ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Genesis II (1973 TV movie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for bringing up the belly button subject again after it had already been discussed in this thread, but I forget about those posts, and when I found the IMDB trivia item below, I thought I add a comment to give this thread a bump. Very Happy

The science fiction justification for Lyra-a (Mariette Hartley) and other Tyranians having two navels is that they have redundant circulatory systems. However, Gene Roddenberry joked that the behind-the-scenes reason was to make up for the covered navels mandated by network and studio censors during the production of the original Star Trek (1966).

If I'd caught my error before scotspen added his fine reply, I'd have just deleted mine.
Embarassed
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always saw Mariette in the role of Edith Keeler on the ST:TOS classic episode "The City On The Edge Of Forever" more than Joan Collins.

Joan did a fine enough job but somehow Mariette would have been just perfect.

Last edited by Pow on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it have been intriguing to see an episode of Genesis II/Planet Earth where the subterranean shuttle train travels via a clear tube to a city beneath the sea?

Or at least a scientific outpost or colony of some kind?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous idea, Pow! Cool

If the series were done today with a sizable budget and modern special effects, the world could be portrayed as part futuristic and part post-apocalyptic.

The struggle between the folks living in Tomorrowland (so to speak) and the people in the primitive areas of the world would make interesting stories. Very Happy
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea if someone was to produce a reboot of this pilot would be to set PAX itself in an undersea city, instead of in caverns (Genesis II), or buildings on the surface (Planet Earth).

Humankind will have created such astonishing habitats for scientific exploration of the oceans, growing food on the vast undersea terrain, environmental restoration, and so forth. Such cities have fortunately survived the devastation that took place on the continents. There would be numerous such habitats, since other nations have constructed their own such cities. . . and not all are done for noble purposes.

Some of these nations work together for good, some for their own evil goals. These cities can come in large, medium, and small. Adventures can now take place under the seas, or on the surface of the earth, giving a broader scope to the stories.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas! Very Happy

In fact, a series set under the sea is something I've talked about in numerous posts. I think a series like the one you described — with stories set both under the sea and on land— would be more interesting than the purely land-based TV series we actually got.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: