ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on. Let's be fair, Butch. Rolling Eyes

Morbius didn't say there was "no evidence of their physical form". He said, "No record of their physical nature has survived."

That means pictures, statues, videos, etc — which, unfortunately, is not consistent with the fact that their database is supposed to contain a complete record of their knowledge. But that's the fault of Cyril Hume, and we should just forgive him in view of everything he got RIGHT in this brilliant script. Very Happy

As for your accusation that Morbius was not aware of any evidence as to what the Krell looked like, that's not true.

Immediately after making the above statement to Adams and Ostrow he turned to the diamond-shaped archway and told the men to "consider it in relation to our functionally designed human doorways."

I think it's fair to assume that Morbius spent thousands of hours studying every clue available concerning the Krell physiology. He just didn't give a lecture about it to Adams and Ostrow.

He had bigger fish to fry! Wink

_____

______________________Morbius' Lecture

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD! The only things NOT answered are the points I indicated. What can WE deduce from them and others?

I don't know who the artist is but the title is "Robby Says Goodbye to Altair IV":

How TV picture quality has changed! Morbius on an old Monochrome (ie: B&W) 480-line scan:

I hope this loads! For those of you if which your copy of Forbidden Planet is to old and worn-out, a Pdf of the 1967 reprint of the paperback:

IT DIDN'T WORKl!!! HELP!!!!
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now REALLY I know that many old persons are set in their ways but this is just plain silly!

1) Here is the location of the site for Ragnorok Creative Studios pictures and trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfc3v_oOWpU

Here is their website:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2yaoa

2) Here is where you can get the free down-load of the ".pdf" of the 1967 reprint of Forbidden Planet:

https://epdf.tips/forbidden-planet.html

The text (except in some cases the translation) is basically identical. The 1956 original hardback jacket:

The original 1956 paperback (artist Frank R. Paul):

1967 Canadian reprint This is the ".pdf" file to download. (artist unknown):

1990 UK reprint (artist unknown):

French language paperback. (publishing date & artist unknown):

Spanish language paperback (publishing date & artist unknown):

Italian language paperback (publishing date & artist unknown):

[The cover is identical to the Spanish language paperback but there are differences in language and word usage.]

I Romanzi di Urania [Great Romances of the Universe] Italian magazine (publishing date & artist unknown):

Two More stories about the Krell by Roz Ed Kaverney (publishing date & artist unknown):

Another nook of stories about the Krell by Terry Nation (yes, the creator of the Daleks):

The cover to the first never written novel (publishing date & artist AbaKon):

The cover to the second never written novel (publishing date & artist AbaKon):

The last two would have been nice to read! These pictures can be found at Deviant ART along with many other Star Trek and (blank) crossover non-books.

Butch has all of these posted here and much more!

https://abakon.deviantart.com/art/Civil-War-518360505

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch and Eadie....THANK YOU!

I have a copy of the original paperback, but from age and frequent readings it's getting rather delicate.

Now, thanks to you ,I can read it anytime!

The pdf is now in my files alongside pdf's of the original script!

Thanks for your efforts!

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHICH original script? The Fatal Planet script of 1952 the Cyril Hume script? If so which version? (he did six that I know of).

Most importantly HOW do we get a copy of it?

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Here is the location of the site for Ragnorok Creative Studios pictures and trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfc3v_oOWpU

That's the most promising proposal for an FP remake I've seen yet. Their Morbius looks like Walter Pidgeon (although the caption says Bryan Cranston concept). The character I take to be Cmdr. Adams looks like he's patterned after Gerard Butler (which their caption confirms).

Their Robby looks like he might be a cyborg. There seems to be a distorted face under the dome, plus he sports one hand and one claw. The legs look humanoid.

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie, the script copy I have is dated 8-36-54 , which is obviously a typo. it has a completed date of 9-6-54 (which makes more sense) and a script completed date of 9-3-54.

The first page has the date 8-26-53, (Which is also obviously a typo as all the other pages are dated 8-26-54.) so who can be sure?

I downloaded it years ago and don't recall where I got it, but I think it was a site called "Simply Scripts".

HERE:

http://www.simplyscripts.com/2015/11/07/forbidden-planet-screenplay/

There was another "script" bouncing around, but was really just a transcription of the dialogue from the film as shown.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to down load it and was only partially successful. Most of the pages in the ".pdf" are blank!

The only other script is a transcript on Drew's Script-O-Rama : Free screenplays by screenwriters you know and love! http://www.script-o-rama.com/oldindex.shtml

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the site and downloaded a copy just fine....all pages are there.

Some of the pages are rather light, but intact. Turn up your contrast.

Try again?

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY eyesight isn't that good any more. Although it would help if I had a more modern screen than this 35 year old CRT monitor!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned the large HD TV you have, Butch. Why not spring for a nice new computer monitor like the one below. Only $99.99. It's 21.5 inches diagonally . . . three inches bigger than the

I think that old monitor of yours is the reason you sometimes post pictures that are washed out and pale. And I suspect your old monitor's low resolution is causing you to think you have to post images that overly large.

By the way, you have four PMs from me that address that problem. Please read them, Butch.

~ The Space Children (1958)
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Uncle" Bud, when you posted the various decorations in the Morbius Residence you forgot one:

Which raises the question "Why would the EX-101 Bellerophon party even bring a clear armillary sphere with the constellations with them?"

Or is this another thing manufactured by Robby?

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I always wondered that too.

I would suppose that some books or other documentation was left from the Bellerathon party, and Morbius's choice of decorations were derived from that. The fish in the entry and the human statue must have come from some Earthian derivation.

Perhaps when Morbius took the "brain boost" his thoughts and memories were back-loaded into the matrix and Robby tied into them to create the artworks.

Perhaps Altaira supplied the designs from her study and education from the Bellerathon archieves.

In any regard, they do NOT show much of a Krellian influence.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around mid Summer of 1971 there was an exhibit at Aéroport de Paris-Orly (the main international airport) (Aéroport de Paris-Charles-de-Gaulle Roissy Airport [de-Gaulle is the European domestic and Asian international airport].

This exhibit has some sketches by Forbidden Planet art director Arthur Lonergan for unused scenes of the C-57-D's engine room as well as other unused and used designs (with slight modifications). Here they are:

Here are a few of them. Sorry about them being so blurry but that i a result of the size increase necessary. The C-57-D exterior set With fence post locations:

The upper engine core:

The lower engine core:

The Lord Kelvin (Sir William Thomson) Effect heat exchangers. (The red tubes and the black spinners on the bottom dome. ):

As soon as I find the others either Eadie or myself will post the larger blurry pictures of the diagrams.

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

Thanks Butch!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 59 of 143

Jump to: