ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brainstorm (1983)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Brainstorm (1983) Reply with quote

__

The concept this movie presents has fascinated me for decades. In fact, I've got an unpublished novel set in the near-future, when Walkman-sized devices are sold commercially and used to record all the sensory input experienced by the wearer so he can "play back the event" any time he wants.

I actually had the idea before this movie came out, because for several years I carried this gizmo with me to cookouts and restaurant get-togethers with sci-fi loving friends who didn't mind the recordings I made of our lively discussions about the subjects we loved.

I've got about 200 tapes of such events, and because of the built-in stereo mics, the recordings have good left/right separation, so when I listen to them it's like being there with my buddies.

It occurred to me while writing the book that if devices like the one in Brainstorm were made small enough to carry around like my recorder, people could save experiences they enjoyed and play them back.

Any experiences.

As often as they wanted.

Which means they could get addicted to these experiences -- just like the lab assistant in "Brainstorm" did when he made the tape loop of the young man having sex with the hot gal.

Did this occur to anyone else when they saw this movie?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:55 am; edited 8 times in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen this film, but it sounds like you were a bit ahead of your time with recorder. Today you'd carry around your cell phone doing video and "selfies", then upload it to YouTube as a "vlogger". A lot of people seem to be somewhat obsessed with producing just such works and millions of viewers follow them. I'll have admit I follow a few myself.

Maybe it's just a matter of time until YouTube adds "sensory" output to it's audio and video streams.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Jones wrote:
I've never seen this film, but it sounds like you were a bit ahead of your time with recorder.

It's gratifying to talk about this to someone who understands and appreciates it! Very Happy For years I've referred to myself as "the world's only practicing time traveler".

In 1986 I took the family to Disney World and wore the recorder on my hip the whole time. I had extra batteries and plenty of tapes. I recorded 15 hours of my wife and kids (ages 6 and 3) as we walked around laughing and talking and enjoying the rides.

The kids sat between me and my wife on the rides, and I'd put my arm across the back of the seat so I could hold the recorder between them and slightly behind.

On the tape you can hear my daughter's voice on one side and my son's on the other, close to the mic and clearly audible -- despite the rich sounds of the music and sound effects from the rides.

Listening to all this with headphones is like being at Disney World, riding on the Pirates of the Caribbean, with my kids on each side of me, giggling and talking about all the wild stuff we see as we float along in the boat.

You might think just listening to it wouldn't be all that impressive -- but when you've got the stereo recording to stimulate your memory, your brain creates the visuals in full HD.

And don't forget, as a proud father the real stars of the show are my adorable children and their enthusiastic reactions. Trust me, the surprising results are far better than something like this.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1969 I bought my first battery powered cassette recorder. I took it with me on a family trip to see my elderly grandparents. While the family sat around the dinner table discussing the recent moon landing I secretly recorded all words spoken. Today long after my parents and grandparent's deaths, that's recording is an absolute treasure to me. It really is like traveling back in time.
ralfy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating story, especially the ending.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky' story is wonderful. We're true kindred spirits, Mr. Jones!

My grandchildren are now the age my kids were back then. Time marches on, and it runs right over anybody standing in the way — even " practicing time travelers" like us.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One feature of the movie was that it combined conventional and Imax formats. The regular scenes used the conventional frame, while the "recorded experience" scenes were Imax. So when the "recordings" were being played back, the viewers in the theater had a "larger than life" experience. Unfortunately, the video release doesn't attempt to reproduce this effect in any fashion, although some technical tricks are certainly now available to differentiate between the environments.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact the DVD reduces the "normal" scenes to a smaller size with a black border around it -- something I hate.

Scenes that were supposed to be enhanced when the audience experienced them in the theater are presented as distorted by a fish-eye lens on the TV. Are we supposed to awed by the fact that our TV image is suddenly NOT reduced in size and surround by the black border?

It's a misguided bastardization of the original concept that mars the movie when you view it. When I watch my DVD, I zoom the picture in to remove the damn black border, and I reconcile myself to missing portions of the frame during the "recorded experience" scenes, because I had to zoom in and loose the edges of the image at those parts of the movie.

But I'm still stuck with the dumb fish-eye lens distortion in those scenes!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The theatrical trailer below is very impressive. It really inspires a person to watch this unique movie. Cool

________________ Brainstorm (1983) Trailer

And Putlocker offers an excellent version for streaming or download. Very Happy

______________________ Brainstorm (1983)

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a fan-made trailer for The Last Starfighter (1984) on the thread for that movie, and the trailer had this amusing message at the beginning.

I wondered just how true the claim at the bottom was, so I made a list of 1980s science fiction films that I thought were good, just to see if that decade really did produce a significant number of “the best” sci-fi movies.

This movie is on the list I made. I know what I like about the film (and a few things I don’t like), but I’d like to hear the pros and cons from the rest of you folks.

So, what do you think, guys? Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: