ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Der Tunnel / Le Tunnel (1933)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Der Tunnel / Le Tunnel (1933) Reply with quote

Der Tunnel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDElHkNCDL4

And a 13 year old article from my long gone website (mainly on the source material)...

"The Tunnel" by Bernhard Kellerman

"Kellermann's famous novel Der Tunnel was published in 1913 and was filmed for the first time in 1914-1915 for Union, with William Wauer directing, Friedrich Kayssler and Fritzi Massary in the lead roles, and sets by Hermann Warm." - from the UFA Story by Klaus Kreimeier. When I read these words, I quickly knew that I had a new novel on my reading list to add to my noble but lonesome quest to read all of the silent film sci fi tie-ins possible.

There are conflicting thoughts as to whether this early silent still exists or not. The book was later adapted in the 30s in several forms. Der Tunnel / Le Tunnel were essentially the same film done for German and French audiences respectively. Transatlantic Tunnel was done in Great Britain. To my mind, each of these later films manages to capture certain aspects of the novel but not all of them. I have to imagine that the same holds true for the obscure earlier film.

SPOILERS

That's because Kellermann managed to deliver an intricately woven story that succeeds on so many levels. He paints a picture of the near future where a Channel Tunnel and The Behring Straits Tunnel already exist, express airships make an "entire journey of eight hundred miles to New York in eight hours", mono-rail electric railways link Chicago to St. Louis and theater tickets cost $200. He develops well the main character "Mac Allan" and his rise from orphaned mineworker to fanatical workaholic. With each page, you're also drawn more and more into the worker's life in the Tunnel Cities, the financial maneuvers used by the Tunnel Syndicate to fund the 15 year venture and the inevitable triangle that ensues between Mac Allan, his neglected wife and his best friend "Hobby".

(In spite of the fairly accurate predictions made, one falls flat on its face. To quote: "It was unnecessary to talk about airships, for there could be no question of their being available for general traffic." This is in reference to crossing the Atlantic. Of course, without this premise, there could be no story.)

The tunnel across the Atlantic is finally completed but not without tragic delays. There is a severe accident. It leaves Hobby a shell of a man and kills hundreds of workers. In a resultant revolt against Mac Allan, a mob of the worker's survivors mercilessly murder his wife and daughter. Mac Allan, after a period of resignation, marries again and also begins the project again.

The Tunnel by Bernhard Kellerman: Highly recommended.

Footnote for film fans: The whole construction of the Tunnel is filmed (fictitiously, of course) by the Edison Biograph company for the purpose of publicizing the work in newsreels.

written: 9/18/2002"

BTW, I've learned that the silent version most definitely does exist. Cinematography-wise it is as good as the later films but - having said that - this early take is very ponderous.

The silent version is truly based upon the novel and shouldn't be confused with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJtIR-eBc14

Steverino

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: