ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What really happens when you get sucked out of an airlock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: What really happens when you get sucked out of an airlock Reply with quote

For all of our sci-fi writers out there . . .

Death by vacuum has become a hallmark of modern space cinema. 2001, Total Recall, Outland, Armageddon, every one of the Aliens series — no movie set outside Earth's atmosphere is complete without somebody getting sucked out of an airlock, tearing their suit, or otherwise being subjected to the vacuous extremes of space.

However, every film seems to find new and inventive ways for people to expire. Some go by explosive decompression — Quaid had his eyes nearly burst in Total Recall, and the construction worker from Outland had his head explode outright. Still others simply flash freeze into meat Popsicles (a la Event Horizon). So which is it?

Well, a bit of both, actually.

Thankfully, the effects depicted in films are exaggerated in both magnitude and speed. You do not, in fact, instantly freeze or explode — heat transfers too slowly for that. Nor does your blood immediately boil, thanks to the resilience of your cutaneous system. You do not immediately fry to a crisp by unadulterated solar radiation, though you will get one hell of a sunburn. No, no, you have good ten to fifteen seconds with which to freak out before you begin to black out — and a solid two minutes or so before you fully expire . . .

Gizmodo Link:
http://gizmodo.com/5924522/what-really-happens-when-you-get-sucked-out-of-an-airlock

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on all I read above, it sounds like the scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey did it exactly right. Dave Bowman arranged his dramatic entrance into the ship without a helmet perfectly.

He increased the air pressure in the pod so that when he opened the hatch the air would explode into the airlock and push him out while filling the airlock briefly with air. He was pushed into the airlock by this air, and then he quickly closed the ship's hatch and caused the airlock to be flooded with air from the ship.

To me, this is the best scene in the entire movie. A man thinks his way out of a dangerous situation. I love it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll revive this discussion with a little "mouth-to-mouth" resuscitation.

You know, I'll talk about it a little, then you talk a little, then I'll talk . . . well, you get the idea. Very Happy

How many movies can we name (and post pictures from) that included scenes of rapid decompression. I'll start us off with this classic scene. I'll let the next guy who posts name this movie.

Okay, who's next? Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat May 26, 2018 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought that Ross Martin's character died of rapid decompression. I thought that he died from the space equivalent of a gunshot wound from the meteor.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I'll let the next guy who posts name this movie.

Since Krel passed up the opportunity, I'll take the bait.

Conquest of Space

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I never thought that Ross Martin's character died of rapid decompression. I thought that he died from the space equivalent of a gunshot wound from the meteor.

I'm pretty sure that both those unpleasant fates befell poor Ross. And since he lived long enough to scream after his suit was punctured, the decompression might have been the cause of death, rather than the small meteoroid.

If he'd been "shot" through the heart, he wouldn't have screamed. Right?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the scene(s) that showed him floating lifelessly at the end of his tether, wasn't the faceplate covered in blood? If so (I'm too lazy to actually go check it out at the moment) that would seem to indicate decompression as the intended cause of death. Anybody remember where he was hit?

I'll check the movie later today after my beauty sleep (which isn't working).

WayneO
-----------
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, your picture of Bowman entering the Discovery's airlock is upside-down. Almost everyone posts it that way because of our natural inclinations due to our gravitic bias.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
Bud, your picture of Bowman entering the Discovery's airlock is upside-down. Almost everyone posts it that way because of our natural inclinations due to our gravitic bias.

I'm sorry, Dave, you are mistaken. Please allow me to replay that scene on your monitor to demonstrate my point.

As you can see in the video, the body is sucked out of the pod face-down and head-first. Unlike the photo above, he doesn't even emerge from the misty cloud until he's very near the camera. In fact, there is no moment in the scene that actually resembles the above picture.

The photo is apparently from a different take of the scene than the one used in the movie. It looks as if the explosion of mist was trigger slightly after Keir Dullea shot towards us, so that the cloud is expanding behind him — instead of blocking our view of him until he is much closer to the camera, the way it appears in the movie itself.

When he goes sailing back towards the airlock, there is no trace of the mist left in the air, so the picture couldn't be from the moment he floated back to the hatch.

Note to Wayne: Nope, no blood in the helmet. The meteoroid punches Ross just below the rib cage on his left side. A light gray cloud explodes out from the impact point, indicating decompression.

There's no shot of Ross' helmet after the one shown above. He just screams and then floats away until the safety line stops him.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Note to Wayne: Nope, no blood in the helmet. The meteoroid punches Ross just below the rib cage on his left side. A light gray cloud explodes out from the impact point, indicating decompression.

There's no shot of Ross' helmet after the one shown above. He just screams and then floats away until the safety line stops him.

Go to the 7:45 mark in this YouTube clip and watch the scene.

Thanks, Bud. How about at 8:15 or 9:45?

If not, then here at 0:26: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHBeMC_-tCQ ?

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Thanks, Bud. How about at 8:15 or 9:45?

The helmet visor might look red in those scenes, but I can't be sure.

However, it seems to me that when the air escaped through the hole below his ribs, any blood that shot out of the wound would be sucked out of the hole, not travel up into his helmet. After all, the air in his helmet would be sucked out (downward), and push the blood out the hole in the suit.

And besides, the wound would freeze (or boil, I forget which) a few seconds later.

So, I would suggest that there's no blood in the helmet.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The helmet visor might look red in those scenes, but I can't be sure.

Conveniently, Photobucket is down, so I can't post anything showing just how RED that visor is. Wink

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the most likely cause of blood in the helmet?

Would it be massive internal damage from the meteoroid, causing blood to be sucked up his windpipe and then out of his nose and mouth when the air in the suit rushed out?

Or would it be the rupturing of the tissue in his head, which would also be pulled out of this nose and mouth by the vacuum in his suit?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
What would be the most likely cause of blood in the helmet?

In the hype of 1950s (and later) sci-fi, his head and body explode in the vacuum.

bulldogtrekker wrote:
Some go by explosive decompression — Quaid had his eyes nearly burst in Total Recall, and the construction worker from Outland had his head explode outright.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but the article that started this thread straightened us out about that. I was wondering which situation might have actually caused blood to spout out and plaster the visor.

Either of the ways I mentioned seem reasonable, and they aren't mutually exclusive either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: