ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Comics and Artwork
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Questar Reply with quote

This is issue number 4 featuring "Just Imagine Jeannie" about a space and time traveling lady and her adventures in various movie settings.

One issue that I used to have had her on Altair IV with Robby, Dr. Morbius and a very young Alta.

I found some info at http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/8311#.VpeNiFLyAnU

On issue number 4 (I have this one):

JUST IMAGINE: JEANNIE -- by Forest J. Ackerman (!) & James Warhola -- A girl mysteriously wakes up about a century in the future, with no memory, and after adjusting, gets roped into a beauty pageant. The episode ends with her falling off a roof, and we're unsure if it was an accident or she was pushed. I bet most people think Forry only created VAMPIRELLA, huh?

Nice art which features tributes to the 1932 sci-fi musical film (which FJA probably saw when it was first-run--heh). Mild nudity helps add some interest.

And:

JUST IMAGINE: JEANNIE by John Nubbin & Mike Grell (!!) -- Several chapters down the line, our sometimes-naked cutie finds herself on Altair IV, where she meets Morbius & Altaira several years before the
events of the movie FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Nice stuff, but I would have thought you could get SUED for doing stuff like this (they didn't even change the names of the characters, and there's no indication anywhere of Copyright information regarding them).

Can anyone find out which issue it was and possibly post pictures?

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Questar Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
Can anyone find out which issue it was and possibly post pictures?

Haven't found that issue yet, but I did find the pictures below from Questar #4 (1978) on a site called Professor H's Wayback Machine.

(* Note that some websites, like the one above, misspell Jeanie with two n's -- as "Jeannie".)

A site called MyComicShop.com has pictures of the covers and detailed info about what each of the thirteen issues included. Just Imagine: Jeanie! was apparently featured in issues 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 (although it might have been in others as well).

I did managed to find out that issue #4 is the start of the series, and it's described in the magazine as (get this, guys) Beginning The Adventures of Forrest J. Ackerman's Space-Age Fem Fantastique."

Issue #6 featured Just Imagine: Jeanie! Episode Three: Menaced in Metropolis.

Issue #10 featured Just Imagine: Jeanie! Chapter Five: Discovery.

Another site mentions that issue #11 featured Just Imagine: Jeanie! Chapter Six: Pause in a Dry and Deadly Place. (Sounds like maybe this was the Forbidden Planet story. Dry and deadly? Yep, that's Altair 4.)

At a site called Complete Marvel Reading Order, one of the bloggers made this interesting statement.

"As the story unfolds we learn that her name is Jean Rogers and that she is the daughter of Steve Rogers (Captain America) from a timeline in which, after receiving the super soldier formula, he decided to go into exile rather than fight during WWII."

Forry was sure pouring on the imagination in the Jeanie series, eh? Very Happy

The magazine itself is impressive as hell, with wonderful covers like the one below by Frank Frazetta!

Thanks for sharing this with us, Butch! I had fun tracking down all this info.

* Jeanie artwork by James Warhola

* One website I found said the whiskered man above was based on Issac Asimov! Good likeness.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the cover for issue 5, the Forbidden Planet one.

This might help for those looking to scan it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Comics and Artwork All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: