ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to see an updated design for the Seaview for a new film or TV show.

Like the way the Enterprise was updated for ST:TMP as compared the look of the starship from the 1966 TV series.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this, perhaps?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that works very nicely, Bud.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even remember where I found it, but a Google image search would probably make it easy to trace down.

It reminds me of what they did with the design of the Enterprise in the TNG movies for "First Contact" and "Insurrection" — make all the angles more extreme for an "aerodynamic" look.

Actually, I like the original Seaview better. The super-sleek design of this one would make it look like it was going too slow if they showed it cruising along at a reasonable speed — and if they made it go faster, it would would look completely unrealistic!
Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
...if they made it go faster, it would would look completely unrealistic! Sad

That never seemed to stop (or slow down) Irwin Allen. Most views of the Seaview cruising on the surface look like it's planing like a speedboat.

Bud Brewster wrote:
I don't even remember where I found it, but a Google image search would probably make it easy to trace down.

Here 'tis:

http://deboerhulls.com/model-kits/concept-II/

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, I like it better than I thought after seeing this new picture. The other one was shot with a lens that allowed the Seaview to have an exaggerated (and very dramatic) perspective, and it makes the sub look a little too long and streamlined.

This picture presents the proportions better.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The other one was shot with a lens that allowed the Seaview to have an exaggerated (and very dramatic) perspective, and it makes the sub look a little too long and streamlined.

It also made it look like the boat had two rows of windows instead of just one! Shocked

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't realize the page your link led to had pictures of two versions of the Seaview. Here's the version I posted a picture of earlier, with eight ports instead of two.

This shot also makes the design look a tad overly streamlined, partly because of the dramatic viewing angle.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
...if they made it go faster, it would would look completely unrealistic! Sad

That never seemed to stop (or slow down) Irwin Allen. Most views of the Seaview cruising on the surface look like it's planing like a speedboat.

That isn't because it's moving at an unrealistic speed, though -- it's because the sub is riding way too high in the water.

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shot reminds me of something I read somewhere that the spfx technicians would add detergent to the water in the tank so it would foam up as though the water was really being churned up by a big vessel to give the model the impression of size.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
That isn't because it's moving at an unrealistic speed, though -- it's because the sub is riding way too high in the water.

Hey, you're right! I never thought about that, and it does the same thing in the movie as well. The pictures I found online indicate that subs float at about this level.

But I found these great pictures with a Goggle search, the first two of which show a more realistic water line.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, the Seaview model rides high in the water on the surface because the bow Manta fins pushed the bow up. That was a problem underwater also. When towed, the bow would want to go up.

For the surface scenes, the Seaview model was on a frame that had tubes in front of the bow. These tubes would pump detergent infused water against the bow to produce the foam wake.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Supposedly, the Seaview model rides high in the water on the surface because the bow Manta fins pushed the bow up. That was a problem underwater also. When towed, the bow would want to go up.

Hey, right, that makes perfect sense. I'll bet a little modification of the manta fins would correct that problem without changing the appearance of the Seaview too much.

I'd love to see BTS pictures of that soap injector at work under the water in front of the sub.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I'll bet a little modification of the manta fins would correct that problem without changing the appearance of the Seaview too much.

They had so many different size miniatures, if the manta fins caused the problem they might just as well have made a finless version for the surface shots. But since we do have shots from the earlier episodes showing it cruising on the surface at a proper level, I would venture to say that the manta fin report is an urban legend, and they just wanted to show off the bow windows. There are just too many ways the alleged problem could have been remedied if they wanted to.

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
They had so many different size miniatures, if the manta fins caused the problem they might just as well have made a finless version for the surface shots. But since we do have shots from the earlier episodes showing it cruising on the surface at a proper level, I would venture to say that the manta fin report is an urban legend, and they just wanted to show off the bow windows. There are just too many ways the alleged problem could have been remedied if they wanted to.

I think that you are right, they just wanted to make sure that the windows were seen. Thinking back, if you look at some of the shots of the four window Seaview, just sitting on the surface, motionless in the surface tank, it is still bow high.

But I disagree about the manta fin report being an urban legend. Articles have quoted the effects people saying so. But like you said, there are ways around such problems. If they wanted to go through the trouble, and expense of correcting it, and you are always rolling the dice on that with IA. Laughing

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: