ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Futureworld (1976)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Futureworld (1976) Reply with quote

Yul Brynner makes a brief appearance as the black-clad gunfighter robot in this enjoyable sequel to "Westworld", about a new section of Delos, the adult theme park with fantasy-indulging robots.

The new section caters to science fiction fantasies (great idea!), but two reporters (Peter Fonda, Blythe Danner) discover that look-alike robots are replacing world leaders as part of a plot to rule the world. Nicely done.

Directed by Richard T. Heffron.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't crazy about the first film and this one impressed me even less. I should probably give them both another chance. Very Happy

_______________ Futureworld (1976) - trailer

_________

Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sequel to Westworld (1973). Peter Fonda and Blythe Danner star as two intrepid journalists who are invited to the rebuilt Delos resort/adult amusement park by the top exec (Arthur Hill). Chuck (Fonda) smells a rat because a contact of his was killed just as he was about to give him some information.

Sure enough, the reporters soon uncover a plot to replace the leaders of the world with bio-manufactured duplicates. That's the twist; it's no longer robots but the then-new cloning gambit.

See also: Scream and Scream Again/1970 for a similar plot, as well as a few sci-fi seventies films about cloning. However, some robots do show up.

I admire the film for trying to go in a different direction, rather than just duplicating the first film's plot, but here's a case where I wish they stuck with some of the visceral bite of the original.

The story again touches on the possibilities of a society indulging in decadence with the escalation of technology, but it's a perfunctory sidelight here. The story focuses more on the investigative thriller angle — on this nefarious plot to take over the world — but the reasons for this diabolical scheme are never really explained.

Some of the concepts seemed outlandish back then — the clones. But they're more relevant now and the advances in entertainment since then, included in places like Disneyworld-Epcot, makes this somewhat more topical.

There are also some bizarre, hard-to-explain sequences. At one point, a trio of samurai warriors materialize and chase the 2 reporters. Were these holograms?

Still, there are good things. The reporters are like a hip version of Clark Kent & Lois Lane. Chuck's pet name for his partner is "Socks" — they start out as adversarial but warm to each other.

One robot (see pic above) is named Clark, btw, as an homage to the "Man of Steel". Stuart Margolin plays an on-site maintenance man who has an interesting relationship with this robot.

There are some brief, intriguing bits about future gaming, like a holographic chess game (a year before a similar scene in Star Wars). And there is a good shocker of a revelation during a struggle. The finale, when Chuck gives a salute to the main villain, is a crowd-pleaser.

But, overall, it's slow — even the climactic chase when the reporters are battling their evil duplicates.

Another clear example of failing to utilize the best ingredients of the first film is the appearance of the gunslinger robot character (Yul Brynner). When I first went to see this in the theater, I expected the gunslinger to be unveiled in one scene as a last resort weapon of the main villain. Instead, it's not even the actual gunslinger we see here — it's an imaginary version presented in a strange dream sequence as part of the female reporter's fantasy.

I think this sequence is the main reason most fans deride this sequel. This was the last screen appearance of actor Brynner.

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Sun May 19, 2019 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogmeister wrote:

I think [the dream sequence] is the main reason most fans deride this sequel. This was the last screen appearance of actor Brynner.

I wonder if Yul Brynner actually showed up for any of the filming of Futureworld. I have always suspected that his dream scene was mostly a bunch of stiched together outakes from the Westworld movie. From the director's point of view, it may have seemed like a cheap way to add a (relatively) Big Name to the cast.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:

I wonder if Yul Brynner actually showed up for any of the filming of Futureworld. I have always suspected that his dream scene was mostly a bunch of stitched together outakes from the Westworld movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LidfkbW68

Watch the clip. Starting at the 2:15 mark, Brynner and Blythe Danner appear together on camera.

"Sweetheart, is that a gun in your pocket . . .?"

Still a pretty cheap bait-and-switch, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: