ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horrors From Screen to Scream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Reference Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Horrors From Screen to Scream Reply with quote

HORRORS FROM SCREEN TO SCREAM by Ed Naha

Published by Avon Books, 1975 * Softcover* 306 pgs.

This sounds like a reference on horror films, but it also covers all science fiction & fantasy (at least it seems like all) since the film genres began (circa 1910 or so) through 1974. The last films covered, released in 1974, are Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, Arnold and Zardoz.

The listing is alphabetical, with each letter of the alphabet beginning a new chapter of sorts. You can see a typical page above — yes, it has dinosaurs — it's a simple, straightforward format; each title is followed by the releasing studio and year underneath in italics, followed by a plot summary and brief commentary. Then the main actors are listed and the director's name. The photos, in b&w, are pretty much on every other page.

This was probably the first reference book on science fiction I purchased. I thought it was a terrific read back then and still do. It really opened up my eyes (and mind) to the wide world of Sci-Fi and Horror.

Oh, I'd seen quite a few of the films by then on TV, on such shows as 'Creature Features' Saturday nights, hosted by Bob Wilkins and then John Stanley (who wrote his own reference tome later).

But about half the films in the book I had never seen at that point, and quite a few I'd never even heard of until then. There are probably more than a couple I'm still waiting on.

Back then, in the 2nd half of the seventies, invariably a night would come along when one of these unseen films would be broadcast. Whoo, I'd think, is that in the book? (of course, it was). All right! Time to see it!

The book also has a few preeminent famed genre actors listed, such as Boris Karloff & Chris Lee. A page is usually devoted to their bio. Karloff gets the biggest write-up and several pages of photos.

Ray Harryhausen only gets half a page. Several studios, like Hammer films, have write ups as well.

Ed Naha, who grew up on the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine and 'Shock Theater',' wrote many books after this, but, in some ways, this is his best, a pure piece of work. You can find it on Amazon.com, probably sold by guys who, like me, bought it over 30 years ago.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, after 39 years you can still buy this book from Amazon! I used to have a borrowed copy, but eventually my friend wanted it back, darn it.

I'm impressed. Ed Naha must be pretty proud of this durable little gem.
Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Reference Books All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: