ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971 England)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971 England) Reply with quote

______

From Hammer studios comes this odd variation on the Jekyll/Hyde plot; Dr. Jekyll turns into a woman when he becomes Hyde.

Director Roy Ward Baker ("Five Million Years to Earth"), makes the idea work by carefully selecting two stars who bear a remarkable resemblance to each other (Ralph Bates as the doctor and Martine Beswick as the woman he turns into).

This and an effective transformation scene really help the viewer accept the film's outrageous premise. The ads were designed to ballyhoo the sex-change aspect of the film so boldly that they make it sound much more lurid than it really is. One ad says, "Parents: Be sure your children are sufficiently mature to witness the intimate details of this frank and revealing film".

It was given a PG rating in 1971, so you can guess how "shocking" it really is.

More important is the fact that Bates and Beswick do a first rate job with the script by co-producer Brian Clemens. Clemens served as a writer for the popular British TV show "The Avengers". Miss Beswick can also be seen in "One Million Years B.C." and "Prehistoric Women".

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:45 pm; edited 7 times in total
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this at a drive-in when it was new. It was one of those lovely occasions when my diminished expectations were pleasantly o'erturned. I mean...DR. JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE? Come on...gotta be lousy, right? I figured, at best, I'd get some giggles from the silliness.

But the dang thing was actually pretty good. I'm still not sure how they managed that.

As you said, both Ralph Bates and Martine Beswicke were top-notch in their roles.

This would rank, in my eyes, as the best of Hammer's three Jekyll and Hyde flicks. And what a surprise that is.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, through the miracle of science, we give you this terrifying glimpse into the strange world of . . .

_______________Dr. Jekyll and Sister Act! _

No, wait . . . Sorry, that's the upcoming remake with Whoopi Goldberg and Ted Danson. Embarassed

I meant to say —

_________Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971 Trailer)

Hey, the casting of the remake might just be a stroke of geniu!

By day he mixes strange concoctions which rob men of their ability to reason clearly and drive home safely!

By night he is . . . a nun in disguise, hiding from murderous mobsters!

______________Dr. Malone and Sister Deloris!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: