ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Man From U. N. C. L. E. (2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
THRUSH (Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity)

Given that definition, I get the feeling THRUSH has won.

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
THRUSH (Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity)

Given that definition, I get the feeling THRUSH has won.

That was made up by David McDaniels for his U.N.C.L.E. novels, in the tv show it was just Thrush. I can't remember if it was in the book on the tv show, or an interview with Sam Rolf, where it was said that Thrush is an old definition for 'death rattle'. They were looking for something that was unusual for the show.

David.
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They showed this on AMC last night, I had watched it on the FX channel last year, and I have to say I was wrong.

I said that it would be an entertaining and exciting action movie. It was none of those. There were only one scene that might have come from the TV show, that is where Solo, when realizing that he has been drugged, makes himself comfortable. The only other scene I liked, was where one of the bad guys is was killed by his own device.

In the movie U.N.C.L.E. was a code name, not an organization. They could have easily changed that at the ending, by having Waverly reveal that they have been working for a covert law enforcement agency the whole time as a test for membership.

So much missed opportunity.

David.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame "THRUSH" doesn't really stand for anything. Wikipedia does have the details...

Quote:
U.N.C.L.E.'s primary adversary was THRUSH (WASP in the pilot movie). The original series never divulged who or what THRUSH represented, nor was it ever used as an acronym. In the U.N.C.L.E. novels written by David McDaniel it is the Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity, described as having been founded by Col. Sebastian Moran after the death of Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls in the Sherlock Holmes story, "The Final Problem". But in a second season episode, guest star Jessie Royce Landis plays a character who claims that she founded THRUSH.

THRUSH's aim was to conquer the world. THRUSH was considered so dangerous an organization that even governments who were ideologically opposed to each other – such as the United States and the Soviet Union – had cooperated in forming and operating the U.N.C.L.E. organization. Similarly, when Solo and Kuryakin held opposing political views, the friction between them in the story was held to a minimum. Although executive producer Norman Felton and Ian Fleming conceived Napoleon Solo, it was the producer Sam Rolfe who created the global U.N.C.L.E. hierarchy, and he included the Soviet agent, Illya Kuryakin. Unlike the CIA or MI6, U.N.C.L.E. was a global organization of agents from many countries and cultures.

The tie-in to Sherlock Holmes is a bit interesting! Very Happy
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
It's a shame "THRUSH" doesn't really stand for anything. Wikipedia does have the details...

Quote:
U.N.C.L.E.'s primary adversary was THRUSH (WASP in the pilot movie). The original series never divulged who or what THRUSH represented, nor was it ever used as an acronym. In the U.N.C.L.E. novels written by David McDaniel it is the Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity, described as having been founded by Col. Sebastian Moran after the death of Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls in the Sherlock Holmes story, "The Final Problem". But in a second season episode, guest star Jessie Royce Landis plays a character who claims that she founded THRUSH.

THRUSH's aim was to conquer the world. THRUSH was considered so dangerous an organization that even governments who were ideologically opposed to each other – such as the United States and the Soviet Union – had cooperated in forming and operating the U.N.C.L.E. organization. Similarly, when Solo and Kuryakin held opposing political views, the friction between them in the story was held to a minimum. Although executive producer Norman Felton and Ian Fleming conceived Napoleon Solo, it was the producer Sam Rolfe who created the global U.N.C.L.E. hierarchy, and he included the Soviet agent, Illya Kuryakin. Unlike the CIA or MI6, U.N.C.L.E. was a global organization of agents from many countries and cultures.

The tie-in to Sherlock Holmes is a bit interesting! Very Happy

It was always Thrush, if you watch the pilot, it is obvious that they dubbed Wasp over Thrush. They changed Thrush to Wasp at the last minute because they didn't think Thrush sounded ominous enough. They then changed it back to Thrush because they were afraid that the audience would think "White Anglo Saxon Protestant" whenever they used the name Wasp. Laughing

Sam Rolfe said that someone on the show came up with Thrush, which has a obscure meaning for 'death rattle'. The TV show gave an entirely different origin for Thrush in "The Adriatic Express Affair, than McDaniel. I believe that in the episode, Thrush was started in 1920s, but I haven't seen the episode in a long time.

McDaniel wrote the best U.N.C.L.E. novels, he told people that he wore a Walther P-38 in a shoulder holster when he wrote the books.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: