ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Mad Ghoul (1943)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: The Mad Ghoul (1943) Reply with quote

That's right, George Zucco plays yet another mad you-know-what, a role for which he was born.

In this one he's gleefully sadistic, using his new mind control vapor to turn a good man into a pale, blank-faced automaton who obediently robs graves and pilfers vital organs. David Bruce is the good-guy-turned-slave, and he does more than just walk around stiffly with his arms outstretched -- a good performance in an unconventional role.

Evelyn Ankers is the heroine, Bruce's finance', until she falls in love with pianist Turhan Bey. Hot on the trail of Zucco and his mindless minion is a police detective, played by Robert Armstrong ("King Kong"). Armstrong sets a clever trap for the zombie by lying in a coffin and posing as a tempting corpse (ghoul bait!).

Spooky thrills and good imagination bolster this overlooked little gem, one of the better "Zucco the Mad Scientist" films. Directed by James Hogan.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a great film, IMO, but it's certainly good enough to watch. Personally, I don't think Zucco got half the recognition he deserved. Not to mention, he was pretty under utilized.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really relevant to the movie, but whenever I see certain names in the movie credits I think of one of MAD Magazine's pokes. Among the prizes to be awarded for a mock contest they listed "autographed 8x10 glossy photos of Regis Toomey and Turhan Bey".

I'm poisoned for life.

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an addendum to the above, I find Regis Toomey mentioned in the threads for Burke's Law, Shannon, and VTTBOTS.

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Bruce said that Universal Pictures legend Jack Pierce created the make-up for him. "My skin was green and I was given bright red hair, not that you can see it in black-&-white. The false skin applied to my face was murder to have it removed, it caused me bleeding. My wife was aghast when I came home at night from the studio when she saw my bloody face." Wikipedia.

Only Universal horror film to touch upon the subject of Zombies. IMDB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: