ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek Discovery - new series (CBS All Access 2017)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonequa

Actress Sonequa Martin-Green is the lead on the new "Star Trek: Discovery" series

BDT:I wonder how she would look in a Star Trek the Original Series classic uniform?
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Trek: Discovery drops the F-word, and fans aren't into it
Ben Arnold,Yahoo Movies UK

The debut series of "Star Trek: Discovery" appears to be breaking new ground all over the place - with an openly gay character, a poignant (sadly topical) plot around male sexual assault, and the show's first black lead actress - but some have baulked at its latest move.

In the fifth episode, .... called "Choose Your Pain", the F-word was used for the first time in the show's 51 year history. And not just once, but twice......

....We didn't drop the F-bomb in "Star Trek" by telling somebody to go f**k themselves. We did it by saying, "this is f***ing cool."

But not everyone's cool with it. In fact, the overriding feeling is that it was a step too far.....

BDT: It was unnecessary.

For full story, click this link:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/star-trek-discovery-drops-f-word-fans-arent-111819685.html
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a point where the attempt to be "relevant" goes beyond of the original concept.

Sorry....but this really turned me OFF to the whole series.

I'll stick to THE ORVILLE where I know what to expect .

Not that I'm a purist, but concepts totally out of character turn me off. But, then again, this is in the Kelvin Universe....not in the "real" Rodenburry Star Trek concieved universe.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Star Trek: Discovery about to copy the twist from The Trouble with Tribbles?
The Verge

In Discovery, the primary Klingon antagonist is a Klingon named Voq, played by an actor named Javid Iqbal. As the AV Club lays out, Iqbal doesn't seem to actually exist. No photos appear of him outside of his Klingon makeup, he hasn't appeared in any other TV show, movie, or even a commercial, and basically has no presence on the internet at all.

Actor Javed Iqbal doesn't seem to actually exist
Meanwhile, actor Shazad Latif -- who was originally cast as the role of a Klingon named Kol -- was said to be playing the same role as Voq before plans changed and his part was switched to a Federation officer named Lieutenant Ash Tyler.

In last week's episode, Latif made his first appearance as Tyler, a Klingon prisoner who was rescued and brought back to the Discovery by Captain Lorca.

But while Latif only appeared on-screen last Sunday, he's shown up in the credits for every episode of the show so far as a series regular, leading fans to believe that the actor has shown up in the role of Voq, hidden under facial prosthetics and Klingon language.

Voq, played by "Javid Iqbal" (left) and Lt. Ash Tyler, played by Shazad Latif (right).

And here's where the tribbles come in. When we last saw Voq in the show, he was embarking on a personal mission to take the fight to the Federation, one that was said to require him to "sacrifice everything."

And what would be a bigger sacrifice, the theory goes, for a Klingon who hates everything the Federation stands for, than having to disguise himself as a human and pretend to serve on a Federation ship like the Discovery in order to spy out their secrets?

The thing is, this is basically beat for beat the plot of "The Trouble with Tribbles," albeit with a great deal fewer darkly lit interiors and savage beatings. In that episode, a Klingon agent named Arne Darvin masquerades as a human to infiltrate a Federation post, where he attempts to poison grain meant for a planet with disputed Federation-Klingon ownership.

Darvin is only outed because the innocuous, fluffy tribbles have a particular hatred of Klingons, and tend to freak out in their presence, which leads Kirk to discover his identity and save the day.

And guess who already has a tribble -- again, a species whose sole purpose in Star Trek is to look cute, eat food, and out undercover Klingon spies -- sitting on his desk? Captain Lorca, of course. .....

For full story, click on link below: https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/tldr/2017/10/20/16504260/star-trek-discovery-voq-ash-tyler-shazad-latif-javid-iqbal-fake-actor-tribbles
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That seems logical." I say that with one arched eyebrow.

The physical disquise of "humanizing" a Klingon could explain the more human appearance of Klingons in ST:TOS. A group of them were altered for the purpose of interactions with the more humanoid races in the original series.

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayne Brook
Actress Jayne Brook was born in Northbrook, Illinois and has been featured in movies and television.

She was in the 2004 "Lost in Space" pilot. She is currently appearing as Admiral Cornwell in "Star Trek: Discovery".

From Treks in Sci-fi
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you guys liking Star Trek Discovery?

To me, every new episode is better than the previous episode. Episode 7, 'Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" brings back an angry Harry Mudd, a party with beer pong and dancing and even a little humor.

party time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=74&v=qFvcSCJIAio
YouTube link

If you have given up on Star Trek Discovery, try watching episode 7. It reminded me of classic Star Trek.

Stella Mudd, Harry Mudd and Stella's father

Here is a screen capture of Stella Mudd, Harry Mudd's hot wife and her father in the transporter room. For a moment I thought she was wearing a very short dress, but she is wearing red tights and boots. Their clothing reminded me of classic Star Trek costuming.

I freely admit that the first episode was disappointing.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These New Discovery Prints Capture The Grandeur of Star Trek's Best Self
Julie Muncy, I09

series of limited edition prints, by artist Cliff Cramp

“Hope”

“USS Discovery”

“USS Shenzhou"

https://io9.gizmodo.com/these-new-discovery-prints-capture-the-grandeur-of-star-1823118304

bonus photo

"USS Enterprise" on Discovery
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now watched all 15 episodes of the first season and I must say that they were very good....give the series an 8 out of 10.

One thing however is that you DO have to watch them in order. Although there may be a different sub-plot in each episode there is a definite mega-story being told here that advances and builds with every episode....and it's a doozy!

I'll give a little time before I discuss the Captain Lorca paradox, but it's a first wallop out of many! The last scene in episode 15 is also a real goosebump generator!

I still say that it feels and looks more Kelvin than original series, but I really grew to like it and the characters!

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 out of 10 seems fair. The long-term story did keep one coming back for more, though after all the build-up things did seem to reach a satisfactory conclusion rather easily in the final episode.

The feeling that things were a bit more advanced and high-tech in STD than ten years later does keep circling around. Why not set a new Star Trek series after the earlier shows...?

There was always going to be a surprising climax to lead us into season two, and what they gave us was a pleasant surprise, instead of a sudden disaster. Smile
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like my other two buddies, I have now watched all 15 episodes of the first season and I must say that they were good. I would give the series an 7 out of 10. My ranking would be higher if I understood the storylines better. I look forward to watching the series with Bud when the series comes out on DVD and we watch it together using Facebook chat or Chatzty.

My favorite episode was Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad , the second Harry Mudd episode. My least favorite episode was The Vulcan Hello , the pilot seen on CBS.

I do not like the following:
Klingons
ship design
Spore drive
no short skirts on the women (update)
the rotating saucer

I had hoped the ships would look more like this

There are a lot of things I do like.
Tilly
Harry Mudd
the last 5 minutes of the last episode
the title sequence and music

I wish the series success but I wish it was on free TV.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Tilly was great, so let us have her picture in this thread - dressed up as her more ambitious Mirror Universe self!

Last edited by Custer on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Closer look At The USS Enterprise In ‘Star Trek: Discovery’
By: Matt Wright, Trekmovie

The reveal of the USS Enterprise as led by Captain Pike was a big twist in the season finale of Star Trek: Discovery. The inclusion of the ship has led to a lot of fan debate. While we can’t settle any of those debates today, certainly not before we see what they’re planing to do with the Enterprise in season two, we can do what Trekkies do best, which is to analyze the new “Disco” design of the most famous ship in the Star Trek franchise.

The new tweaks to the classic design are certainly interesting, and contain a variety of influences, primarily of course the final version of the classic Enterprise model that was used for The Original Series. There are also details from the pilot version as seen in “Where No Man Has Gone Before,” and the later refit version first seen in The Motion Picture. Also in the mix of influences are the NX-class from Star Trek: Enterprise, and yes, a dash of the Kelvin-universe USS Enterprise as well.....

.....Swinging around to the stern of the ship, let’s look at the engines. In “Where No Man Has Gone Before” there was simple vent grating at the back of the warp nacelles. This one was a nice surprise — in the back of the nacelles of the Discovery version we find a glowing grid of vent holes......
LINK for full story and photographs:
https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/17/a-closer-look-at-the-uss-enterprise-in-star-trek-discovery/
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Best Tilly Dillies, Plus Mary Wiseman's Favorite

I have a confession to make; I am crazy for Tilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdBiaxbLVKI
YouTube video

Quote:
“I never met a female named Michael before. Do you think that suits you? I'll call you Mickey. I think that's more approachable.”

Cadet Sylvia Tilly, a/k/a Captain Killy, got to utter some of the best, funniest lines during Star Trek: Discovery's first season. Today, we celebrate some of those memorable bits of dialogue, nearly half of which come from the Tilly-palooza season-one finale, “Will You Take My Hand?” And we even invited Mary Wiseman, who plays our beloved, wide-eyed, exuberant Tilly/Killy, to share her personal favorite Tilly Dilly with StarTrek.com readers.

Quote:
“Insult her again, and your nose is going to be able to sniff the back of your head.”
“I have a very narrow esophagus. Strange, but true. So, that’s bad for that.”
“Oh, s—t, that’s not a drone!”
“First of all, um, so, I am very high. Uh, but you need to listen to me.”

For full story and videos, go to this link:
http://www.startrek.com/article/the-best-tilly-dillies-plus-mary-wisemans-favorite
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there are a lot of Discovery gifs available... Smile

Last edited by Custer on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: