were hauled all the way from Earth, therefore ALL of them were designed by Morbius and manufactured by Robby!

And that means we can add one more amazing talent to Morbius' "artificially expanded intellect"! He's a brilliant artist who created all those decorations in the house (the ones actually created by famed artist Sascha Brastoff and used in the movie.)

By the way, eBay has another beautiful Brastoff piece that Butch might want to consider buying. It's 1 3/4 inches higher than that itty-bitty 3 1/4" paperweight of the tree. Even though it looks large in the picture, it's a whopping 5" tall!

("Stand back, folks! It might tip over and crush somebody!" Shocked)

The "Buy it Now" price is $155, but I'm sure that will come down. The tree sculptor which eBay previously offered went down to $75 and still didn't sell, and now it's back on eBay again and priced at $75.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly would compliment both fish sculptures! (The one at the front door porch — patio entrance and the one at the terrace — pool entrance.)

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
It certainly would compliment both fish sculptures! (The one at the front door porch — patio entrance and the one at the terrace — pool entrance.)

Eadie, it warms the cockles of my heart to know that another All Sci-Fi besides me is that familiar with the Brastoff sculpture in the Morbius house. Very Happy

I swear I'd buy either of the two Brastoff pieces above IF they were about 12" high . . . instead the small "paperweight" size they actually are. Sad

Having an actual Brastoff sculpture in my living room (like Morbius did in his) would just tickle me pink!

In fact, I'd be tempted to buy BOTH so I could keep one and send you the other one! Cool

PS: I looked up "cockles" and found this.

1. an edible, burrowing bivalve mollusk with a strong ribbed shell.

2. a small shallow boat.

So, either I've got two bivalve mollusks in my heart . . . or a pair of shallow boats! Shocked

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The human heart has four chambers: two upper chambers (the atria) and two lower ones (the ventricles).. The right atrium and right ventricle together make up the "right heart," and the left atrium and left ventricle make up the "left heart." A wall of muscle called the septum separates the two sides of the heart.

The tricuspid valve and the mitral valve make up the atrioventricular (AV) valves, which connect the atria and the ventricles. The pulmonary semi-lunar valve separates the right ventricle from the pulmonary artery, and the aortic valve separates the left ventricle from the aorta. The heartstrings, or chordae tendinae, anchor the valves to heart muscles.

So the heart has two pairs of valves that regulate the pumping of blood....in short, a BI-VALVE system.

In slang the bi-valve arrangement may be expressed as similar to a bi-valve mollusk...The Cockle.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but . . . where are the small boats? Confused

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-coc2.htm

According to the above linked article:

Quote:
In medieval Latin, the ventricles of the heart were at times called cochleae cordis, where the second word is an inflected form of cor, heart. Those unversed in Latin could have misinterpreted cochleae as cockles, or it might have started out as a university in-joke.

Bud Brewster wrote:
Okay, but . . . where are the small boats? Confused

Will a submarine do?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!

By God, Scotpens, you are BRILLIANT! Very Happy

You're comment gave me a wonderful idea for a sequel to Fantastic Voyage that would be a blockbuster! Shocked

Imagine a movie set several years after Fantastic Voyage, when the C.M.D.F. technology has been perfected, and every citizen in American has a miniature submarine cruising around inside their bodies, dealing with threats to their health on a daily basis!

The crews of the submarines are replaced on a regular basis (say, once a week), and each patient makes a brief trip to the hospital to have the submarine inside them replaced by a new one with a fresh crew.

The plot of this movie is about an average citizen who gets up one morning, takes a shower, eats breakfast with his happy family, and heads off to work.

Meanwhile, the miniaturized Health Monitors inside his body are cruising around in his system, looking for blood clots and tumors, checking out his liver and kidney functions, and destroying fat cells he's accumulated from poor eating habits.

The lucky recipient of this constant and routine health care is not even aware of the internal efforts which his microscopic Health Monitors make to keep him in perfect condition — any more than we're aware today of what's going on inside our bodies when we take medication for high blood pressure or type 2 diabetes!

In this sequel to Fantastic Voyage, our average citizen is shown blithely going through his day at work, completely unaware of a battle taking place inside his body!

The crew of the miniaturized submarine discover several life-threatening health issues which they deal with one-by-one without the man whose body they're inside knowing about it!

Meanwhile, our Average Man goes about his daily routine, confronting challenges in his profession which threaten his continued employment, and difficulties which arise in his interpersonal relationships. He struggles to maintain his job security, and he also has to deal with family problems which come up when his loving wife calls him to report problems with the kids at school.

In other words, it's a typical day for an average person.

At the end of the day, our weary Average Man stumbles home and is greeted by his lovely wife and his happy kids, grateful to have made it through a trying day at work . . . completely unaware that his skilled team of brave and skilled microscopic Health Monitors have spent the entire day battling life-threatening issues inside of him, and their efforts have left him more fit and healthy than when he left the house that morning!

Damn, guys, would this be a great movie or what? Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if "every" citizen has the sub implant, then each crewmember would have one too and so infinitum.

Perhaps it's not that "every" citizen has one, but only those with a diagnosed ailment of some kind...or perhaps those with a propensity toward one.

Or....possibly it's a trial test on an unsuspecting patient.

In any regard....it's a GREAT idea!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Well, if "every" citizen has the sub implant, then each crewmember would have one too and so infinitum.

An interesting point, Gord. But the strange dilemma you described is easily dealt with. And your suggestion that miniaturized Health Monitors should be restricted to people "with a diagnosed ailment of some kind...or perhaps those with a propensity toward one" indicates that you don't quite understand the greatest benefit of this concept.

First lets address the idea that crewmen in subs would have implanted subs with their own crewmen, and so forth.

Every "average" person would have an implanted sub manned by Health Monitors all the time, but the sub crews themselves would only spend a week on duty inside a citizen, and they would have their own their subs removed while on duty.

Other exceptions would be people who are out of the country and can't get to hospitals for the normal weekly rotations, people who experience a psychological aversion to having miniaturized people inside them, religious nuts who refuse medical treatment of any kind, Amish people who object to technology in any form, etc. etc.

However, the majority of the population would become accustom to this unusual-but-life-saving medical procedure, and they would experience great anxiety if they had to do without their Health Monitors] for any reason.

Here's why.

The security that the average person would feel at having a team of medical professionals constantly "close by" to deal immediately with the many life-threatening conditions that currently kill millions of people every day because they go undetected would far outweigh any objections that the more sane and intelligent people would have.

This would be better in some ways than having a EM team at your side every minute of the day and night! Even though this team of [i]Health Monitors
couldn't deal with major injuries like those caused by car accidents, they would be able to call Emergency Medical Service the instant such accidents occurred.

And even if the Health Monitors themselves were killed by the accident which injured their patient, the Control Centers which monitored them constantly would be alerted by the cessation of the sub's routine status signals which provided continuous info about the patient's condition and the sub's status.

A GPS system in the sub would keep track of the patient's location so that EM personnel would arrive quickly.

Gordon, compare the dedication and bravery of the Health Monitors who man these subs to the daily dangers faced by every EM personnel, policemen, and firefighters who risk their lives to serve and protect the public. Those people must deal with situations after they've already injured or killed people.

But the miniaturized Health Monitors are right there with their patients every minute of the day, dealing with minor problems before they become major illnesses, keeping their patients alive and healthy by providing countless preventive treatments that stop Alzheimer's from developing (which is what killed my father), or COPD from progressing (which is what killed my mother), or pancreatic cancer from going undetected before it's too late to do a damn thing about!

And that, as we all know, is exactly what killed our good friend Bulldogtrekker. By the time the doctors knew he had cancer, there was absolutely nothing they could do to help him.

He was dead just three weeks after he was diagnosed with it.

So, don't think of this as something we could provide for people who are already ill, or people who have a family history of a certain condition.

Think of this as a way to constantly correct small medical conditions before they develop into major medical emergencies.

As for the story I suggested which uses this concept, the beauty of it is the irony that Mr. Average Man is blissfully unaware of the battle taking place inside him while he deals with the routine challenges he faces in his daily life.

And the same kind of life-saving battles would be going on inside everyone else, too! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 60 of 143

Jump to: