ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Westerns
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord, what a wealth of great information, guys!

Thanks so much for sharing all that stuff with us. And keep it coming!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many terrific themes for the various western TV shows!

Laredo, High Chaparral, Cheyenne, Lawman, and Wild, Wild West to name but a few.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still some old theme songs from westerns nestling in my head - after all, the time will come when everyone will know the name of Champion, the Wonder Horse, right?

I've been watching the earliest episodes of Wyatt Earp lately, as he cleans up the country, the old Wild West country, and makes law and order prevail. It's interesting that he usually avoids shooting people if at all possible; after all, this was a relatively mature show, and these early episodes, at least, have, pretty much, a continuing storyline.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the title theme for this show! Ain't heard it since I was knee high to coyote, so I went alookin' for it on that thar YouTube — and by jingles, here she is! Very Happy

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
No matter what his personal problems were, I have never seen a bad performance from Neville Brand.

Pow wrote:
Mike Landon did not want Williams around.Guy was taller & just as good looking as Landon.Landon did not want that kind of competition.

That is funny, because Michael Landon was the shortest member of the cast. I saw him once on the Tonight show, and he told a story about the beginning of "Bonanza". There was a battle between Loren Greene, Pernell Roberts and Dan Blocker over height. They all started wearing lifts in a bid to be the tallest. As one added more lifts to their boots, the other two followed. Michael Landon said that he didn't know about lifts at the time, and he thought that he was getting shorter. Laughing

Pow wrote:
Both Steve McQueen & Nick Adams were somewhat short & slight in their builds.

Steve McQueen was like Michael Conrad, in that his lack of stature didn't bother him at all.

David.

Guess it depends upon the source regarding Bob Conrad & his feeling regarding his height.

Dick Cagney, Bob's assistant, friend, & stuntman on TWWW, said that Bob was not bothered about his stature.

Legendary stuntman Whitey Hughs who was the stunt coordinator on TWWW stated that Conrad was sensitive about his height.

I love TWWW & the fistfights on that show with Bob & his team remain incredible to this day!
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
I've been watching the earliest episodes of Wyatt Earp lately, as he cleans up the country, the old Wild West country, and makes law and order prevail. It's interesting that he usually avoids shooting people if at all possible; after all, this was a relatively mature show, and these early episodes, at least, have, pretty much, a continuing storyline.

Wyatt Earp was known for trying to capture people alive. When "Deadwood" came on, there was an article in the paper about foul language in the old west. The article stated that despite what the producers claimed, it wasn't that common. Wyatt Earp was known for his proficiency with foul language. He would use it to shock people that wanted to gunfight into inactivity. He would then walk up to them, and 'Buffalo' them. Buffaloing, is where you strike someone over the head with your pistol butt.

David.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better a bash on the head, and hurt feelings, than a bullet in the gut, I think. It's wonderful how much vintage tv is available on YouTube - if they have all six seasons of Wyatt Earp, that's 229 episodes, apparently. All aimed more at a grown-up audience, like Gunsmoke, rather than the shows we watched at around five o'clock, like Roy Rogers, Annie Oakley, and many more.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
All aimed more at a grown-up audience, like Gunsmoke, rather than the shows we watched at around five o'clock, like Roy Rogers, Annie Oakley, and many more.

Yes, they even had a specific label for them: Adult Westerns. At my age, however, it didn't mean much to me. All I could see was the hats, the guns, the horses, and the boots. All the subtleties of character and personal ethics were lost on my youth. Rewatching them now serves them up with a whole new perspective.

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh O'Brien Or What's left Of Me is High's recently released autobiography.

An excellent website on TV westerns is westernclippings.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have watched Wyatt Earp, since the theme song has stayed with me, but I think Gunsmoke was scheduled too late in the evening for someone my age to stay up and watch... a bit like Dragnet, which I could often hear the opening music to from my bedroom! In Britain we had hardcover "Annuals" with comics, photographs, features and stories, and I do remember waiting eagerly for the advance-ordered copy of the Roy Rogers Annual to reach our local shop. Such things are collector items now... though you do need to check to see if any picture puzzles or quiz pages have been filled in by the original owner!

It's strange, westerns were such a big part of the media for many decades; before television came along there were pulp magazines, including "western romance" for the ladies, and comics, and all those movies and serials, but over recent decades the genre seems to have lost its way...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
An excellent website on TV westerns is westernclippings.

Hey, this place does indeed look good, Pow. Thanks.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
"Have Gun - Will Travel" was a great show. Paladin had his gimmicks. His six gun was suppose to be a custom handmade weapon. He kept a derringer behind his holster belt buckle, and he had a special, short rifle. I once read that they never ventured further than six miles from the studio for location work, that is how undeveloped the land was back then.

David.

Pye-rate, Eadie's MommySan (Eadie's mom) and myself have been watching Have Gun - Will Travel on HEROES AND ICONS (A RECENT OFFSHOOT OF METV) and have noticed an oddity: Many of their later episodes do not have the opening narration by Paladin!
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to IMDB, Have Gun--Will Travel did travel out of Hollywood for some location shooting for certain episodes.

Those locations were } Kanab, UT, where quite a few Death Valley Days episode were filmed.

Sierrita Mtn, AZ, Sonoran Desert, AZ, Tucson Mountains, AZ, Superstition Wilderness, AZ , Tortilla Flat, AZ, Old Tuscon, AZ, Apache Junction, AZ, Ironwood Forest National Monument, AZ, Apache Trail, AZ.

And Bend, OR.
Krel

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
According to IMDB, Have Gun--Will Travel did travel out of Hollywood for some location shooting for certain episodes.

Those locations were } Kanab, UT, where quite a few Death Valley Days episode were filmed.

Sierrita Mtn, AZ, Sonoran Desert, AZ, Tucson Mountains, AZ, Superstition Wilderness, AZ , Tortilla Flat, AZ, Old Tuscon, AZ, Apache Junction, AZ, Ironwood Forest National Monument, AZ, Apache Trail, AZ.

And Bend, OR.

Since I posted what I did, I have been watching the show on the H&I channel. So unless there are mountains, and Death Valley is within six miles of the studio, they did travel for some episodes. Laughing

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Conrad was noted as one of the few lead actors who did the majority of his own stunts while on TWWW.

While on TWWW he observed that it took a lot of time setting up the elaborate stunts the show became so well known for doing. By having Conrad do his own stunt work it cut down on the costly production time.

Plus, the athletic Conrad loved doing the action scenes.

He became close friends with the stuntmen on TWWW.
Conrad hired legendary stuntman Whitey Hughs to be the stunt coordinator on TWWW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: