ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) Reply with quote

Let's face it, this movie was a lost cause.

That doesn't mean I don't like the film. It just means that practically everybody who went to see it was doomed to disappointment because of the truth behind old sayings like "Time waits for no man", and "You can't go back home".

Consider this: Star Wars: A New Hope captivated the world in 1977 by inspiring the young and young-at-heart with a brand new kind of movie that whisked them away to a distant Galaxy and a bold adventure.

Twenty-two years later, Lucas wanted desperately to do the same thing again. So did all the folks who love the first film. Unfortunately, the world had seen A New Hope twenty times over the last two decades, along with the two sequels and all the copy cats that had jumped on the bandwagon, so the Big Surprise aspect of A New Hope was lightning that just couldn't strike twice. Heck, even The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi suffered that fate to some degree!

The original audiences who loved the first movie had grown twenty-two years older, raised kids who were now the age they were in 1977, and contracted a bad case of "middle age" — that dreaded ailment that makes your waist swell up, your hair fall out, your eyesight fail, and your youthful optimism dwindle to a shadow of its former self.

Expecting The Phantom Menace to thrill the fans the way A New Hope did is like finding a pair of blue jeans you wore in high school and thinking they'll still fit. Sad

So, all things considered I think Phantom Menace worked a miracle by doing as well as it did. Naturally it got slammed savagely by some critics, razed a bit by others, and generally criticized for being a disappointment.

However, it did commit a couple of well-known blunders that make you wish good old George had a trusted friend and advisor who would slap the back of Mr. Lucas' head and say —

"Damn, George, are you really going to let that adorable little block 'a wood play Luke's famous father? Haven't you heard what the film crew is calling him? Mannequin Skywalker!"

Those of you who think Jake Lloyd did a passable job should compare his acting to that of Dakota Goyo from Real Steel. When it comes to acting, the Force is strong with that kid . . .

And then there's Jar Jar. Good God A'mighty. I always have to turn on the closed captioning just to understand the words he's saying — never mind what the dang things actually mean!

I don't object to his appearance, but I would like him a lot better if he was (a) smarter, and (b) more articulate.

And what's all this crap about teeny tiny thingies in the blood of Jedi knights that give them special abilities? What happened — were they bitten by a radioactive whomp rat or something? Shocked

However, I'm pleased to report that the article in Wikipedia put a new slant on the silly idea of the midi-chlorians.

The introduction of midi-chlorians — microscopic organisms that mediate use of the Force — in the film has been controversial among fans. Some viewed it as a concept that negates the Force's spiritual quality, although the film still portrays the Force as a mysterious entity using the midi-chlorians to communicate with living beings.

Film historian Daniel Dinello says, "Anathema to Star Wars fanatics who thought they reduced the Force to a kind of viral infection, midi-chlorians provide a biological interface, the link between physical bodies and spiritual energy.

Hmmm. So, the Force isn't created by the little whatchamacallits — the little whatchamacallits are created by the Force, It's sort of like the way the Force also created Anakin (with the help of Shmi Skywalker, the 2nd most famous "virgin birth" in history). Very Happy

Not bad.

Let's hope the upcoming Star Wars movie will have the benefit of a wise and trusted back-of-the-head slapper who won't let George stumble around thinking he can do no wrong this time.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:57 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, enough this HISHE is the least funny of the ones I've seen — just the opposite of the one for Return of the Jedi.

__How Star Wars The Phantom Menace Should Have Ended

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:32 am; edited 4 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jar Jar was used because Howard the Duck was busy filming Guardians!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here we go again! Good old Bud, wading through the 250 trivia items on IMDB to separate the gold from the dross, the wheat from the chaff, the truth from the BS for the members of All Sci-Fi, adding my own invaluable observations and unique insights, along with jpegs and Youtube videos.

Kinda makes you tingle all over, don't it! Oh yeah. Very Happy

That said, here we go.

During filming, Ewan McGregor made lightsaber noises as he dueled. It was noted and corrected during post-production.

Note from me: This one makes me giggle. Ewan was an excellent jedi, and the idea that he was so enthusiastic about the role that he made "Waaaw, waaw" sounds during the fights is just adorable!

20th Century Fox released the first trailer, with strict instructions that it not be shown before a certain date. When a Canadian movie theater accidentally showed it a day early, they lost the rights to show the movie.

Note from me: This must have been a crushing blow for Canadian Star Wars fans in that area . . . accept for Brent, who refuses to watch any of these movies!
Very Happy

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - Trailer

After the film's end credits finish rolling, the sound effect of Darth Vader's breathing can be heard.

Note from me: This was the first time we hear Vader's ominous asthmatic exhalations in the series, if you arrange the chapters in numerical order.

According to Star Wars canon, Obi-Wan's hanging braid is a Jedi tradition common to all Padawan Learners. When his Master feels that he has reached proper maturity, he cuts the braid with his lightsaber, signifying that the student is now a full Jedi Knight.

Note from me: I've been cutting my own hair about once a month with a Flowbee for twenty years! It's easy, free of charge, and much safer than using a light sabre! Shocked

Sets were built only as high as the tops of the actors' heads and computer graphics filled in the rest. Liam Neeson was so tall, that he cost the set crew an extra $150,000 in construction.

Note from me: And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, proves that bigger is not always better, not to mention proving that "size does matter".

Natalie Portman (Queen Amidala) missed the premiere party in New York City, because she had to go home to study for her high school final exams.

Note from me: Poor Natalie! Sad She could have called her high school principal and said, "Sir, if you let me take my exams a little late, I'll get you cameo in the next movie! And I'll introduce you to Jar-Jar Binx!"

During the first week of the first trailer's release, many theaters reported up to 75 percent of their audiences paying full price for a movie, then walking out after the Star Wars: Episode I trailer was shown.

Note from me: Hot damn, if the theater owners had known there was a market for the trailer, they could have advertised showings of it and run it hundreds of times each day! Shocked

Natalie Portman's voice was digitally enhanced to distinguish between Padm?? and Queen Amidala.

Note from me: Well crap, no wonder I can never tell when it's Natalie playing the queen!

Jake Lloyd has said that he retired from acting because of the trauma he experienced after playing Anakin Skywalker. According to Lloyd, other children constantly teased him about the role. For example they would make lightsaber sounds whenever he walked by. Lloyd also said that the situation was made worse because, in his opinion, the film did not meet the fans' expectations. Despite this, Lloyd has reprised the role of Anakin in several video games and has appeared at Star Wars conventions/events.

Note from me: Jake is right. He was not the right person for the role. Too young, too cute, and too unemotional. I've read that the production crew secretly referred to him as "Mannequin Skywalker". Very Happy

A few USC students took the Japanese LaserDisc and made their own edit of the movie. Contrary to popular belief, it does NOT cut out all scenes featuring Jar-Jar Binks, but does remove many of his sillier and more distracting moments, and makes many other minor tweaks. It became known as the "Phantom Edit". George Lucas requested to see a copy, and then Lucasfilm issued a press release reiterating that it is illegal to copy and/or edit a Lucasfilm property.

Note from me: One of these days we'll get a high quality DVD of this version. Disney won't pass up the chance to sell a version they didn't even have to make!

Ian McDiarmid was surprised, when George Lucas approached him sixteen years after Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983), to reprise the role of Palpatine, because he had assumed that a younger actor would play the part in the prequels.

Note from me: Seriously? Ian thought that a younger actor would be cast to play his character. . . who is older than dirt in Return of the Jedi and middle aged in The Phantom Menace? Shocked

In 1997, a fierce sandstorm destroyed several of the Tatooine sets in the desert outside Tozeur, Tunisia. Filming resumed two days later. George Lucas considered this a good omen, as the very same thing had happened during filming of the original Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977).

Note from me: Or, to put it another way, "The Force is strong with sand storms!" Rolling Eyes

Keira Knightley's parents tried to convince her not to audition, but the 12 year-old actress still sought a role, given she was a Star Wars fan.

Note from me: I'm impressed. The young lady who dazzled us in Pirates of the Carribean was also the "decoy" of Queen Amidala! The Force was strong this one! Very Happy

According to Jake Lloyd, there was a six-hour cut of the film that was screened for several people before the film was released, with those who saw it proclaiming it to be "mindbogglingly good". Like the later "Lost Cut" of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977), this cut has never been released publicly. that was screened for several people before the film was released, with those who saw it proclaiming it to be "mindbogglingly good". Like the later "Lost Cut" of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977), this cut has never been released publicly.

Note from me: This is an amazing statement! A a six-hour cut of the film that was "mindbogglingly good"? I don't believe this statement or the one about the "lost cut" of A New Hope.

Ewan McGregor, who plays Obi-Wan Kenobi, is the nephew of Denis Lawson, who played Rebel pilot Wedge Antilles in the original trilogy.

Note from me: One assumes from this that the Force is strong with both of them, since they're in the same family!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Wrote:

Quote:
According to Star Wars canon, Obi-Wan's hanging braid is a Jedi tradition common to all Padawan Learners. When his Master feels that he has reached proper maturity, he cuts the braid with his lightsaber, signifying that the student is now a full Jedi Knight.

This was also the sign in ancient Egypt of the rite of adulthood. Young boys also had a braided sidelock that was cut off during the rites of maturity. Alas that was not the only thing that was cut off as it was combined with the rite of circumcision.

Poor Obi-Wan!

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I've been cutting my own hair about once a month with Flowbee for twenty years!

You too? I'd be lost without mine. (I wonder if there's a Flowbee Facebook group.)

WayneO
-----------
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that Ewan McGregor is the nephew of the late Alec Guinness! It might explain why he got away with such snenanegins! (sp?)
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia doesn't mention that relationship, though it does say "His uncle is actor Denis Lawson and his aunt by marriage was actress Sheila Gish, which makes him a step-cousin of Gish's actress daughters, Kay Curram and Lou Gish," so he is the nephew of Wedge Antilles.

Elsewhere, one finds "Shenanigans are secret or dishonest activities that are typically complicated, humorous or interesting," which makes sense.
Wink
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

__ Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace Trailer #2

This is first prequel to Star Wars and the 1st chapter of a 6-part movie saga (though a 7th chapter is due in 2015). So, all we have here is basically an introduction to a 12-hour movie.

The film details the events which led to the Galaxy-wide Republic falling apart and being replaced by an eventual Empire (which does happen at the end of the 3rd chapter).

The film has several weaknesses which place it a notch below the original trilogy. The first is that, through the dictates of the plot, the story is just dull. The plot has to do with heavy taxes being perpetrated by the nasty Trade Federation, a coalition of greedy merchants who also place a blockade around the nice planet of Naboo. Two Jedi Knights (Liam Neeson & Ewan McGregor), the peacekeepers of the Republic, are sent to negotiate.

Neeson is the older teacher while McGregor plays the famous Obi-Wan Kenobi as a young man, the student. Unknown to them, the merchants are being manipulated by a mysterious Sith Lord, who appears as a hologram — this is the hidden menace, hence the title. Very quickly, things go bad and the Jedis are planet-side, teaming up with a goofy local named Jar Jar Binks as they head into the depths of a sea which holds an underwater community.

Jar Jar is the crux of the film's next weakness — a silly-talking computer creation designed to amuse the 10-year-olds in the audience. But, Jar Jar is only the one at the forefront; many of the other computer aliens are also laughable and embarrassing, including the leader of the water dwellers.

Instead of imperial stormtroopers, the soldiers here are dopey-looking robots which garble odd dialog like, "Roger, roger!" I can only surmise that George Lucas, the writer & director, has an odd sense of humor, because none of the attempts at humor work. It's all just strange and uncomfortable to watch.

The final major fault with this film is the acting, which is all flat. The story revolves around the plight of Queen Amidala (Natalie Portman), ruler of Naboo, who is dealing with her starving people (that's another issue — we never see these starving multitudes. It's all just hearsay).

Portman won an Oscar years later for another film and is usually interesting, but here she seems half-asleep and speakiong in a monotone for most of her scenes. Neeson & McGregor are mechanical, just saying their lines to get it done.

Then there is Jake Lloyd as very young Anakin Skywalker, the eventual father of Luke and future Darth Vader. To put it politely, he never rises above what is expected of an inexperienced child actor.

Translation: very amateurish.

The only one who rises above the mediocrity is Ian McDiarmid as Senator Palpatine — and he, of course, has something to hide. Also, Pernilla August as Anakin's mom shows genuine emotion. Terence Stamp has a small role as the chief politician of the Republic, and Samuel L. Jackson is a member of the Jedi Council. Yoda also appears, again voiced by Frank Oz with the usual backwards speech patterns.

Palpatine manipulates events so that he is elected chancellor, the first step in his plan to rule everything. The dark & tragic side of this is that Amidala, the heroine, is the one so manipulated. So, she is responsible for the eventual fall of the Republic.

The place where it does get interesting is on Coruscant, a planet-wide city and the center of the Republic. Here is where all the big issues are put forth and examined. Here we see the entire Jedi Council.

Lucas fills the screen with lots of detail, both in terms of visuals and backstory, and he invents a few more details which puzzle fans, such as the microscopic beings inside all creatures which make possible the use of "The Force" (a direct slant away from the mystical explanation to a scientific one).

He also presents his version of the immaculate birth, perhaps suggesting that every galaxy has such an event (or such a myth). Much like Amidala's missteps, the supposedly wise Jedi Master played by Neeson also mistakes Anakin for someone who will bring "balance to the Force" — a prophecy shifting things back to the mystical.

So, the Jedi Master is also responsible for the Republic's downfall. But this "balance" concept is not explained.

At the same time, there's a severe lack of character development, especially with the villain Darth Maul (Ray Park), about whom we learn nothing except that he's the student the Sith Lord and fights as well as Jedi Knights with a lightsaber.

The final fight is routine, even though much of the hook of this introductory chapter was to show full-powered Jedi Knights in their prime, something not possible in the original trilogy.

Finally, it seems that Lucas was compelled to draw a lot of connections between this prequel and the old films which take place in the future, some of which are clumsy and strained. For some reason, he felt compelled to introduce the incomplete version of robot C3PO as a creation of Anakin, so now we have the reveal that C3PO was made by Darth Vader. Was this necessary?

But the entire inclusion of the planet Tatooine falls into this category of clumsiness, as well. After they leave Naboo, the heroes are forced to stop off briefly at a nearby planet and that happens to be Tatooine. The Republic supposedly has thousands of worlds, but for some reason it's shown that Darth Vader also originated from Tatooine, an out-of-the-way region which I thought had nothing to do whatsoever with the Republic or the Empire until a chance incident at the start of Episode IV: A New Hope which brought Luke Skywalker's involvement in.

Suddenly, Tatooine is now the centerpiece of many major developments in this galaxy. Who woulda thought, eh?

However, this does coincide with some dialog in the 1st Star Wars (77), which did suggest that Luke Skywalker's father was also from Tatooine.

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

Phantom Trivia: the next chapter in the Star Wars saga was Attack of the Clones in 2002; it jumped ahead about 10 years. Though getting mixed reviews, The Phantom Menace was by far the biggest film at the box office in 1999; it grossed $431 million domestically; the next biggest film was The Sixth Sense, way below that number at $293 million.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Sun May 19, 2019 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fine review by BoG is mostly dead-on target, but I fould a few statements that inspired replies. Some of my comments below agree with BoG and some do not.

For example:

Bogmeister wrote:
The film has several weaknesses which place it a notch below the original trilogy. The first is that, through the dictates of the plot, the story is just dull.

Admittedly, a plot driven largely by political intrigue doesn't compare well with the first film, but we did get the pod race, the final battle, and the most amazing lightsabre fit the franchise presented, even to this day! Shocked

Bogmeister wrote:
Jar Jar is the crux of the film's next weakness — a silly-talking computer creation designed to amuse the 10-year-olds in the audience.

BoG is certainly right abot that. Jar Jar was a hugh miscalculation on Lucas' part, and it's hard to understand why he ever thought that was a good idea.

Bogmeister wrote:
Then there is Jake Lloyd as very young Anakin Skywalker, the eventual father of Luke and future Darth Vader. To put it politely, he never rises above what is expected of an inexperienced child actor.

I swear to God, folks, I dislike poor little Jake Lloyd's disastrous portrayal of Anakin Skywalker more than I dislike Jar Jar! That kid's acting was sleep inducing, to put it mildly.

What the hell was Lucas thinking! I read that the film crew secretly referred to Lloyd as "Mannequin Skywalker" because they all knew that wooden Indians had more talent than him.

The only good thing I can say about Jake is that he managed to lower our expectations for the actor playing this character in the next movie that when Hayden Christensen took over the role, he was actually and improvement! Rolling Eyes

Bogmeister wrote:
Lucas fills the screen with lots of detail, both in terms of visuals and backstory, and he invents a few more details which puzzle fans, such as the microscopic beings inside all creatures which make possible the use of "The Force" (a direct slant away from the mystical explanation to a scientific one).

Jeez, what a humiliating demotion The Force got between A New Hope and The Phantom Menace! It went from "an energy field created by all living thing. It surrounds us and penetrates us . . . it binds the galaxy together," — to a bunch of microbial creatures in a Jedi's bloodstream that could be detected and "counted" with an electronic gizmo!

Does that mean a Jedi could go the Red Cross on Coruscant and get a transfusion of Midi-chlorian-rich blood donate by a civic-minded Jedi and bump up his Force level! Shocked

I can't help but wonder if George Lucas was so immersed in a crowd of loyal yes men that nobody ever said anything like this:

"Hey, George, if Midi-chlorians are teeny-tiny creatures in a Jedi's bloodstream, can doctors extract them and grow them in a Petri dish? And can those doctors then genetically engineer a super-Midi-chlorian which gives a Jedi powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal Jedi?"

No wonder George Lucas proclaimed in 1977 that Star Wars was not "science fiction", it was a "space fantasy". Having said that, I guess we should blame him for not subjecting his plot elements to the same strict standards of logic and science that we here at All Sci-Fi apply to the movies we love.

Bogmeister wrote:
The final fight is routine, even though much of the hook of this introductory chapter was to show full-powered Jedi Knights in their prime, something not possible in the original trilogy.

Uh . . . what? If BoG is referring to the lightsabre battle between Darth Maul and the two Jedi? If that epic confrontation and it's tragic end didn't blow BoG away, I have no idea what actually would have impressed him! Shocked

Bogmeister wrote:
But the entire inclusion of the planet Tatooine falls into this category of clumsiness, as well . . . The Republic supposedly has thousands of worlds, but for some reason it's shown that Darth Vader also originated from Tatooine . . . However, this does coincide with some dialog in the 1st Star Wars (77), which did suggest that Luke Skywalker's father was also from Tatooine.

I agree that The Phantom Menace deliberately took us back to Tatooine to give us a "class reunion" from the first movie, but the Star Wars Radio Adaption of A New Hope way back in the 1981 included dialog by Obi-wan Knobi which stated that Tatooine's place in the destiny of galaxy was determined by The Force.

However, BoG is mistaken when he said that dialog in Star Wars suggested that Darth Vader was from Tatooine. Obi-wan Kenobi came to live on Tatoonine to watch over the infant Luke Skywalker, but there's no reason to relive that he or Darth Vader ever visited Tatooine prior to that.

So, BoG is correct in saying that this movie's return to Tatooine was manufactured for the fans of the first film, but it doesn't seem to have any bases in prior movies which suggest that Tatoonine is the birth place of Darth Vader.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maurice
Mission Specialist

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe IMDb trivia. It's frequently pants.

Bud Brewster wrote:
Sets were built only as high as the tops of the actors' heads and computer graphics filled in the rest. Liam Neeson was so tall, that he cost the set crew an extra $150,000 in construction.

Exaggeration. You can't build a set only "as high as the actors' heads" because unless they are right up against the wall in question basic perspective means their heads will be higher in frame than the wall tops. Anyway, a cursory look at behind the scenes photos shows the lie in that. They had plenty of partial sets though.

Bud Brewster wrote:
A few USC students took the Japanese LaserDisc and made their own edit of the movie....

Note from me: One of these days we'll get a high quality DVD of this version. Disney won't pass up the chance to sell a version they didn't even have to make!

Not going to happen. Very Happy

Bud Brewster wrote:
In 1997, a fierce sandstorm destroyed several of the Tatooine sets in the desert outside Tozeur, Tunisia. Filming resumed two days later. George Lucas considered this a good omen, as the very same thing had happened during filming of the original Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977).

If I recall correctly, it was a storm with rain, not a sandstorm. There's video of the aftermath.

Bud Brewster wrote:
According to Jake Lloyd, there was a six-hour cut of the film that was screened for several people before the film was released...

Doubt it. The script's not long enough for a 6 hour cut. First assemblies tend to be long because they're everything and not cut tightly, but 6 hours? Nah.

Last edited by Maurice on Thu May 23, 2019 2:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimi said it was a virgin birth.....That's her story and she's sticking to it!
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Maul's demise came from a 1989 Rutger Hauer movie, "Blind Fury".

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: